Letters From Jack

Waves Of Guilt

Zoey sighed as she looked inside her massive closet filled with clothing. She knew the time had come for her to talk to Jack about possibly living somewhere other than a hideout, but she didn't know how to go about asking him. She nibbled slightly on her bottom lip as she looked over at him. He was laying on her bed, flipping through the channels on the television, looking extremely bored.

"Jack?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I talk to you about something?"

He looked her way and nodded his head. He turned the television off and patted the empty space next to him. She sat down and then sighed as she looked at him. Having this conversation with him was not something she was looking forward to. She didn't quite know how he would take it. Would he be angry with her? Would he think that his hideouts weren't good enough for her? She decided to approach this question a different way.

"Where are we going to live once the baby gets here?" She asked.

"What do you mean where?"

"I mean, like do you plan on us raising our child in a hideout?"

Her face went to horror, "Of course not!" He scolded, "What kind of father do you think I'm going to be? My child will be raised in a home, not some broken abandoned crumbling mess."

She smiled softly at him as she leaned over and pressed her mouth against his for a soft kiss. She wanted to push even further and ask him what about now. What about during her pregnancy? But she was kind of scared to ask him anything else.

"You want to ask me something else, don't you?" He asked.

"Mind reader." She mumbled.

"It's not mind reading. It's just knowing you better than anyone else. What is it?"

"Are. . . am I going to stay at the hide out when we go back to Gotham or should I invest in an apartment again?"

"You're staying with me." He said quickly.

"So, the hideout?" She asked.

"I guess. Why? You don't want to stay in the hideout. . ." He assumed.

"I'm scared." She admitted in a soft voice.

He allowed his eyebrows to meet in the middle, forming a wrinkle crease as he looked at her. She was scared of something? Didn't she understand that he would protect her?

"What are you scared of?" He asked.

"Just how durable the hideout is, or what would happen if someone attacked. . ."

He nodded his head and could see what she was talking about. The floors were weak and could possibly collapse at any time, which wasn't exactly safe for a pregnant woman. Not to mention he had a long list of enemies who were dying to find out his location so they could come in and murder everyone in slight, which was also not good for a pregnant woman. Especially a pregnant woman who he loved more than anything, and who was carrying his first born.

"We'll figure something out, okay? I'll get you something."

"Jack, it's not that I mind. . .--" He cut her off.

"I know. You're worried about the baby. I am too. Didn't I promise you that everything would be okay? I'm going to take care of things. I'm going to take care of you, and I'm going to take care of our baby."

She nodded her head and then wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. It meant a lot to her that he was willing to step up to the plate and not only take care of his child, but her as well.

"Jack?"

"Hmm?"

"Are we together again. . . or are we just having a baby together?" She asked.

He pulled away from her and studied her face for a few moments. He licked over his lips as he looked at her. He had assumed the minute she told him she was pregnant they were back together, but a woman's mind worked differently than a mans he assumed. They needed reassurance. They needed certainty.

"Yes, we're together, Zoey. We'll always be together, Okay? Nothing could rip us apart."

She squealed lightly with delight and then tossed her arms around his neck yet again, burying her face into the crook in his neck. She kissed him softly on the exposed skin, and then sighed against him. "During our whole time apart I kept thinking about you. I think I knew deep down I could never replace you. I would never even try to replace you Jack. I love you so much. I'm so glad you're the only person I'll ever be with." She whispered.

He was instantly hit with waves of guilt, knowing he couldn't say that back to her. She had once been the only woman he had intercourse with, but he could no longer say that. He had technically had sex with Midnight. He sighed, hoping that subject never got brought up. The last thing he needed was a pissed off pregnant Zoey bitching at him for a mistake.

"I love you so much." She mumbled.

"I love you too." He said kissing her temple.

"It's only ever been you Jack, only you." She said, and he wondered if she was saying that to make him feel guilty. Did she know what he had done?
♠ ♠ ♠
Image