Status: Ongoing

Eccentrically

Grace

“Why are you smiling?”

Maggie pondered on my expression for a moment, taking in my possibly malicious grins and other eccentricities that were plastered on my face. We’ve been chilling over here at Porky’s for dinner, and I still couldn’t help myself. Since what happened yesterday, I couldn’t stop myself from smiling pathetically as it slowly becomes an obsession all together because of one person – Eli.

Last night, the two of us watched the flowing waters as the stars glimmered scattered across the sky. Surprisingly, I found him even more beautiful as the night deepened. He brought out a funny-looking camera which he called a ‘Diana’. I asked him if it was a toy, and he disagreed; it was an analog-camera he stated. Eli plugged a so-called flash that was a huge silver square and took a test shot on me.

“I’ll give you a copy.” he smiled. “Promise,”

And then Elijah asked if we could take a picture together. I nodded instantly, almost like an idiot, as we pressed our cheeks together to take-up the space needed. My face turned really swollen because of this new profound feeling. I could see Eli smiling, and I tried my best to relax because it looked like he was enjoying himself. So I shouldn’t feel so tense.

After that, the two of us took a late snack over at a 24-hour diner called Crumble. When I looked at my watch, it was already 3:30 AM. Eli, having a little too much pocket money, ordered his heart out, saying that he needs all the nutrients to stack up all the books in the library later this day.

“I’m smiling because,” I considered my words for a moment. If at any case Sara or Maggie might get caught up with me liking Eli, they might want him too. It’s always been the case for the two of them. I can’t take any chances because I want Eli to be mine alone, even though I know it’s quite selfish of me. “I’m happy.”

Maggie frowned slightly, returning to filing her nails almost triangle sharp. “Well,” she sighed, her eyes rolling. “If you don’t want to be honest and tell me,” she paused for a bit. “It’s okay.” I hate her interpersonal skills. Sometimes, you can’t tell whether she’s mad at you or not.

But I’m not planning on buying it, sorry to say.

“Yeah,” I said coming of rather snidely. In all the things between love and war, I never really planned on asking for so much than a simple and quiet life. It never really occurred to me whether I should be looking everywhere for the love my life. As long as I’d find the perfect person for me, I know that I’ll be contented. “It is.”

As I took another onion ring from the woven basket, I felt that if I wanted Elijah to think more of me than just a simple acquaintance: I’d have to be stronger. Not simply for others, but more importantly for myself.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt so alive.

“So,” I started to make small talk. “What’s up with you and your boyfriend?” Don’t ask me why I said boyfriend instead of her bf’s supposed name. I have literally no idea who he is because Maggie never bothered to introduce Sara and me in the first place. He’s supposed to be a secret, or so she claims.

Maggie’s eyes lit up. “Oh, Gracie,” Did I say something wrong? “I’ve grown absolutely intolerable of him.” her voice quickly became sullen as she placed her nail file over on the table and began munching on her Porky’s special, which Mag loves very much. She’s a pork addict. I’m surprised she doesn’t have high cholesterol level.

“I see.”

She smiled. “I’m looking for someone who loves me for who I am. I’m getting tired of jocks, Grace. I want someone different. I mean, it’s the least that God can give me. That’s all I’m asking for. I want someone who’s faithful. Someone’s who’s not a jerk. But he must be beautiful. A delicious eyecandy is the perfect boyfriend.”

“Okay,”

“You should really learn from me Grace.” she began to run her mouth once more. If I had a dollar for every time she ranted, I would’ve been such a rich woman. “I know what the good guys look like. And believe me, you’d be much happier.”

After that last sentence, she began to chase a hundred words per minute. Maggie talked about her dream boys, college plans and favorite chocolates. Believe me, I was already feeling a little sick even before I got in. Now I feel a too terrible, someone kindly give me an aspirin. Sleep deprivation will soon be the death of me.

But that was the case until I saw Eli outside over at the park. He had his Diana laced on his neck, taking pictures. I felt my eyes widen at the very sight of him, and I wanted to go out see him right away.

“Who’s that?” Maggie asked. “He’s,” she halted. “He’s my dream guy!” Maggie cheered out loud.

Oh, no, please.

“I don’t know him.” I shot back. My dream of Elijah being mine solo is slowly becoming crumbled. I am no match for Maggie. I’ve long gone accepted that. But she can’t have him. Anyone but him. I’d gladly help her get all the guys she wants as long as she’d leave Eli to me alone.

But as I was about say another word, she grabbed my hand and pulled on it tightly. Her eyes expressed determination, and I could only follow. I didn’t realize that she was pulling me towards Eli – only not for me, but for herself. She wanted him, but most likely not as much as I did.

I have to do something. Anything.

As soon as we got nearer, I roughly pulled my hand away from Maggie. From the side of my eye, I saw that Eli has noticed me. He didn’t smile, much as I expected (wanted) him too. “Stop it!” was all that I managed. All the words that I wants to say were caught up in my throat. I couldn’t speak. Now, I wanted to cry. Maggie and Eli’s eyes were set right on me. I gulped.

“Why did you do that?” Maggie sneered.

I couldn’t take it any longer so I ran away to the only place where I knew I was safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter came like a bubble.
Feedback?