Snake Bite Heart With a Bubble Gum Smile

Chapter44

I awake in Alex's bed, alone. The sun peaks brightly through the curtains. I am late for school.

Why didn't anyone wake me up?

I jump out of the bed and rush to the door. It swings open before I reach for the handle. Surprised, I fall onto Alex's carpeted floor. Alex stands in the doorway, looking down at me.

"Hey, you're up," Alex says.

"Why didn't you wake me up? I'm late for school," I ask.

"You're not going to school today," he states.

What the hell is wrong with him? Why wouldn't I go to school?

"Why?"

"Come downstairs and you'll see why," he walks out of the room.

I remain on the floor.

What does he have planned? What could be so important that I have to miss school?

"August, come on," my brother's voice carries to his bedroom.

"I'm coming," I call, pushing myself to a standing position and leaving the room.

Someone better have died or that boy is going to get attacked.

My feet trudge down the stairs. I stop at the bottom of them and look around.

"Alex, where are you?" I call.

"Living room," he answers.

I shuffle towards the sound of his voice.

"Alright why am I—" I stop and gasp.

There is a banner across the living room that reads "HAPPY BIRTHDAY". Streamers and balloons infest the living room, leaving barely enough room to walk. On the table are presents and a cake. Alex, mom, and dad stand around the table. On their heads are cone shaped party hats that most children use for their parties.

They look ridiculous on a grown person's head.

"Surprise," they yell in unison.

"You remembered my birthday?" I whisper.

"Why else did you think you wouldn't be able to go to school today?" Alex asks.

"Someone died?" I return.

"Sorry, I haven't killed Jack yet. You're not missing school for his funeral."

"That's horrible."

"I try."

I laugh. My brother is so odd.

"Come sit down and open your presents," Alex instructs.

"You guys didn't need to get me anything."

"Well we did. So sit your happy ass down and open your presents."

I sit on the couch in front of the coffee table. Alex hands me the first present. My dad holds a camera, ready to capture my reaction. I rip the shiny wrapping paper off the rectangular present. I hold the contents: a book with my name across it. I open it, flipping through the pages. Various pictures of me from my early stages of birth to the year I ran away are attached to the pages. Captions describe each picture. The last picture in the book is the missing poster. The one that hung in so many stores before I was found. In bold letters next to it, it reads "Never Let Go."

"Is this my baby book?" I ask, looking up at my parents.

They nod.

"Thank you," I say.

They have pictures of me that I wasn't even aware of. They cared about me. They didn't stop caring. They just didn't know how to show it.

I open the next two presents. One is a CD from Alex's band. The other is new journal to replace my filled old one.

"Thanks so much," I say.

I am genuinely happy.

"Oh, we're not done yet. You still have two presents," Alex says. "Present number one, you can come out now," he calls.

Present number one moves?

"Look that way," Alex points behind me.

I turn my body. I immediately recognize the male standing with a smile on his face.

"David," I yell, leaping over the couch.

I embrace him in a hug.

"Did you miss me?" his voice is infected with laughter.

"More than you know."

"I'm here for a few days."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Alex told me to come so we can finish getting you adjusted to staying home."

I release David and turn to Alex.

"You did this?" I ask.

Alex nods.

"This means more than you know."

"I still have one more present."

I wonder what it is.

"Present number two, get out here," he yells.

Another moving present?

Jack steps into the room with a present bow wrapped around his neck.

What is going on?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to Acadia.Is.Gone, save your heart., erinx3, xScratchtheplans, sick little games;, poprockprincess, xoNatasha5xo, RosaxMcrmy, Mrs_Jessica_Midnight, Akayytoremember, v i v o l e t t e ., followmedown, xXScreamToBeHeardXx, you'rewonderfullove., and jayanne.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste