The Princess and the Pea

Princess Jesse 1

It was the beginning of summer and Jesse was not outside enjoying the sun. She was sitting next to her uncle as he lay in his bed, dying.

Uncle Darin was the only family she had. Something happened to her parents when she was born, but her uncle never spoke about what happened. He loved her, took care of her and taught her how to survive in this life, so she never complained or questioned. Uncle Darin was the family she lost at birth. He was her home.

Now, he lay in his dark bedroom, dying. It was more than her heart could bare. First to have lost her parents before knowing them, then lose the only family member she ever knew. All of her careful composure was ready to fly out the window. Everyday she took care of her uncle in his sick misery and tried to stay cheerful so that his last days were not filled with gloom. She made dinner, did the chores, took in some sewing to make some money and cared for Uncle Darin. It was amazing she could keep on the cheerful mask.

She was only 19. So much responsibility and she had just turned 19 years old.

“Jesse.” It was her uncle. His voice had become softer and more strained these last few days, but her ears were trained to hear him from anywhere in the house. Her hearing picks up his voice specifically, waiting for any indication of how else she can help him. “Jesse, I have something important I have needed to tell you.”

“What is it, Uncle?” She looked at him worriedly, even talking was a difficult strain these days. She did not want him to become too exhausted.

“You are not actually my niece.” His eyes were filled with sorrow and agony.

Jesse could not believe her ears. Dear old Uncle Darin had lied to her all these years? Why? She remained silent because she was overwhelmed with this piece of information, and he continued speaking.

“You’re mother dropped you off at my house one day. I was a trusted advisor of hers, we were like brother and sister. She had been hearing rumors of someone trying to kill you, so she asked me to take you far away and hide.”

“Why would someone want to kill me?”

“Because you were the heir to the throne.”

“Excuse me?” Me? The heir to a throne? Impossible! Thoughts raced through Jesse‘s head.

“You are the daughter of a king and queen. You are a princess.”

“But that’s impossible, Uncle Darin! I can’t possibly be a princess. I wasn’t raised to curtsey or drink tea! I was raised to mend clothes and tend to chickens. My hands are too coarse to belong to a princess.” She took her hands out as proof.

“I taught you how to live as the country folk. I taught you how to fend for yourself and what it’s like to have no help. I taught you how to use your mind and skill to survive. This is the knowledge a princess needs to run a country.”

“Ok… But why was someone trying to kill me? It seems a little wrong for someone to want to kill a baby.”

“You were not supposed to be born. Your mother was told she was not able to bare children and it was a beautiful miracle that you were born. The kingdom was so excited. They love your parents. The king and queen are the kindest rulers in a century. Your mother’s younger sister was always jealous of the throne. She always wanted to obtain it. So, naturally, when you were born she wanted to get rid of you.”

“Why? I didn’t do anything.”

“Jesse, it was the mere fact that you existed to carry on your mother’s line. The kingdom is passed through the women of royal decent. You would be the next to rule and not her or her line of descendants. You spoiled everything for her, so she planned to dispose of you.

“Fortunately, your mother caught wind of her plan and thus asked me to care for you. She told me that you were to return on your 19th birthday. That is when heirs become eligible for the throne. Unfortunately, I could not take you back on your birthday. As you well know I am too sick, but haven’t figured out how to tell you everything until now.”

“What do I do now? I already turned 19, I missed going back on my birthday.”

“Jesse, you must go back. I am too old and sick. I am dying, you must make the journey on your own.”

“I don’t even know where this castle is! I don’t know anything about these people! I don’t even want to run a country. I am happy to be here, in this little village, sewing clothes and baking bread. I never wanted to see more of the world. They probably forgot all about me anyways. I probably don’t even need to go back anymore.”

“Jesse,” Uncle Darin closed his eyes exhaustedly. “Jesse, if you do not return, the kingdom will be passed on to your mother’s sister. She will be a terrible tyrant. And if she had children, they will rule and they will be terrible tyrants like her. You have to go back. To keep the kingdom from tyranny, like your mother wished of you.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“What’s there to think about? You will go,” his tired voice was still able to sound stern.

“Don’t push me, Uncle,” Jesse began her heated rant. “In the span of a few minutes I have just learned about a life I never knew that apparently I belong to. I just found out my parents are alive and I’m living with some guy that my mother loved like a brother and I believed was my uncle for 19 years. So, forgive me if I need some time.”

“I am sorry, my dear, I was wrong to rush you. Take all the time you need, but remember my days are few.”

Jesse’s eyes softened and once again she was looking at the man who had been her only family for 19 years. “I’m sorry for snapping, Uncle. Just give me a little time.”

With that she walked out of his room and closed the door.

