‹ Prequel: Kiss the Flame
Status: New Direction

Rekindle the Flame

Chapter 2

About 15 minutes later Billie, Adrienne, Mike, Beth, Tre, Toby, and Sabrina were gathered around a large table in the middle of Jerlando’s. Seniors were whupping and hollering as young graduates do. At other tables sat the family members of the friends who were engrossed in their own conversations leaving Sabrina’s table alone to themselves.

Wine was beginning to flow as conversation started around the contents of the menus. Sabrina looked over to where Tre was sitting and started musing to herself. As the radio hummed softly in the background the woman let the music flow over her to soothe her mind. An old song soon started which gave both Sabrina and Tre a start.

Picture perfect memories scattered all around the floor.
Reaching for the phone 'cause I can't fight it anymore.
And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time.

A small gasp left Sabrina’s lips as her mind recognized the song and fast forwarded to the chorus.

It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now.
Said I wouldn't call but I've lost all control and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without.
I just need you now.


Leaning over the empty seat that their son have left she pointedly looked at Tre; “Do you know how many times I felt like that?”

Another shot of whiskey, can't stop looking at the door.
Wishing you'd come sweeping in the way you did before.
And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time


“Do you know how many times I did do that?” he replied softly. “Sabrina we really need to talk.”

She sighed softly, “I know but not here. Later tonight after everyone is gone…” Tre nodded as Sabrina’s sentence drifted off.

As the dinner progressed Beth noticed that Sabrina and Tre were actually contributing to the flow of the table’s conversation without biting each other’s head off. She nudged her husband who was sitting next to her just as Sabrina and Tre turned to talk to each other. A raised eyebrow was all the answer she needed that she wasn’t the only one noticing the strange behavior. A gentle hand squeeze reassured her that they would talk about was they saw in private later on in bed.

“But what is he going to do? Lord knows I hope I haven’t raised him to be like a Hilton or Kardashian where he doesn’t do anything in particular but party. I trust but I’m still worried.” Sabrina spoke quietly to Tre as to not draw attention to the private conversation that was starting.

Tre looked at the worry lines around the older woman’s face. Sabrina had aged well for being 65 years young but he could tell that TJ with his non-communication was getting the best of her. He gently placed his hand on her forearm and said, “Whatever TJ decides it will be right for him and we need to give him some room. Hell I’m 53 and I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.”
Hanging her hand Sabrina nodded. “I know but it’s just so hard Tre. I’m going to be alone for the first time in 18 years. Ramona has her new place and getting her own life going, that leaves me by myself and…”

“You’re scared, worried, and lonely,” Tre said finishing Sabrina’s thought. “We really need to talk.”

About 3 hours later found Tre and Sabrina sharing a bottle of wine alone in the living room. Everyone else had gone to their respected bedrooms. Seated at both ends of the couch as far as possible from each other the former lovers were wondering where to start. Taking a long sip of wine she placed the glass on the end table and started to wring her hands. “I…um… I don’t know where to begin Tre,” she muttered half to herself.

“Let me then,” Tre replied confidently. “Sabrina I was an asshole to you and for leaving you.” Shaking his head and pulling a deep swallow of wine he continued. “I was so blind… I mean how could I not see that you were the one for me and you didn’t deserve me.”

“That woman…”

“Jill, Sabrina. Her name was Jill and she was the worst mistake I ever made in my life besides walking away from you and our son that day. I don’t know what came over me but trying to make it right was blinding me to everything about my relationship with Jill. I mean the only times I ever cheated on her were with you. Nobody liked her at all and she treated them like dirt. But I just couldn’t be a failure again and I was damned and determined to make it work. In doing that I lost 11 years of my life I will never get back and I lost time that time with TJ too. And what did I get out of the time was misery and half of my earnings thanks to California and I won’t mention the surgery costs that she incurred while we were still together as she was priming herself up for the next idiot who fell into her claws.” The drummer seemed to lose steam as he neared the end of his rant on Jill and ended by just hanging his head. “I am so sorry Sabrina. I know nothing can change the past but maybe the future can be different.”

“You are really something you son of a bitch. You think with all those pretty words that I’ll come running back to you? I mean that’s what this is all for right? You’re getting older and need someone to share the rest of your life with and I’m just that one right? Jill was the spawn of Satan and that speech is all I need to forgive you? No way Jose, I don’t forgive you for anything. Your whole speech was about you you you and only a little about TJ and me. Guess what princess; it’s not all about you. These last 18 years have been rough on us. It’s been hard raising my son basically alone for the first 11 years. At least after the witch left your ass you did become a more hands on Dad but still the majority of work fell to me. Who do you think did homework with TJ, who do you think cheered him on at the games of the sports he played. Who do you think instilled in him a sense of caring for animals and fellow human beings; to give them the basic curtsey that you couldn’t give to us? It was me. Don’t get me wrong I have dedicated my life to my son and upbringing while you slept with Chucky’s Bride and I don’t begrudge a moment of it.” Sabrina swung a hand and connected with his face. The impact echoed through the room while a red imprint began to form on Tre’s face.

“I deserve that Sabrina and more. I want to prove to you that I have changed. Look I have cut back on my drinking and smoking. Both of those things got out of control a few times in the last couple years but I am trying my best and talking with a therapist about my issues on why I’m drinking. I was trying to escape the hell my life had become, numb the pain of ruining you and TJ’s lives, numb the pain of being in the wrong relationship with the wrong woman. God what I fuck up I’ve become.”
Sabrina jumped to her feet “That was an amazing speech. Too bad you can’t get an Academy Award for your performance. Now I am going to bed and you know where the door is located.” And with that she walked away from the drummer who was still nursing his sore cheek.

The slamming door resounded through the house and broke the spell that was being weaved in another bedroom. Lily white skin against tan tattooed skin in what was the beginnings of the oldest dance to man. With a sigh Beth untangled her arms from Mike’s and leaned upright against the headboard. Mike to his credit realized that this wasn’t happening and closed his eyes willing his hard on away. After taking a few minutes he too leaned up against the backboard and looked at his wife of 16 years. Knowing from experience she was always ready for conversation and this happened to be one of her pet topics; Sabrina and Tre.

“Well that went well,” she snickered.

“Beth, you know that I am not choosing sides. Tre is one of my oldest friends and Sabrina is one of my best friends. I cannot pick a side like you.”

“I know but come on. It’s the first time in literally forever that they are in the same place at the same time and even talking; its mind blowing. I mean I don’t know what the future has in store but I hope Sabrina doesn’t give in to him and by the sounds of that door slam I don’t think she will.”

Mike sighed again, “I want for them what we have. A deep love that runs hot and cold and always keeps us on our toes.”

Chuckling deeply Beth replied, “Yes that last fight was a hard one but wow… afterwards was well worth it.”

Mike and Beth’s legendary fights from before they got together through marriage a time that spanned over 20 years. The verbal parts usually ended with a slap to Mike’s cheek thanks to Beth. Afterwards though spoke to their deep love for each other. They lived and played hard and that worked for them most of the time. It produced their 2 children and adoption of their 3rd child. Said children were tucked into the room adjoining theirs but were sound asleep learning from a young age to ignore the raised voices and slamming doors.

“Do you think I should check in on her?”

“No it can wait til morning when she’s had a night’s sleep. Now since you are not moving from this bed and the chillins in the net room are knocked out… what do you say we knock boots ourselves?”

“Boy oh boy Prichard do you know how to spread the charm on.” Beth giggled and grabbed Mike’s nether regions and continued where they had left off.