Letters From Jack

Quality Time

Zoey cuddled closer to Jack as they lay on the couch watching a sci-fi movie on the television. She really didn't care about the movie that contained aliens trying to take over the human species. She was more concerned with being this close to Jack for a little while.

"You watching the movie?" He asked, after a few moments.

"Not really."

"Then why are we laying here?" He laughed.

She looked up at him and smiled, and then she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. He tensed up when he felt her soft lips against his scars. He didn't know if he would ever be used to her being this close to him.

"You wanna go upstairs and turn in early?" He asked.

She shook her head, "Nope. I want to spend as much time with you as I can. I don't get this quality time often you know."

Jack's lips curved up into a smile, "I'll try better, okay?"

"Promise?"

He licked over his lips. He really didn't like to make promises either. But he had already made her one that stated he would take care of everything, so what could another hurt? He leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips. "I promise."

"Let's just talk. I feel like we hardly talk anymore."

"What do you want to talk about?"

"Tell me more about what you do. I can do without the gorey details though." She warned him.

He laughed, "What do you want to know?"

She grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers together. There were many things she wanted to ask him. Though she felt like beating around the bush with simple pointless questions first would be the best way to approach things.

"How many people do you have working for you?"

"Six at the moment."

"You added two?" She asked, remembering he only had four before.

"Actually, I added four. The other two are dead."

"What happened?"

"I killed them." He said, without any remorse for the crime he had committed.

Zoey's eyes widened a bit as she looked at him. He had killed his own workers? She licked over her lips trying to recall which two he called. Was it the bearded man who dropped her off one morning? The muscled man? The short hair blond woman? The tattooed man?

"Which two?" She questioned finding herself becoming curious as the moment passed.

"Dopey and Midnight."

She raised an eyebrow, not really knowing which two they were. He could tell she was confused.

"The girl and the man who took you back home that morning."

"Why'd you kill them?"

"I found them annoying."

She nodded her head. She could tell he was annoyed by the bearded man when she was around him. He seemed to not know when to keep his mouth shut. But why did he kill the blond woman? She had never really heard him talk much about her. When he briefly described his workers to her one night, he said she was loyal.

"Why did you kill the girl?"

"Because."

"Why?" She pestered him for an answer. She could tell he there was more to the story than he was giving her.

"Zoey, we're not discussing this."

"Why not, Jack? What happened?"

He groaned loudly, not wishing to have this conversation with her. He didn't want to talk about Midnight anymore than he needed to.

"Nothing happened." He snapped standing up, "The slut is dead, okay? No further questions."

She was flabbergasted by his sudden attitude change. He had rarely snapped at her since the beginning of being in Gotham. She swallowed hard as she looked over at him, not really knowing what to say or do.

"I didn't mean to snap at you." He said, after a few minutes.

"Something happened. I know you too good, Jack. What happened?"

He groaned loudly and looked over at her. He couldn't keep this a secret forever. The guilt was slowly eating at him. He hadn't even been able to touch Zoey in a sexual way since they had got back together. She would soon think something is wrong with her if he didn't start showing her attention soon. He decided he would just admit it. She couldn't hold it against him forever. They weren't together when it happened.

"I fucked her, okay?" He put it bluntly.

She looked at him with her mouth slightly hanging open, not really knowing if he had just admitted that or not. She licked over her lips and then shook her head. She then realized he had probably fooled around with her before they met again. He was a man after all.

"When?" She asked.

"Not very long after our argument."

She looked over at him and shook her head. She then angrily stood up and walked past him and up the stairs. She couldn't believe he had sex with her after making so much progress with Zoey. Was he really willing to move on that quickly?
♠ ♠ ♠
Image