Status: short story!

In the Land of a Thousand Guilts

o8.

Justine opened the front door as Kale stood there, both arms in his pockets and smiling. She stepped aside, closing the door behind him.
"Hey."
They hugged, Justine kissing his cheek.
"Hey. Come in."
He smiled at her as she led him to the livingroom. They both plopped on the couch, Kale chuckling.
"Nice place."
"Thanks. I like it."
Kale smiled, and looked around. He spotted a few pictures of Justine as a child on the beach, at ballet class, and in her cheer uniform. She was grinning her million watt grin, the same one she has now. Her hair was still a light blonde, and in some photos, she had braces. She was adorable.
"So, you are here to meet the infamous Cujo, right?"
Kale nodded and smiled as Justine stood up, and walked to the bottom of the stairs.
"Cujo!"
A few seconds later, the little puppy patted down the stairs, wagging his tail and his tongue hanging out. Justine picked him up, walking back to the livingroom. She sat beside Kale again, making sure her puppy could see him.
"Now, Cujo. Meet my friend, Kale."
The puppy sniffed his hand that he had extended, and showed his teeth in a growl. Kale slowly pulled his hand back, looking back at Justine.
"Cujo, stop it."
She gently shook the dog once, making it look up at her. He whined, and she placed him on the ground.
"He's not like that, I swear."
Kale shook his head, and gave her a small smile.
"It's fine. First impressions are usually awkward."
She smiled at him, and leaned back on the couch. It was already four thirty, and her parents would be home in an hour and a half. Kale leaned back, as well, extending his arm along the back of the couch, making her blush.
"Wanna go upstairs? It's a little more interesting."
Kale smiled and agreed. She took his hand, leading him upstairs, Cujo walking ahead of them. Justine locked the door behind her out of habit, Kale sitting on her bed. Before she sat down beside him, she ran a hand through her hair.
"I just have to go to the bathroom. Make yourself comfortable."
"Ok. Thanks."
She smiled, and turned her back to use her facilities. The door shut behind her, and Kale ran his hands over his knees as he looked around her bright, amazing-smelling room. Pictures of famous celebrities and bands were on the pink walls, along with cut-out flowers and hearts. The white furniture was spotless and looked brand new. He walked towards her closet, seeing pictures hanging on the doors. Her, Priscilla, Khloe, and Brooke were smiling as their arms were wrapped around each other. Some were at the beach, while others were in each other's backyards or parties. Kale peeked his head in further, seeing the first few letters of the band 'Pantera', and a familiar picture of the album cover, "Vulgar Display of Power". It was slightly crumbled and folded, shoved between books.
The bathroom door opened, Justine running her hands down her shirt. Kale backed away from the closet, smiling. She walked towards him, sitting on the bed.
"What are you thinking?"
Kale looked at her, turning his body towards her. He scratched the back of his neck, and let out a breathe from his mouth. He tilted his head at her, her golden eyes glowing from the sun leaking in through her sheer curtains. Her blonde hair was neatly straight and her skin was flawlessy smooth.
"Nothin'. I'm just really happy to be here with you."
Justine smiled again, and Kale placed a hand on her cheek. They both leaned closer, but the moment was interrupted as Cujo started yipping madly at the window. Justine sighed and stood up, apologizing to Kale. Walking towards the window, she scolded her puppy and peeked outside. Matt, Zacky, Brian, Jimmy, and Justin were unpacking a white van that was graffitied with "A7X' everywhere. Matt looked at her house, but looked down as he saw Kale's car.
Kale stood up from the bed, and peeked behind her.
"Neighbors?"
Justine jumped up, and turned to face him. She nodded, giving him a small smile.
"Yeah."
He raised an eyebrow, making her cross her arms behind her back.
"Do you....know them?"
Justine sighed, and nodded again.
"Yeah. We know each other, but we hardly talk. No interest, you know?"
Kale nodded, and led her back to the bed. They sat down again, but the moment was ruined. Kale cleared his throat and looked up at her, seeing her looking at her feet, her head tilted.
"Justine."
She looked up, and smiled as he leaned over again. She shuffled herself a bit closer, seeing that his hand was making itself present on her cheek. She started closing her eyes, almost feeling his lips on hers.
"Justine! Whose car is that out front?!"
They both sighed, slightly chuckling as Justine's mother was heard downstairs.
"Meet my mother."
Kale laughed and followed her downstairs.
"Mom. This is Kale Harding. Kale, this is my mother."
Her mother's smile widened as she saw his manners. He extended his hand, and slightly bowed his head, telling her that is was nice to meet her.
"You, too, Kale. Uh, Justine. Is he staying for dinner?"
Justine nodded, making her mother smile.
"Great, great. Your father should be home soon, so I'll start dinner now. Make youself at home, Kale. Watch a movie or something in the living room."
The living room was directly across from the kitchen. Her mother could see everything that they would do, which was a bummer. Kale's arm was respectivily around Justine's shoulder, making her lean closer. They watched a random show that was playing on TV, the silence except for Justine's mother in the kitchen was killing them.
"So, this is fun."
Justine looked at him, and leaned closer to his ear.
"I'm sorry. She usually never comes home this early."
He smiled and leaned down to her ear.
"Make it up to me, then."
She lifted an eyebrow, and smiled.
"What do you have in mind?"
"After dinner, come out with me. I'll take you somewhere."
Justine looked up, seeing her mother with her back to them at the stove. She looked at Kale, and kissed his cheek.
"That's a plan."
♠ ♠ ♠
Justine