Letters From Jack

Bruce Wayne

Zoey walked down the streets of Gotham taking in all of the scenery, and hoping she remembered where things were. She had already went grocery shopping this morning, so now she was taking this time to explore the city. Her heels clicked against the concrete of the side walk as she walked down the street, smiling at people who were passing. She hardly ever got a smile back, and she thought that was rude. What was wrong with these people? They were walking so quickly, and not stopping to say hello to their neighbor.

Deciding that this just wasn't a friendly town, she walked inside a coffee shop and looked around. The small shop looked friendly enough. She walked over to the counter and ordered herself a cup of hot chocolate. She watched as the young boy behind the counter starred at her for a few minutes before even fixing her drink. She sighed, feeling slightly uncomfortable.

She stood there, tapping her foot as she looked inside and saw what donuts they had for sale. She couldn't find one that she thought would hit the spot, so she looked away. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a very good looking male. He was tall, and had a good complexion. He was dressed in a button up blue shirt, and a pair of black pants. He looked very sharp with his hair gelled back.

"Here you go Mr. Wayne." The boy behind the counter said, handing him a drink.

She rolled her eyes. She had ordered before him, but yet he had got his drink before her. She waited for a few more minutes, and then finally the boy handed her a cup which contained her hot chocolate. She walked over and grabbed a magazine off the stand and found a booth by the back. She slipped inside and began flipping through the glossy pages. She read a short article about Britney Spears fighting for custody of her children, as she sipped away on her drink.

"Hello." A deep voice said.

She looked up from the magazine and starred deeply into a pair of bright ocean blue eyes. It was the man who had received his drink before her, even though she had ordered before him.

"Hi." She said softly.
"Is this seat taken?" He asked.

She shook her head, and then he slipped into the comfortable booth, "I feel like an idiot sitting by myself." He laughed.

She smiled, "You don't like being alone?" She asked.

He shrugged his shoulder's, "Being alone doesn't bother me. I actually lied to you, I don't feel like an idiot sitting by myself. . . I just thought a beautiful girl like you shouldn't be sitting by yourself."

She blushed, and then smiled, "My name is Zoey Anderson."
"Bruce Wayne. Are you from around here?"
"Sort of. I grew up here, but then moved. I'm back for a couple of months though."
"Anderson, it sounds familiar."
"My father is Kenneth Anderson."
"Oh, the doctor?" Bruce asked.

She nodded her head, and sipped on her drink, "We moved away about seven years ago."
"You're the girl that survived the accident. . . aren't you?" Bruce asked.

Zoey sighed, "Yeah. . ." She said softly, wishing he wouldn't have brought that up.

Bruce instantly felt bad for the way he put it, "I'm sorry. . . I didn't mean."

She laughed, "It's fine."

He frowned, "So, what are you back in Gotham for?"
"Just re-tracking my past." She replied honestly.

He nodded his head, "I feel like I've saw you somewhere before."
"A possibility, I've been in a few magazines."
"You're a model?"
"Yes. I'm not really famous or anything, but I've been in a few fashion magazines. I'm signed with Ford at the moment."

Bruce smiled, and then they continued to chat about their lives. He seemed down to earth and friendly. Once she finished her drink though, she was ready to hit the door. It wasn't that Bruce wasn't a nice guy or uninteresting, she was just wanting to explore the city more.

"It was fun, but I must be going."

He frowned, "I understand. Hopefully I'll see you around."

She smiled, "Possibly."

She then walked out of the coffee shop, and out on the streets once again. She took off in the direction of her apartment, hoping she passed something that caught her attention on the way. Gotham seemed pretty boring, and much like any other town.

She made it to her apartment and noticed two women standing outside the apartment next to her. She fumbled with her key, and over heard some of their conversation.

"Did you hear about him robbing that bank?"
"Yeah, did you hear about him and Batman getting in a fight last night on Eastern?"
"That man is insane! Gordon needs to step up and just take him out for good."
"You know they'll never be able to take the Joker down for good!"

She walked inside and shut the door behind her, feeling slightly guilty for listening to their conversation. She had been doing a lot of that lately. She was hearing things she shouldn't hear. Slipping her shoes off, she walked over and sunk down on the couch, and turned the television on. She caught the end of a newscast.

"In other news. . . No leads to the whereabouts of the Joker, who is responsible for the recent robbery of Gotham's National Bank."

Then there was a picture flashed on the screen. Zoey shuddered as she saw the man with the painted face. It was a gruesome picture that would give anyone nightmares. It scared her enough to turn the television off immediately.

"Who the hell paints their face like that. . ." She mumbled to herself.