Status: Ongoing

Eccentrically

Grace

Another day with Sara means another mind-blowing cigarette session.

“Light me up.” she said carelessly as she flicked her cigarette up and down her mouth. The scent of a newly opened box flooded my nose with all the earthy fragrance that accompanied it. I reached for the lighter beside me, ready to throw it on Sara’s lap but, however, failed. My hand grasped tightly on the cupcake shaped lighter, wishing that Sara would at least limit herself to a piece a day instead of finishing a whole box. “Go ahead, Grace.” she reminded me as my hands trembled.

I leaned my back on the wooden bench. “Sure?” I asked trying to make sure. The cupcake lighter was in a cute pink color, something inconspicuous to a parent’s eye. It could easily be mistaken as a normal cupcake with its intricate design or just a simple eraser holder. No parent would ever think that under the cupcake’s frosting was a trigger to open fire and light a cancer stick. “This is your 5th piece.” I said, trying to sound casual. “You might want to consider some breath mints, too.”

“Your jokes are never funny, Grace.” she said, reaching out to grab the lighter from my hand. “Now light it up.”

I shoved the lighter inside my backpack and zipped it close. “I think you’ve had enough for forever.” I said with a smile. Hopefully, this is convincing enough to get my friend out of her binge. Besides, my stomach is angry at me. I forgot to eat breakfast at home – again. “Let’s go grab some lunch.”

“You, bitch.” she hissed, throwing her unused cigarette to the bin beside us. This must’ve been a terrible sacrifice for someone like her. “Well, I am getting hungry.” Sara placed her palm on her stomach to stress her point. “What grub are you hungry for?” her hair flipped to the side as she turned to me.

“I was thinking of Chinese?” I said, standing-up to stretch my back. Sounds of my back adjusting emerged. “You?”

“You just read my mind.” Sara reached out her hand for me to pull. I instinctively held her palm and pulled her to a stand. The loaded keychains on her backpack jingled as she landed on her foot. “Let’s go to Dumpling Bowl.”

I nodded.

We walked together, arm-to-arm. As I looked from the side, I saw how slender Sara was despite her love of food. Her tank top highlighted her hourglass figure, and accentuated her thin legs. Of course I’ve always been jealous of her. Sara got all the boys she could ever want, got straight As without even trying and all the popularity air. I knew ever since she asked me to seat with her in lunch back at 8th grade that we were destined to be the best of friends. That my life will change as long as I stayed beside her along the way.

Sadly, it hasn’t happened yet. I’m still the third wheel. But I can wait.

A beam of light pained the corner of my eye.

“Was that a flash?” I heard Sara ask from beside me. “That hurt.”

My hands clenched on to my wallet, thinking that it might be some kidnapper. “I think so.” I replied, feeling the need to stride far away. “What was that?”

“Possibly some idiot.” Sara sneered, showing a face before walking inside the restaurant. “Let’s go.” she tugged on my arm. “I’m hungry.”

Sara pulled me inside the store, but my eyes couldn’t stop from staring at where the possible source of the light came from. Something told me that it was something rather important.

I hate my gut instincts.

***

“Their dumplings are so delicious.” Sara said as she used her chopsticks to maneuver the dumpling to her mouth – a skill that I’ve never quite mastered with my poor coordination. “Here,” she reached over a dumpling from her platter to my bowl. “Go taste their Pork Dumplings.”

I’ve always taken fond of dumplings. They have such cute shapes and names like Wonton and Siomai. “Thanks,” I said, feeling ready to stab my fork right on the center of the dumpling. “I’m already full with all these noodles.” My taste buds leapt for joy when I took a bite of the dumpling. It tasted delicious.

I think I’m going to order for more.

“You know what, Ace.” Sara said, adding those spicy flakes to her noodles. “I think I’m going to get pregnant without a father.”

What seriously?

I couldn’t reply right away – mainly because I can’t find anything substantial to tell her. “Just stating the facts.” she said, coming off nonchalantly. “Yesterday, his condom broke.” she took a sip of her beef noodle soup, taking her time to stop herself from being shocked of heat. “I was so scared.” I think my heart just skipped a beat.

“Maybe you should just stop doing it.”

Sara showed me her Calvin impression look. “Hell no,” she immediately returned, almost spitting out whatever she had inside her mouth. Oh, Sara, I love you so. “Sex is the best pleasure you can get.” Yeah, and now I can say how ‘unpleasureable’ my life is. Thanks for the info, Sara Hopkins.

I really needed that.

“Sara,” My voice became sort of a mother-like tone. “Just take a break from your hook-ups.” I advised, eating the rest of the dumpling. Once again, I think dumplings are heaven. “You could get hurt.”

“Says someone whose never been kissed.” She joked.

“Anyway,” I tried to change the subject. I’m already so uncomfortable with the very word, what makes Sara think I’m ready to do it? Maybe I’m immature. Okay, I really am. But I’m a late-bloomer. At least I know where I ground. “Here,” I said, sliding the plate of my Sweet and Sour pork. “Have some of my Sweet and Sour.”

“Don’t mind if I do.” Sara replied before smuggling all my leftover food. “Y’know what, Grace,” she pointed over a fork to my face, sort-of like an ambush interview, only with a fork. “You’re really beautiful. Just give it a try.”

“I’m asexual.”

“Yeah, right,” Sara scoffed. “Don’t think I didn’t see you hold THAT boy’s lips yesterday while he was asleep.” she reminded me with no remorse. “I know you like him.”

Okay.

Okay.

Okay.

So yesterday, Elijah was sound asleep inside the library. I really wanted to say goodbye because I came in with him. Okay, so I just wanted to hear his voice. Since Mrs. J was out back to pick-up the newest encyclopedias, I became a little daring and held Elijah’s lips. I mean, from afar, it looked very soft that I found myself wanting to touch it.

So, I did. And my hypothesis was correct; it was.

And that’s when I was about to lean in and kiss him. YES, kiss him. I wanted to have my first kiss right at that very second. With Elijah, it was perfect. I found him beautiful. I wanted him.

But I knew for a fact that he would never like me. So I just took the chance and bent down, ready to kiss him. He was the perfect guy + He was asleep + He wouldn’t remember anything about it = Perfect time; no strings attached.

He was supposed to be my first. Until Sara ruined my perfect moment.

“I’m not denying.” I said arrogantly. “I just, I just found him beautiful.”

“See!” Sara beamed, her eyes sparkled a brilliant color. “You admitted it!” she cheered, making me flush to depths of volcanic redness. “Now,” she looked at my plate, staring at all the hardly eaten food. So far, I've only eaten the dumplings. “Are you going to finish those?”

“Take it.” I said, pushing my plate towards her. “I’m not hungry.”

Maybe she’s right.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like how Grace is really weird inside. She's just really shy. ;D Anyway, I like making them cameo in each others chapter. Guess who that flash came from?

So, yeah, I haven't exactly established the setting. But I will do so soon. :) My stories will also be based on that setting from now on. Saves me time from doing all those names and whatnot. So, yes, this story is told in alternating points of view. So I guess you could say that Elijah and Grace's chapter equates to a single day. :)

This story'll be really long. I hope you can go with me along for the ride. XD

Tell me what you think, pretty please? :3