RockStar

Track 01

She stared blankly into the mirror as she applied her eyeliner and mascara meticulously. After she was finished, she turned to her friend and whined, “Do I really have to go?”

The other woman stopped abruptly and replied, “Yes. And look, you already have your makeup on. You’re going.”

“But I still have to do my hair,” she groaned, making the word “hair” have five syllables.

“It looks fine. Stop your bitching.”

She paused to think of another excuse. “I hate rock.”

This time the other woman grabbed her shoulders. “Look, Dani, you take everything too seriously. We just graduated from college. Let loose and have some fun for once. We’re gonna go out, meet some guys, and have a good time. Get over it.”

Dani sighed and began straightening her hair. She was never one for the party scene. While she had double majored in business management and psychology, her best friend had doubled in business and partying.

“And I know you don’t like rock but this band is amazing and I think you’ll love them.”

“What’s their name again?”

“Battle Within.” Dani scoffed. “What the fuck was that for?” her friend inquired.

“I just hate the way that bands go about naming themselves. ‘Battle Within’? What the hell is that? I just think that they try to hard to sound cool.”

Her friend laughed. After a few more minutes of preparation, the pair was ready for the show. The two scooped up the keys to their shared apartment, grabbed their designer bags, and headed out the door.

As they were walking down the main street in the heart of South Beach the smell of salt water filled the air. No matter where you went in Miami, the smell of the beach lingered on every corner. That is, the ocean or marijuana or both. The streetlights blocked out the stars and sometimes the moon was even hard to see. After a short silence, Dani began, “Brooke, why are your boobs so damn big?”

“They’re not!” she laughed. “You just have the ass to go with yours so you look more proportional.” The good friends shared a laugh and continued joking with each other until they came to a stop. “Here’s the club!” Brooke proclaimed. The girls stepped into the club and immediately were struck by the overwhelming smell of smoke, body odor, and alcohol.

Dani began coughing. “This place reeks!” she shouted over the noise and Brooke acted as if she didn’t hear her.

After wedging their way through body after body as close to the stage as possible, Brooke turned to Dani, “So before the main band plays, we have to stand through this opening act. I haven’t heard their stuff yet but I’m pretty sure it sucks. So bare with me.”

Not long after standing in the crowd did Brooke begin to flirt with the man standing next to her. Dani smiled and shook her head, already knowing Brooke’s intentions. Not only was Brooke uninterested in the man but she was using him to buy her drinks later on in the night. The man had a deep voice and Dani managed to hear him say, “So do you workout or did you get that body from genetics?”

Dani chuckled at the cheesy pick-up line and waited to hear Brooke’s classic catcher, “Flattery will get you everywhere.”

The fat man gave her a dirty grin and that’s when Brooke and Dani knew that she had him wrapped around her finger for the remainder of the night.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, the guitarists came on stage for a sound check. No one cheered because no one had seen or even heard of this band before. Once the sound check was over a skinny guy with brown hair to his shoulders came out and grabbed the microphone. “Hey guys! How is everyone feeling out there?” The dormant crowd emitted a few cheers here and there. “We are Red Evening and we’re loving this Florida weather!”

“‘Red Evening’?” Dani groaned. “God help me.”

“We’re a band from California and we’re just traveling around now, getting the word out.”

A drunk directly behind Dani screamed, “Woo! Cali, baby!”

The guitars began tuning in harmony and once the lead singer got the drift that no one was really interested in his talking he began, “Our first song is off our self-titled LP. It’s called ‘Eightballs and Waterfalls’.”

Dani sighed again and watched as the crowd grew weary and anxious for the other band to play. “Do I really have to stand through this terrible music?” she complained, fifteen minutes into the band’s set.

“Don’t leave me alone here!” Brooke cried as she used her eyes to point to the large, creepy man that she had been flirting with earlier.

Dani leaned in and whispered, “You got yourself into that mess.”

A frown crossed Brooke’s face. “At least wait until the good band comes on stage.”

“Fine,” she heaved.

Another ten minutes passed and the crowd graduated from restless to aggressive. Random “boo’s” shot out from the mass of drunkards. The man Brooke had been flirting with even shouted, “Get the fuck off the fuckin’ stage, you fuckin’ fucktards!” before throwing a half full glass bottle at the band which one of the guitarist had to dodge. Dani, uncomfortable by the animosity, looked at Brooke for the permission to leave. Again, she was denied.

Finally, after almost thirty minutes of playing the band gave up. The lead singer grudgingly thanked the irate audience and the group took their belongings and headed off stage.

Dani, being as persistent as she is, asked Brooke if she could exit once more and at last she was given the reluctant consent. The crowd was thicker now and she had push forcefully to leave the club. Once outside Dani breathed in deeply. She was never a fan of large crowds of sweaty people who where smoking and drinking. It had rained slightly since they’d been inside and the aroma of wet pavement filled her nose. She loved Miami.

“Hi,” a voice interrupted her peace.

She turned toward the voice and to her dismay it was the lead singer of the band she’d just heard play. “Hi,” she cut back coldly.

