Snake Bite Heart With a Bubble Gum Smile

Chapter28

The mirror in the dressing room stall reflects an image of me dressed in a skirt and shirt Jack picked out. I don't want to leave this room. I don't want to go out there and be scrutinized by others. Especially when "others" refers to my brother and Jack.

I know I do not look fabulous in these clothes. Skirts never did accentuate my legs. Its so short and black pleats are too much for me. This shirt is too tight for my liking, not to mention pin stripped. I could never pull of that print. It's also low-cut; I can see cleavage that should not be visible. My stomach peaks out from under the hem of the shirt. It's grotesque.

Or maybe I just have a distorted vision of myself.

How long have I been standing in this stall?

"August, get your ass out of there and show us your first outfit," my brother yells, agitated.

"No," I yell back.

"Why?"

"I look horrible. Just let me get a big tee-shirt and oversized jeans. Please."

"No. You will get clothes that fit you and look appropriate."

"Does that mean this lingerie set is out of the question?" Jack asks.

"Jack, I'm going to fucking kill you. Leave my sister alone," Alex yells.

"But, Alex," Jack whines.

Well they've forgotten about me.

"No 'buts'. August, get out of there," Alex continues pushing.

"No," I state.

I'm not leaving this dressing room.

Alex grumbles to himself. Sounds of him shuffling around meet my ears.

What is he doing?

"Who are you calling?" asks Jack.

He's calling someone?

"A friend," he replies.

Who the hell is he calling?

There is silence for a few seconds.

"Hey, it's Alex," my brother says.

He pauses.

"Yeah. I'm fine. August just won't come out of the changing room stall. You want to help me get her out?"

So now he's trying to get his friend to help him. That's not going to work.

"I noticed," he continues.

I can't believe this. He can't get me to come out of here by calling one of his friends.

"Okay, hold on for a second."

Alex's hand appears under the door, black phone in hand. The backlight shines in the slightly dim room. There is no name listed on the screen, just the number of the person called.

"It's for you," he says.

I take the phone from his hand and put it to my ear.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Hey, August," the person on the other end says.

That voice is extremely familiar.

"David?" I ask, excited.

"Aw, you remember me."

I laugh.

"So what's this about you not coming out of the dressing room?" he asks.

"I don't want to come out in this. I look bad."

"Does this have anything to do with Jack?"

He knows all.

"Kind of. It's Alex too."

"Look, Alex isn't going to hate you for looking a specific way in one set of clothes. From what I've heard, Jack holds you on a pedestal above the sun; even if you look like crap in the clothes you're in, he'll still like you. Though I'm sure you look amazing."

I smile. He can always make me feel better. I've missed his logical advice.

"Thanks, David," I say.

"No problem. Now get your butt out of there and show Jack how sexy you are. I'll talk to you later; I already have stories about this place."

I laugh, "Okay. Bye."

"Bye," he hangs up.

I take a breath and unlock the door.

Now or never.

Apprehension high, I open the door. Alex and Jack look up immediately. Jack's jaw drops. Alex's eyes are wide.

"Damn," Jack whispers.

"Well?" I ask.

"We are not getting that," Alex says.

"Oh, yes, we are," Jack contradicts.

"Stop being hormonal," Alex tells him.

"Stop being overprotective," Jack tells him, then turns to me, "Change and put that into the 'to buy' pile."

Cheeks flushed, I walk back into the dressing room.

That went better than expected.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to save your heart., He.Hates.Me, purpleconversegirl, Hello.There.Stranger, erinx3, purplemonster, xoNatasha5xo, Funhouse;;, soochie, followmedown, Mrs_Jessica_Midnight, SpondeeDactyl, xXScreamToBeHeardXx, Jersey's Colder, and FayeIsLost.
Thank you so much for the comments.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I love you amazing people.
I'm so sorry I didn't get to post yesterday; psych studying took longer than expected.
So I hope you like it.
Comment?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste