Lovely Wisdom

Off to Paradise

I slapped the alarm clock off and miserably rolled out of bed the next morning. I left my bedroom to the bathroom. I took a short shower, brushed my hair and teeth, then returned to my room. I got dressed into a black and white striped t-shirt and worn out jeans and black fingerless gloves that Gerard bought me for Christmas last year. I put on my shoes.

I threw on a little bit of eyeliner before I put some notebooks and binders into my messenger bag. I slung it over my shoulder, walked out of my bedroom, and ran down the stairs. I went into the kitchen to see my step-mother making breakfast.

"Hey Rachel," I greeted politely as I sat down at the den.

She looked over her shoulder and smiled at me. "You're up early. I thought you weren't a morning person."

"I'm not, but I didn't want to be late for school." I yawned.

Rachel was in her early forties and she still looked very pretty. She had dirty blond hair down to her shoulders that she usually wears in a ponytail before she goes to work, big crystal blue eyes, and she had a figure of a twenty-year-old. Frank once joked about her, saying "Athena, tell your dad he's the luckiest man on Earth!" Of course, childbirth didn't ruin her body in any way. My father just has good taste in women, I guess.

"What are you making?" I asked, trying to make conversation.

"Pancakes, do you want some?"

"Sure," I looked away to take out my iPod. I turned it on and put my headphones in.

"Dear mother,
Can you hear me whining?
It's been three whole weeks
Since that I have left your home
This sudden fear has left me trembling
'Cause now it seems that I am out here on my own
And I'm feeling so alone

Pay attention to the cracked streets
And the broken homes
Some call it the slums
Some call it nice
I want to take you through
A wasteland I like to call my home
Welcome to paradise

A gunshot rings out at the station
Another urchin snaps and left dead on his own
It makes me wonder why I'm still here
For some strange reason it's now
Feeling like my home
And I'm never gonna go

Pay attention to the cracked streets
And the broken homes
Some call it slums
Some call it nice
I want to take you through
A wasteland I like to call my home
Welcome to paradise

Dear mother,
Can you hear me laughing?
It's been six whole months
Since that I have left your home
It makes me wonder why I'm still here
For some strange reason it's now
Feeling like my home
And I'm never gonna go

Pay attention to the cracked streets
And the broken homes
Some call it the slums
Some call it nice
I want to take you through
A wasteland I like to call my home
Welcome to paradise..."


In the middle of the song, Rachel put down a plate of three stacked pancakes with butter and maple syrup all over it and a cup of coffee.

"Thanks," I ate the pancakes quickly and drank the coffee down to its last drop before I stood up and put the dishes in the sink.

"Do you need a ride to school?" Rachel asked me before I left the kitchen.

"No, that's alright. Gerard and Mikey are picking me up." I answered. I walked right passed Deanna.

She stared at my outfit with disgust. "You're wearing that to school?"

I'm used to her insults, so what she said didn't really bother me. "Sure, why not?"

"Deanna, be nice to Athena!" Rachel says that so many times that it should be her catchphrase every time her daughter insults me.

"People are going to make fun of you." Deanna said softly so her mother wouldn't hear her. Her predictions are never true. The only people that make fun of me are her and her friends.

"Well, I'm sorry I love expressing myself." I muttered sarcastically.

The doorbell rang. I looked through the peephole and outside stood my best friend. I opened the door and smiled brightly.

"Gee!" I shouted with excitement and hugged him.

"Oh, hello," Gerard laughed. "I've never seen you this happy to go to school."

"I'm not, just get me out of here." I whispered, taking out my head phones and wrapping the cord around my iPod before I returned it to my pocket. I closed the door behind me and walked beside Gerard. When I saw a black BMW in my driveway, I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at it in admiration. "Since when did you get a car?"

"About a month ago." He answered, smiling at the look on my face. "My dad bought it for me."

I looked away from his car to his eyes and cracked a joke. "Oh, big shot? Chick magnet?"

He rolled his eyes. "You missed so much when you were in Hawaii."

"Remind me to never go away on break again." I said and started walking toward the car.

"No, you should take me with you next time."

I opened the door to the backseat and crawled inside, dropping the messenger bag next to me. "Morning, Mikey." I greeted the person who was sitting in the front seat.

He looked at me and smiled. "Hey, Athena. You look great."

"Aw, you're sweet." I reached over and pat his head.

Gerard appeared in the drivers seat. "Okay, off to paradise!" He shouted in a sarcastic manner.

Paradise? Right, and I'm a fucking farmer!
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter will be better, I promise!

Comment? :)