Status: short story!

In the Land of a Thousand Guilts

o9.

Justine laughed as Kale almost tripped towards her as he ran from the crashing waves on the beach. The two had finally escaped the awkward clutch known as after-dinner conversation with her parents, and had managed to escape to a nearby beach just as soon as the sun started to set. Justine plopped in the sand, Kale plopping beside her. She took a deep breathe, pulling her legs toward her chest and resting her head on her knees. Kale stretched out, his arms propping himself up behind him. He looked over at Justine as her golden eyes admired the sunset and the dark, almost black waves that sunk into the pearly white sand. He slid a little closer to her, their arms rubbing against each other. Justine peered over at him, giving him a small smile.
"I'm really glad you're here right now."
Kale smiled back, and nodded.
"I am, too."
Justine blushed, resting her cheek on her knees, keeping her eyes locked with Kale's dark orbs.
"What'd you think of my darling mother?"
Kale chuckled, and shook his head a few times, looking out to the chilling water.
"She was quite the darling", Kale replied, making Justine roll her eyes playfully in agreement.
"She seems very...determined for you to find a boyfriend. She was pretty excited when you told her that we have been hanging out."
Justine nodded, and shrugged, lifting her head.
"I don't know. She's just...she didn't have the greatest adolescence. She had friends and all, but she, too, had a lot of guy friends, and went to parties and she was always with my father; they had known each other forever. I guess she just wants me to keep my options open, you know? She's been like that since I transferred."
Kale furrowed his brows and cleared his throat, looking at Justine as the words casually flowed out of her mouth, past her pearly white teeth and naturally pink lips.
"Why is that?"
Justine exhaled through her nose, and nodded internally, telling herself in her head that it was ok; it's just Kale; You can trust him, Justine. You can trust him.
"My last relationship was complex, but only towards the end. My mother hated him, but my dad just thought 'Hey. It's my daughter, and there's a boy that she knows that makes her happy. Let her be'. However, my mom would just treat him like total shit every time he came over. She just knew that he wasn't the one. I disagreed with her and would often fight with her about him, but in the end...she was right. I mean, she is my mother, you know?"
Kale nodded, and moved a little bit closer, just enough to get a light inhale of Justine's lavender shampoo that wafted from her hair, thanks to the warm breeze that cast over the two.
Justine shook her head, and smiled.
"So, what about your parents? I have yet to meet them."
Kale chuckled, and turned his head towards her.
"You're not missin' anything. Just the standard married couple. My mom's a housewife, my dad works, and I'm the oldest son that just lays around or is out doing nothing with friends. We're not prizes."
Justine smiled a bit, and crooked her head a little closer to Kale's, so their noses were barely touching.
"I beg to differ."
They both chuckled, and the warm breeze picked up. Justine hugged her light sweatshirt she had grabbed a little tighter to her body, Kale moving even closer. He wrapped his arm around Justine's shoulders, making her body mold perfectly into his own.
"I really like this."
Justine nodded in agreement.
"I do, too."
Kale looked down at her, and pressed his cheek against the top of her head.
"I meant you and I; not the sunset."
Justine looked up at him, and smiled.
"I know."
They both pressed their foreheads against each other's, and Justine bit her bottom lip in nervousness. The last time she had been kissed by a guy was the day after she broke up with Matt. He showed up at her window, and came in to explain himself. After whispering/yelling at each other for almost an hour, Matt just bit the bullet and kissed her. That earned him a slap in the face, and a shove toward the window, where he was forced to climb out and leave Justine's house and her life.
Kale's soft lips pressed gently onto Justine's, making a heat climb to her face and legs. She placed her hands on either sides of his neck, making Kale place his hands on her hips. He pressed his tongue against her closed lips, and she slowly opened with permission.
A few moments passed, and they broke apart for air. The breeze picked up with a slight chill, now that the sun had set and the stars and moon were out in, the unison light shining down on the young teens that thought there was no place better in the world than where they sat in that moment.
"I should get home."
Kale nodded, and kissed the corner of Justine's mouth. She giggled, and watched as Kale sat up, holding his hands out for her to take. They walked hand in hand towards his beautiful car, and he opened her door for her. The second Justine plopped herself in the seat, she felt her heart going a million miles an hour, almost beating out of her chest. She had never felt so comfortable with a boy,besides Matt.
Kale started the car, and as soon as they were turning around on the PCH, he reached over and laced fingers with Justine as she traced over his knuckles.

"Oh my God! You have to tell us everything!"
Justine giggled with her three best friends as they sat at their lunch table.
"I invited him over for dinner, and we went to the beach around sunset. We splashed in the water, and plopped in the sand. We talked, and we...kissed. And it was wonderful."
Brooke, Kim, and Priscilla squealed in delight and excitement for their shyest friend. They had heard stories from her past relationship, but of course, Justine didn't dare to tell them everything. Whatever she told Kale was exactly what she had told them one year prior.
"How was he?"
Justine laughed and put a hand over heart.
"He was...fine, I guess. He was an amazing kisser, but he has such a great personality. I just love being with him."
The girls clapped and giggled girlishly together, and the bell rang.
"So, when shall you see Sir Kale again, Justine?"
The second Priscilla asked, Justine's phone vibrated in her skirt pocket. She pulled it out swiftly, and read the message in her head;

hey, beautiful. my parents want to meet you; my mom won't shut up about it. dinner 2night?
Kale

"Well, Priscilla, I shall be seeing Sir Kale tonight."
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm back! so, after three months with NO INTERNET, i am back with much much updates, and a lot of excitement.

hope you liked it!