Letters From Jack

No Hope

Zoey swallowed hard, and then looked at the woman sitting opposite of her. She licked over her lips, "When I woke up, I didn't remember anything. I still don't remember much from my youth. It's like those fifteen years didn't exist." Zoey said, and took in some air, "I remember the healing process was awful. I had a broken arm, and leg, and many bruises. I just stayed in bed for a month before we moved. I felt so lost and abandoned."

"You didn't remember him at all?" Susie interrupted her.

Zoey shook her head, "I didn't even remember my parents. I was scared at first, but then doctors explained everything to me. My mom then showed me pictures and tried to remind me of who people were but it did nothing. I still didn't remember."

"Let me guess, no pictures of Jack."

Zoey shook her head, "We moved a little bit after my accident. . . I eventually made new friends and moved on with life. I came home from a trip a couple of days ago, and was looking at the album from my youth. I then found a picture of Jack that I had hidden behind another one. I guess my mom hadn't found it. I confronted her about it, and she lied at first. I then over heard her and my father talking about a box. When she left the next morning, I went in search of it. That's when I found the letters, locket, cards, and ring."

Susie's mouth was dropped, and her breathing was heavily. Zoey didn't know her condition, so she wasn't sure if she should go in detail about the confrontation with her mother or not. She decided to just skip all those details, "I ended up finding out the truth, and then I left for Gotham in hopes of apologizing to him for anything my mom done."

Susie shook her head, "After all these years. . ."

Zoey didn't know what else to say or do. She didn't know whether Susie planned on giving her Jack's contact information or not.

"Do you know how I can uh. . . contact him?" Zoey asked.

Susie's head darted upwards and she shook her head, "Sweet heart, you don't want to do that."

"I need to Susie, I need to fix things. I feel horrible knowing that my mom did that to him."

"Things have changed with Jack. . . He's. . .I don't think you should be here." Susie said, standing up from her chair, "You need to leave, Zoey. Just go, and leave Gotham as well."

Zoey frowned, "Please, help me. I came here and I'm not leaving until I find him."

"It's better if you don't find him!" Susie nearly screamed, "Please, I'm trying to help you." She said, and Zoey could see the fear in the elderly woman's eyes.

Zoey didn't understand, "Susie, please. . . I can't live like this anymore. I need." She whispered, "I just need to meet him. I need to know him."

Susie shook her head, "You're better off without him. Trust me, Jack isn't the same anymore."

"I don't care." Zoey said, "He was apart of my past. He may be the only one who can help me remember what happened. No one knows what it's like to not remember anything for over half of their life."

Susie shook her head, "He isn't the boy you were in love with. He's still my grandson, and I love him, but he's not the same."

"I don't care. I want to see him."

Susie wanted more than anything to give Zoey his contact information and hope that she could stop him from going even further into this life he had chosen. She knew that Zoey was the only person possible of pulling him out of the madness. But she also wasn't going to risk this young girl's life for him. He had changed over the years. He was no longer the young free spirited grand son she had raised. He was a vicious man who cared about no one besides himself. He had even cut off most emotional ties with her. She would occasionally find an envelope with thousands of dollars inside on her porch, but beside that she had no contact with him. She just knew what he done. The only time she saw his face was when he appeared on her television with paint caked across it.

"I don't know where is he. . ." Susie said, licking over her lips, "and I would advise you not to look for him. You're not going to like what you find. Just take those letters and hold them close to your heart. They're probably the only thing that represent the old Jack." She said.

Zoey didn't know what else to say. She had said everything she could. This woman had no answers for her. She started for the door, but before she could open it she turned around and looked at Susie.

"Did he love me?" She asked, "Truly love me?"

Susie nodded her head, "He loved you so much. He still loves you. He'll never stop loving you. Loving you is the only thing that kept him sane, and without you. . . there was no hope for this city." Susie said.

Zoey didn't understand what she had meant, but turned around and walked out the door anyway. She walked down the steps and then towards the car. She climbed inside, and then sat there for several moments without moving. She decided that she wasn't going to give up looking for Jack. One way or another, she would find him.

When she arrived home to her apartment, there was something taped on her door. She scrunched her face up in confusion as she grabbed it, and unfolded it. It was some sort of invitation.

It was an invitation to a party hosted by Bruce Wayne tomorrow night. She looked around and wondered how he knew where she lived. Had he followed her home? Had he been watching her? Had he somehow got information about her? She then remembered telling him that she had moved into the apartment complex. He had probably got her apartment number from the front office.

She opened the door and walked inside, debating whether or not she wanted to attend the party. She then smiled when she realized that going to a party couldn't hurt. She could possibly meet someone who would link her and Jack back together. . .
♠ ♠ ♠
Image