Letters From Jack

The Party

Her hair was hanging down in slight waves, and her make-up was done to complete perfection. Diamond earrings hung from her ears, and around her neck was the locket she had found in the box. She decided to wear it. Not only did it look vintage, but it was beautiful. She walked out of the bathroom, and picked up her black satin dress from the bed. She dropped the towel that hung to her body and then pulled the dress up on her body. It fit tightly to her small frame, and showed a bit of cleavage. She smiled as she looked in the mirror.

She was slipping on her black high heels when her phone began ringing. She thought about ignoring it, but then saw her agent's name blinking on the screen. She heard Ryan's high pitched voice fill her ears, and she allowed her eyes to roll, "Hi Ryan."

"Oh Zoe! How are you dear?"

"I'm good."

"Enjoying Gotham?"

"Very much so."

"Have you had a chance to look around the town?"

"Briefly. Is there something you needed? I'm suppose to be going to this party. . ."

"What party?"

"A party hosted by Bruce Wayne." She said, hoping he would allow her to get off the phone that much quicker.

Ryan let off a high pitched laughter, and then she heard clapping on the other end of the phone. "Goody goody! Have fun at the party doll. Be nice to Brucey, and chat it up with him. I'll phone you later! I've found you a photographer in Gotham, but we'll talk more about that later. Go have fun!" He said, and then the only thing heard was silence. She rolled her eyes yet again as she shut her phone.

She placed her cell phone in a tiny purse, and then sprayed a bit of perfume on. She double checked to make sure she had her apartment keys, and then walked out her front door. Most people would feel nervous about going to a party in a new town where they knew no one, but it didn't really bother Zoey. She was a people person and could really talk to anyone.

She had to park nearly two blocks away from the location of the party. That bothered her a bit. Bruce Wayne should have made sure parking was suited better for his guest. She walked the two blocks down the street, and noticed several others had to do the same. They were checking invitations at the front door. She was glad she had remembered to bring hers just encase. The security guard smiled at her, as she walked inside. She caught the elevator with a group of nicely dressed women and men.

She stepped out into the room where the party was being held. She began walking around, and eventually picked herself up a glass of wine. She sipped on the wine as she walked around. A few people said hello to her, and she introduced herself and talked briefly to them before moving on. She really wasn't finding any of these people entertaining.

Everyone turned their attention towards the giant window, and she done a eye roll as she watched Bruce Wayne walk in with three models. She swallowed back the contents of her glass, and then moved over to a corner and watched the people of Gotham. She was having a good time watching a couple argue from a distance when she felt a cool hand tap on her shoulder. She turned around and smirked at Bruce.

"You came." He stated.

"Of course, after all I did have an invitation taped to my door."

He chuckled, "I'm glad you could make it. I was afraid you would think I was being a bit pushy."

"Not at all."

"Are you enjoying yourself?"

She shrugged her shoulder's, "I don't really know anyone."

"Well come, I'll introduce you to some people."

Over the next hour she was introduced to Harvey Dent, Rachel Dawes, and James Gordon who was the lieutenant of the police station, who also happened to be an old friend of her father.

"How is Ken? I haven't saw him in years." Gordon asked.

"He's fine, working in Athens."

"And Claire? Lovely as ever?"

She just nodded her head, and soon he lost interest in talking to her and was caught up in conversation with Harvey Dent. She took this as her time to walk away. As she was walking away, gun shots were heard through out the room. Everyone screamed, and dropped to the ground in crouching positions. Slowly Zoey turned around and saw a man dressed in a purple suit, with white paint caked on his face. He also had four masked people behind him.

The crowd erupted in a riot, and people were shoving as they tried to make it towards an exit. Only a few people escaped before the masked helpers blocked the exit. She starred towards the man with the painted face and shuddered when he spoke.

"Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. . ." He said, and she closed her eyes, and tried to drown the rest of his horrific voice out. She was aware of his presence around her, but she couldn't open her eyes. She pretended to be in another world.

The Joker poked an old man in the chest as he walked down the line intimidating individuals. This was all a game to him. He wanted to see how many people he could make piss their pants by the end of the night. He chuckled darkly at an old man, and then continued down the line until he was standing directly in front of a beautiful young woman who had her eyes sealed shut.

He swallowed hard as he took in her appearance. He shook his head, closed his eyes, and reopened them and looked at her again. Memories flooded his head. She looked so much like Zoey. So much like the girl he had loved more than anything. He was about to grab her face, and allow her to be the victim of the night, but then his eyes landed upon a golden locket.

His heart felt like it was being ripped out of his chest and stabbed a million times, before slowly being placed back inside him. He placed his hand on the locket and she jumped back, opening her eyes in the process. He stepped forward and clutched his hand around the locket. He flipped it over and read the initials on it, and then looked at her. Their eyes locked for several moments.

He couldn't believe it. After all these years, she's here and wearing the locket he gave her. In one swift movement, he ripped the locket from her neck, and then took off walking towards the doors, leaving everyone standing there wondering what the hell was going on.

Batman appeared a few minutes later, ready for a fight, however the Joker was long gone. His eyes landed on Zoey for a moment, and then he disappeared out the window. She couldn't even breathe right. Her chest was tight, and she didn't know what to say or do.

She had her locket ripped right off her neck, but that wasn't what bothered her so much. It was how familiar those deep brown eyes seemed to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image