Letters From Jack

Susie Napier

Zoey sipped on her coffee and nibbled on her toast, as she read over yet another letter from Jack. She had to admit that she liked the ones from when she was around the age of fifteen better than the others. She could see how much more comfortable he had grown with his words over the years, and that led her to believe that they were also comfortable in a relationship with each other.

As she was reading the letter, she came across a familiar name. Susie. He had said in a previous letter that she read that he was moving in with her soon. In this letter he was talking about how much his grandmother loved that she had visited. Zoey bit down on her bottom lip as she walked over and grabbed a phone book that had been left behind. She didn't even know if Susie was her name or just a nick name, and she had no clue if her last name was Napier, but looking through the phone book couldn't hurt.

She looked through all of the Napier's until she found a name that could possibly be Susie. Suzanne Napier. Instead of calling, and possibly freaking a person out, she decided to just go and stop by her house. She jotted down the address on a piece of post it note, and then walked off to grab her jacket. She figured she could just say she was looking for a woman she knew from her youth.

After grabbing her jacket, and post it note, she grabbed her keys and was out the door. She started up her vehicle and glanced down at the address. It was only about two miles from her apartment. She listened to the radio as she drove down the streets of Gotham. It wasn't long before she turned down the street and then parked her vehicle in front of the house. It was a small house, with a white fence around it. It looked a bit old and run down. There was a old grand am car parked in the drive way.

She sat there for several moments debating on if she should actually go and see if the woman was in fact Jack's grand mother. Would the woman want to see her? Would the woman even remember her? She shook her head, and decided that it was worth a try. After all, this was the reason she was in Gotham again. She shut the door, and then pulled her jacket tightly around her petite body as she walked towards the gate. She opened it, and then walked up the steps and onto the porch. There was a cat laying in front of the door. She petted it softly on the head, and then knocked on the door.

She stood there for at least a minute before she heard any sounds coming from the inside. Then she heard a smoker's cough, and a mumble of words. She was about to walk away when the door opened up, revealing a elderly woman in a sleeping gown. Her Grey hair was tied back in a bun, and she had oxygen tubes shoved in her nostrils. "Can I help you?" The woman asked in a strained voice.

She half smiled, "Yes. . . uhm, I was looking for a Susie Napier." She said softly.

The woman blinked, and then looked the girl up and down. Zoey felt slightly uncomfortable as the woman's brown orbs looked her up and down.

"What business do you have with her?"

"I just. . . I. . . I wanted to talk to her about something."

"About what?" The woman said, kind of snappy.

Zoey licked over her lips. She had a gut feeling that the woman standing in front of her was in fact Susie Napier. "I wanted to see if she could help me find someone."

"He doesn't want to be found, Zoey." The woman said, as her wrinkled hand clutched onto the wood, ready to shove the door in her face.

"Wait, Please!" Zoey pleaded, "Please, Susie." She said.

Susie sighed, "What are you doing here child?" She asked, moving away from the door way, and walking back into the home. She left the door open, and Zoey didn't know what to do. Was that a offer to walk in? She couldn't even complete her thoughts. "Well come in. Don't let all of the heat out." The woman snapped.

Zoey walked in, and shut the door behind her. She looked around and noticed how homey the place was. She listened for someone else, but heard nothing but silence. Then Susie let off a loud cough that turned Zoey's stomach. She could tell this woman was very ill.

"Take a seat." Susie snapped, as she adjusted the tubes in her nose.

Zoey sunk down into the couch, and the smell of cat urine flooded her nostrils. She normally didn't have a weak stomach, but the odor was strong. She assumed it was because Susie wasn't capable of cleaning after the cat. She tried to breathe out of her mouth instead of her nose.

"So, you're back in town and looking for who exactly?" Susie asked.

"Jack." She said, his name rolling off her tongue felt weird. She was looking for someone who she couldn't even remember.

"Why are you looking for him? You made it clear you wanted nothing to do with him."

"How did I do that?" She asked rather confused.

Susie laughed bitterly, "Your letter."

Zoey shook her head, "I don't remember writing a letter. I just found a box of letters from him actually. I had no clue who Jack Napier was until a couple of days ago."

Susie raised an eyebrow, and then slowly raised up out of the chair and wobbled her way over to a dresser. She fumbled in a top drawer for a few minutes, before returning over to where Zoey was. She handed Zoey a piece of paper. It was odd, and looked as if something had been spilled on it. She opened it up and revealed a page with words in letter form. The letter was typed, instead of written. She scanned over the words on it and shook her head, "I didn't write this. . type it or anything."

Susie looked at her oddly, "What do you mean you didn't type it?"

Zoey shook her head, "I can't believe she did this."

"Who did what?" Susie asked.

"My mom. . . I know it was her. She hid everything from me." Zoey whispered.

Susie closed her eyes and leaned back in the recliner, "I told him it wasn't from you. . . I told him it wasn't right. I told him you'd be back for him." She whispered.

Susie opened her eyes and looked at Zoey, "Tell me, what happened. . ."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image