Letters From Jack

Discussion

Zoey woke up the next morning with her limbs tangled with Jack's. She smiled, as she pulled away from him and starred up at his face. The make-up which had been covering his scars last night had worn off in some places. She reached her hand up and stroked his cheek. She still couldn't believe they had made this much progress in just a few days. She just wondered if he was telling the truth when he said he would give the Joker up. He had been so determined to keep the act before. What had changed? Was he really wanting to have that family with her now?

"Jack, wake up." She whispered, leaning down and kissing him on the rugged scarred flesh of his cheeks.

He stirred slowly, and then eventually his eyes opened. She starred up into the brown orbs that she was so in love with. He closed his eyes, yawned, and then reopened them. "Go back to bed." He said, leaning his head over and closed his eyes again.

She giggled, "Come on, Jack. We need to get up."

"No. we don't."

"We do, now get up."

He sighed, as he watched her crawl out of the bed and head for the closet. It was funny watching her small body toss through the large amounts of clothing she had packed inside. In that moment, he recalled her career. How was she suppose to keep up with modeling when her body would be expanding over the next eight months.

"What about your job?" He asked.

She turned around, sucking lightly on her bottom lip. "I quit." She stated, "They gave me a year off, and then I could decide if I wanted to renew my contract, but I don't think I will. The baby needs a stable mom who has a job which has predictable hours. With modeling, I never knew when I was going to work, or having to travel. I don't want that."

"You're looking for another job?"

"Maybe not right now." She stated, "I have some money in the bank to live on for awhile. But after the baby is born, I'll probably start looking."

"No, you're not." He said, shaking his head. "It's my job to provide for you and. . . the baby." He said, and then realized he had quite a bit of work to do in the next eight months.

"Jack. . ."

"No, you're not working. . . Ever. Working is a man's job."

"Jack, I honestly don't want to sit at home all the time." She laughed.

"You're the mother who takes care of the baby!" He scolded, "You're never working again. End of discussion." He spat, tossing the covers off his legs.

"You wanna shower?" She asked.

He nodded his head, and she tossed him a pair of his jeans and a sweat shirt from the luggage they had packed. She opened the bedroom door and pointed down the hallway to a room. "That's the bathroom."

"I need the concealer." He stated, looking at her.

She handed the tube of make-up to him, and then he took off down the hallway. She was aware of how uncomfortable he must be. She was hoping to make this stay with her parents as short and as comfortable as she could. She just hoped everything went well. She had only planned on staying for a couple of days.

She knew she needed to find a good doctor in Gotham City. She didn't know how she actually felt about staying in a abandoned warehouse or old broken down home. It wasn't the type of environment she wanted to be around while being pregnant. She decided this would be a topic she and Jack needed to discuss before they went back to Gotham.

She grabbed her own clothing, and took off for the other bathroom. She was hoping she could finish with her shower before Jack finished his. Her dad was probably already gone to work, but her mother Claire was probably wondering around the house.

He walked out of the bathroom after getting a hot shower, and change of clothes. He had also applied the make-up to his scars and made them look almost as if they'd didn't exist. He was placing the clothing in a dirty hamper in Zoey's room when there was a knock on the door. He spun around and watched as the devil herself walked into the room. He starred at Claire with intensity in his eyes. This woman had never liked him, and then she took away the one he loved most.

"Hello Jack."

"Hi." He mumbled, not wanting to be too rude.

"I just wanted to talk to you for a minute, if that's okay?"

"Sure."

She sat down on the bed, and he slowly drifted over and took a seat beside her. She breathed in heavily and then exhaled. "I need to apologize for what I done. I had no clue that you two were so. . . in love all those years ago. I really thought I was doing her a favor by leaving that city, but I see now that I was simply holding her back."

He really didn't know what to say, so he just simply nodded his head.

"I'm sorry Jack, do you forgive me? I don't want you to hate me. You and Zoey are giving me a precious gift, a grand child."

"I forgive you, Claire." He muttered.

"Thank you. I know you'll take good care of my daughter, and grand child." She said, before patting him on the back and walking out of the room.

It wasn't even a minute later, Zoey walked into the room. Her long hair hanging down dripping wet. She held a wide tooth comb in her hand, as she looked at him. "Did my mom talk to you?"

He nodded his head once.

"Did she say something bad?"

He shook his head, "Nothing bad." he said, and smiled softly at her. "Everything is going to be alright." He smiled.

She smiled at him and walked over to where he was sitting. He pulled her down on his lap, and then his hand stroked over her stomach for the first time since he became aware of her being pregnant.

"I promise." He said in a stern voice, "everything is going to be alright." He whispered.

Zoey didn't know if he was talking to her or to the baby. But she believed him when he said everything was going to be alright. She knew it'd take time, but things would eventually work out for the two of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image