Letters From Jack

The Parents

Zoey ran a hand through her hair as she looked over at Jack who was sitting in the passenger seat of her vehicle as she drove towards her parents house. Concealer was on his cheeks to cover some of my scars, although they were still noticeable. He was dressed in a pair of ripped up jeans, and a hooded sweat shirt. His brown eyes starred out the window, not liking the fact that in a little less than a hour he was going to be facing the people who took Zoey away from him.

"Will you get that sour look off your face?" She asked.

"Sorry." He mumbled.

"Why are you so unhappy about seeing my parents?"

"Because their the reason you left Gotham to begin with. Not to mention they hated me years ago. I've now got their daughter pregnant. I'm seriously doubting they like me any better."

"First of all, it wasn't Dad's idea to move. I think he just pretty much goes along with whatever mom says, and I secondly, I really think she's sorry Jack."

"Whatever." He mumbled.

She sighed, and pulled the vehicle off the road. She shut the engine off and then looked over at him. He starred over at her with an emotionless face.

"Jack, you can't just walk in there with an attitude."

"I don't plan on it."

"You've got an attitude with me right now!" She scolded.

He sighed, and then realized how he was acting. He licked over his lips and looked at her, "I'm sorry. I just. . . I don't want them to dislike me too much. After all they are the grand parents to my. . . our baby."

"They won't hate you. Just give them a chance, Okay?"

"Okay." He stated.

She started the vehicle back up and then got back on the road. He stayed quiet the remainder of the ride. He didn't know what her mother was going to think when she saw him. He most defiantly wasn't an eighteen year old love struck male any more. He was a twenty five year old man, who was deeply in love with the mother of his child. He just hoped Claire understood that even though he didn't finish high school, he was going to do his best to provide for his family.

"I. . . uhm, If they ask me what my job is. . . what should I say?"

"I don't know. . ." She stalled, "Tell them you work with the public or something.

"Public?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. "I can't even tolerate the idiots who work for me. How do you expect me to work in the public?"

"I don't." She giggled, "That's why we should tell them you do."

He sighed, "Not funny."

"Really though. What's your dream career?"

"I don't have one."

"Sure you do. Didn't you once tell me you planned on opening up a costume store?"

"When I was younger."

"What happened to that career?" She questioned.

"I grew up."

"Jack!"

"Okay, fine. It's hard to open up anything without a GED, dear."

"Well then. We'll get you a GED as soon as you let go of this alter ego."

He laughed, but his laughs soon went quiet when she pulled into the drive way of a very nice home. She cut the engine and looked over at him. "Are you ready?" She asked.

"I might as well be. We're here."

She breathed in deeply, and looked at him with a half smile on her face. She opened the door and stepped out of her vehicle. She heard him shut the door his door. He walked around and met up with her. She swallowed hard as she walked towards the front door. She had phoned ahead and let her parents know that Jack was coming along with her. Even though her mother Claire wasn't thrilled with this news, she was just happy to hear that Zoey was coming back home for a couple of days.

Her mother didn't like the idea of Claire moving to Gotham officially, but decided that she wouldn't push her opinions on her daughter any longer. As long as she visited often, then she was leaving the decision up to Zoey. She had come to terms with the fact that her daughter was now an adult who was capable of deciding on how she wanted to live her life.

Zoey turned the knob to the house and then walked in. Her mother came walked towards her and embraced her in a tight hug. "I missed you so much!" Claire squealed out. Her dad walked up next and hugged her tightly.

The Joker felt very awkward as he stood there and watched the three of him hug. He cleared his throat, and then three pairs of eyes landed on him. "Mom, Dad, this is Jack." She smiled.

Kenneth, her father, placed his hand out, and The Joker shook it lightly. Claire surveyed him from top to bottom, and slowly a unsure smile appeared on her lips. "It's nice to see you again, Jack. You've grown up." She laughed.

Jack nodded his head and Zoey took his hand in hers and pulled him towards the couch. The two of them sunk back into the comfortable cushions as Claire and Kenneth asked them about the long drive. They chatted for a bit, and then Zoey began to yawn.

"I think that means baby and I are sleepy." She said, patting her stomach.

Jack couldn't help but to grin when she referred to the baby. He looked at her, and she held out her hand for him, "You coming with?"

He nodded his head, and said good night to her parents. The two of them walked down a hallway and inside a room. He looked around and realized this was probably the room Zoey had slept in for the past seven years of her life. It was very big, and spacious.

"That wasn't so bad." She stated, walking over to the closet and pulling a large t-shirt out.

"I guess not." He said, as he watched her change quickly, and pull down the covers.

"You coming to bed?" She asked.

He licked over his lips, not knowing that he would be sleeping with her.

"Oh come on Jack, it's not like you can get me pregnant." She said, hoping to ease the tension.

He half smiled, and then crawled in bed next to her. She moved her way into his arms, and his muscles tensed up. Soon though he began growing comfortable with her. He wrapped his arms tightly around her and kissed her head.

"Night." She mumbled.

"Good night." He said, starring up at the ceiling, wishing sleep would take over his body.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image