*****

Three days later, Uncle Darin died. A week later his funeral was held. A few families came. Jesse and Uncle Darin did not socialize more than they had to, so only a few families chose to come honor him.

As the pastor said a few kind words that had nothing to do with the Uncle Darin Jesse knew, she was mentally packing her belongings. She knew if she loved her honorary uncle, she would return to the castle.

*****

Three days later she had packed up everything she thought she needed and could carry in her bag. She had spent half a day sewing a bag that she could carry on her back, so that she could walk farther before she would become exhausted. She baked everything she had in the house; mainly loaves of bread. She found some other items of food that she thought would travel well and packed them. The last thing to take care of was the house, she figured she would never come back, nor would she travel very far without some money. Uncle Darin had a little money, but they practically lived on nothing year round. Fortunately, a rich man in the village decided to buy the house to rent out. She hoped it would be enough to get her to the castle.

After she told Uncle Darin she would return to the castle he told her where it was and how to get there. He had smiled peacefully when she told him she would return.

“It’s called Kikistra,” he told her. “I have a map that will guide you there. It’s in the bottom drawer of my armoire. It is a good thing I taught you how to read a map.”

Early in the morning Jesse woke up and gathered all of her packed belongings. She had her last breakfast with milk, because she knew it would be a few weeks before she would have it again. Afterwards she walked to the edge of town just as the sun started to rise and the lazy little town was waking up.

“Good-bye, Redford. I will miss you dearly.” With those words she turned her back on the village and journeyed towards her new life.

After about two days of camping, walking and more dust than she ever wanted to be covered in, she came to a little town. She took the opportunity to stay at a cheap Inn where she could have a bath and a hot meal.

Once she had cleaned herself up she joined the other occupants of the town in the only bar-restaurant. She sat quietly eating her food trying to watch the people without making eye contact. Jesse was not a fan of socializing. Plans of making her way across country towards Kikistra filled her mind when she was unhappily interrupted.

A particular rowdy, unclean and rotund young man had noticed her eating alone and decided to introduce his unpleasant self.

“What’s your name, gorgeous?” He asked loudly and impolitely.

“Where are your manners?” Jesse replied sharply without looking at him. “Didn’t your mummy teach you to ask before barging in on someone’s dinner?”

“Oooo! She’s got a quick tongue, this one!” He gruffly called to his ’band of men.’ They laughed heartily. “I’ll tell you how well she can use it later!” He roared with gruff laughter.

Eww, how vulgar, Jesse thought. “Sir, vamoose. You are unwanted.” Fortunately, she was finished with her meal and she made a movement to stand up.

“What did you just say to me?” The guy leapt to his feet and his face had immediately turned beat red. His eyes looked like they were ready to rip something apart.

“I said, ‘go away’ to put it in terms for your ape-like mind.” Jesse may have been an unsocial girl in her town, but she never could take a vulgar idiot quietly. She was a fighter to the end.

“No one tells Bart Masterson what to do!” He bellowed in Jesse’s face. With that, the entire room got quiet.

“Oh, you have a name? I thought you were just called ‘Gross.’”

Bart snapped at that moment and slapped Jesse full in the face. The blow was enough to cause Jesse to double over. “No one talks that way to me! You little, ungrateful wench!”

“You sir! How dare you hit a lady!” Jesse looked across the room to see a man standing up from his table. He was slim, clean and was like day to Bart Masterson‘s night.

“Excuse me, Mister--” Bart paused nastily, waiting for the name.

“Names aren’t important. You hitting a lady, though, that is abominable and needing to be addressed.”

“You can’t tell me what to do. I’m--”

“Bart Masterson. We know, we all heard you or know you, for that matter. Poor towns-folk living here with the likes of you. Now, you are going to go quietly and leave this pretty young lady alone.”

“I was going to say, I own this tavern. You can’t throw me out of here,” Bart said condescendingly.

“Well, then, the lady and I will remove ourselves from your despicable place.” The handsome young man had walked over to Jesse and offered his arm. “Lady?” he asked with an air of regality.

Without answering Jesse timidly took his arm and allowed her to usher her out. She was so surprised at the turn of events that she stared at the handsome stranger the entire way out of the tavern. Bart was yelling obscenities after them and a few folks followed them out, muttering about his crudeness.

Once they walked a few paces outside Jesse regained her voice. “Thank you, kind sir. I think I’ll just head to my room now.” Jesse turned to leave him.

“Wait--”

She paused.

“I must know the name of the beautiful maiden I rescued.”

“Oh, was I merely a damsel in distress? And are you my prince charming who came to my aid when I needed it most?” Jesse batter eyes pitifully and clasped her hands mocking the stereotypical distressed damsel. “I was handling myself fine without you,” she ended seriously.

