Letters From Jack

Truth

Zoey ran a hand through her hair as she looked at him, not really knowing how to break this news to him. She didn't feel like she was in danger. She knew there was a part of him that could never really hurt her physically.

"I need to talk to you, Jack." She finally managed to say.

"About what?" He snapped, "I thought you left Gotham."

"I did leave, but I had to come back."

"Why?" He hissed.

"Because. . . I'm pregnant!" She blurted out, and then tears began rushing from her eyes.

He looked at her, his painted mouth slightly dropped. He couldn't believe the words she had just said. She was pregnant? He licked over his lips and then thought about what had happened before the big break up between them. They had slept together without protection. He shook his head, "Are you sure?" He whispered.

"Positive." She said, "Seven weeks tomorrow."

He sighed, running a hand through his freshly dyed green hair. He didn't know what to say, what to do. This wasn't suppose to happen. Not for him. He wasn't meant to be a father. This lifestyle wasn't for him. He watched as she slowly walked over to his bed and sat down. Her hands were clasped together on her lap. She just looked down towards the floor, not really saying anything.

He swallowed hard, not knowing what to say himself. He was going to be a father. In less than eight months a baby was going to be born. His baby. So many emotions were rushing through him as he starred at the woman he loved more than anything. He couldn't help but to let his eyes roam down towards her stomach, which was covered by a small leather jacket. She didn't look any different, though he assumed that she wouldn't actually gain weight for several months.

"You're pregnant." He said, speaking for the first time in quite awhile.

She looked up and him and simply nodded her head once. He couldn't form any more words, as he walked over and sat down beside her. He swallowed hard yet again as he shook his head. How were they suppose to raise a child?

"I. . .I'm sorry." He said, after a few more moments of silence.

She burrowed her brows together and shook her head as she looked at him, "You're sorry?" She asked.

He nodded his head, "You hate me for getting you pregnant, right?"

"I don't hate you. . . I'm not mad about being pregnant, Jack. I'm actually looking forward to being a mother."

He looked at her stunned. She was looking forward to being pregnant? She was looking forward to being a mother? She was looking forward to growing round with his child?

"I. . . you want to be pregnant?" He asked.

"I didn't have it planned out. But now I do want it, yes."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because, a baby is a miracle."

"You're pregnant with. . ." He licked over his lips, "My baby. . ." He forced out, "and you're okay with it?"

She laughed lightly, and rolled her eyes, "Of course, I'm okay with being pregnant with your baby. Your the only man I've ever loved. I would freak out if I was pregnant with anyone else's."

"When did you find out?"

"About a week ago, from a home pregnancy test. But, I just went to the doctor the other day."

"Is it. . . uhm, healthy?" He asked.

She sighed, "I'm assuming so. It's about the size of a lima bean at the moment. So it's hard to tell."

He nodded his head, and then shook his head, "I'm so sorry." He whispered.

"I told you, don't apologize for getting me pregnant."

"I'm not sorry about that." He snapped looking at her.

"What are you sorry about?"

"I'm sorry for not telling you the truth."

"The truth?" She asked.

He replayed the morning of the fight over in his head again. It wasn't that he didn't want to settle down with her and have kids. He was just scared of failing his children and not giving them a good child hood. He didn't want them to endure what he had lived through.

"I'm just. . . I don't want to fuck up with my kids, okay? That's why I don't want them. If I don't have a kid, then I don't have to worry about being a failure."

"That's why you don't want kids?" She asked.

"Yeah." He admitted, looking at her.

She sighed, and shook her head, "You won't be a fuck up." She whispered.

"Look at me." He said, pointing up and down to his attire, "I shouldn't be a father to anyone. I can't even make a relationship work." He mumbled.

"You're being too hard on yourself."

He groaned, "You're too good to be true, you know that?"

"What do you mean?"

He didn't say anything. He just thought about everything else she could have done in this situation. She could have never came back to tell him about the baby. She could have stayed away from him and raised their child with some other man in the picture pretending to be it's father. She could have destroyed the baby, because it was his. But she didn't. She came looking for him to tell him he had a baby.

"You're just such a good person. I'm sorry for all the shit I've put you through."

"Jack, you haven't.--"

"I'll give it up. Just. . . give me some time, okay?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Image