He chuckled. “You were only egging him on with answers like that. Couldn’t you tell he was a monster and likes it when girls put up a little fight?”

“Well… Anyways, I was fine without you, but I thank you all the same. It did save me a hassle.”

“So, will you repay your rescuer with a name?” He pulled Jesse’s hand to his lips as if to persuade her.

“I don’t think I will. If we meet again, then I maybe you will find out my name. But I highly doubt we will have another encounter. Good night, sir.” With that said, Jesse turned and walked towards her room to sleep for the night.

*****

She slept well and woke up at sunrise. As the sun rose she bathed one last time and repacked her belongings, slung them on her back and resumed her journey.

By noon blisters that she had gotten on her feet were open and bleeding. The only pair of shoes she owned were not optimal for long distance walking. She took a break and decided to have some bread. After a few minutes of resting she heard the usual sound of horse hoofs in the distance. When horses and riders passed she never acknowledged them. This time though, the horses did not continue on, they stopped next to her. Jesse looked straight into the eyes of the handsome stranger from last night.

“Well, well, well, look who I’ve run into.” He was smiling as he got down off his horse and walked over. The others who were with him stayed on their horses.

“Are you following me?”

“Indeed not, Lady, we left town only two hours ago. It probably took you much longer to come this long way on foot. Will the lady honor me with her name now that we have encountered again?” He grinned.

“Jesse.”

“Ahh, Jesse, that’s a pretty name. It is nice to make your acquaintance, Jesse.” He held out his hand to shake. “I am Bryan.” Jesse shook his hand and he smiled kindly. “So, Lady, where are you headed?”

“Kikistra.”

“Really? The City of the Palace? That’s funny because we are headed that way, too. Would you like to join us? We have food and water and can provide a horse for you at the next village.”

“Very tempting Bryan, but I think I will decline. I am not one for socializing.”

“But why travel alone? How will you defend yourself against the wild animals that roam these lands, or the men you may encounter like Bart?”

Jesse remained silent, thinking his proposition over.

“You will also reach your destination sooner with us and with less blisters.” He glanced down at her bleeding feet and winced.

“I can handle myself.”

“I know. I witnessed that last night.” He chuckled at the memory.

“And I can deal with a little foot pain.”

“I’m sure you can, Lady, but why deal with it if there is no need?”

She sat quietly, mulling things over. There was a kind air about Bryan that made her want to trust him, but she was not sure she should.

“My own horse?” Jesse finally asked.

Bryan grinned. “Yes, just as soon as we reach the next town, until then you will have to share with me. If the lady approves.”

“Will they mind?” She nodded towards the five men still on their horses.

“No, of course not. You’re more than welcome to join us.” He sounded pleased. “Have you rested enough? Because we would like to get to our next stop before nightfall.”

*****

Bryan talked about the many things he had seen and discovered in his travels. He talked about Kikistra, which he loved dearly. He talked about the pets he owned. He talked and talked and talked. Jesse merely sat behind him throwing in an ‘Mmmhm,’ ‘yeah,’ or ‘oh,’ when it seemed appropriate. Otherwise she was completely free to wonder about palace life and look at her changing surroundings.

After a while Bryan remembered to introduce the five men with him. Gus seemed to be his good friend and chimed in the conversation the most. He was fairly friendly. John was an older man that did not seem to fit into the group of younger men. He seemed to be only there for advice and scolding, as if to keep them all in line. Geoff, Jim and Dave were big and muscular. They stayed to the back and remained silent for the entire trip. Jesse was slightly frightened by their presence.

In a week of travel, they finally made it to Kikistra. Jesse had grown fond of everyone on their journey and did not want to say good-bye, but the time came. At the city gates they parted.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come stay at my house? There is plenty of room.”

“No, I just need directions to a cheap inn in town.”

“Ok, but if you change your mind, send a messenger my way and I’ll come get you.”

“Alright.” Jesse intended no such thing. She had planned to spend this last night alone, getting herself mentally ready to face what was on the other side of the castle walls.

Bryan gave her directions and they split up. She was actually sorry to see them leave, despite her claims to be unsocial, she quite enjoyed their company.

Once she got her room at the inn, she decided to walk around the city. To see the sights as a commoner before she went behind the prison walls as she had grown to think of them. They must be prison walls. All the princesses I hear about can’t do anything by themselves. It must be a miserable life, Jesse thought.

She took in the smells of the city. The sights. The sounds. She was afraid she would never get to see another town like this again, as a free agent.

Later, when it started getting dark, Jesse returned to her room and slept one last time as a commoner. Tomorrow, she knew, she would go to the castle, and claim her throne.