“My name is Ryan. I’m the lead singer of the shitty band you just heard.”

“That’s nice,” she replied without looking at him.

“May I ask your name?” he inquired.

She sighed. “My friends call me Dani.” Then she looked him up and down. “You can call me Enriqueta.”

He laughed. “That’s a gorgeous name. Where’s it from?”

“Brazil.” She turned her attention back to the flickering streetlights.

“Well, Enriqueta, I can’t lie. I think you’re beautiful.”

“Thanks,” she replied back shortly.

“Look, me and the other guys in the band are staying at this hotel. Tonight we’re having a party and we’re gonna trash it. You should come along. I don’t think many people will be there judging by our performance but…”

“No thanks.” At this point she wasn’t even trying to give the illusion that she cared about anything he was saying.

He sighed in defeat, “Well, just in case you change your mind, it’s at…” his voice trailed off in her head because she had begun to tune him out. “So maybe I’ll see you there?”

“No, but it was nice talking to you,” she shot quickly in the most monotone voice she could muster.

“You too,” he said in a voice that tried to sound like it still had dignity. After she heard his footsteps walk away she turned around to make sure he was gone and sighed a breath of relief. She spent the remaining forty-five minutes outside until everyone began to pour out of the club like an ant pile that just got stepped on. Dani sent a text message to Brooke telling her to meet her across the street outside of an open late pizza place to avoid being swamped in the crowd. After a few minutes of intoxicated confusion, Dani finally saw the bleached blonde head rushing towards her.

“Girl, I just got word from an inside source that the guys from Battle Within might be having a hotel party. It’s at the Hyatt and I totally want to fuck the drummer.”

“Why would you want to fuck the drummer? Shouldn’t you go for the lead singer or something?”

“There’s too much competition for him. The drummer is less sought after but he’s still cute. Then I could say I got with someone from the band.”

“Wow. You, my friend, are a whore.”

“Who cares? Only you know the truth.” They both giggled. “So can we go?” she pleaded with her big and round blue eyes.

“I don’t know. The lead singer from that other band came out and talked to me while you were still inside and told me he’s having a hotel party tonight too and I don’t want it to be at the same place.”

“Well, where did he say it was?”

“I stopped listening to him so I didn’t catch it,” she laughed.

“You’re such a bitch! That’s all your fault then if they’re at the same hotel.”

“God, please. He was so annoying. What if he’s there?”

“Dani, he won’t be. The big bands typically don’t even associate with the small ones.” She paused and waited for an answer. “Please!”

“Fine!”

Brooke squealed and began to drag Dani to the Hyatt. The walk there was easy-going as was everything between those two. “I’ve made up my mind. I’m gonna get fucked up tonight,” Dani shouted.

“Like drunk?”

“Hells yeah. I’m gonna get wasted. I was thinking about it and you’re right. I need to loosen up. College is almost over and how do I expect to get my Master’s if I keep stressing like this. I don’t fucking care tonight. I’m letting loose!”

“Ooh, I like this side of Dani. The “I-don’t-give-a-shit” side. She should come out more often.”

They shared another laugh.

When they finally arrived at the hotel Brooke stopped Dani and began to whisper. “Okay, look, this is a nice hotel. So they don’t allow bands to do the dumb shit they like to do in cheap hotels. We need to walk in as if we know where we’re going and be confident. Keep your chin up and boobs out. Got it?”

“Yes ma’am,” Dani giggled.

Brooke smiled and they both strutted in with their heads held high. Just as they were turning the corner to the elevator a concierge spoke, “Do you ladies need help?”

They both halted but Brooke motioned for Dani to keep going and for her to catch up later. Instead, Dani just walked around the corner and waited quietly. Brooke began, “Yes sir. Actually, I have a few friends staying here and I’d like to know what room they’re in.”

“Are you referring to those hooligans on the top floor?” The man was middle-aged, going bald, with chest hair and a beer belly. He had a knot in his brow and she could tell that the group must have already been causing trouble.

Brooke laughed. “Probably.”

“Well, I was ordered not to allow anyone else up there.”

“Really?” She slowly approached him, her stilettos clicking on the tile floor.

“Yes,” he shot but she could tell he was already weakening.

“Do you think you could make an exception?” she asked coyly, now only inches away from him.

“I don’t— I— I don’t know. I mean, no.”

She began twirling his red tie in between her manicured fingertips. “I just walked ten blocks to get here and I live ten more blocks from there. And I don’t have any money for a taxi.” She paused and made eye contact with him, the part of her attack she liked to call the “money maker”. He continued to stutter until she put her finger to his lips. “I know a good-looking and stylish man like yourself wouldn’t make little ol’ me walk twenty blocks back home, would you?”

He smiled. “No, of course I wouldn’t do that.”

“Then would you be a sweetheart and tell me the room number? I promise I’ll quiet them down.” She gave him a schoolgirl giggle.

“Yes ma’am.” He rushed behind the desk and began typing away at his computer. “It’s Suite 957. Top floor at the end of the hallway to your left.”

She quickly read his name tag and leaned over the desk purposely pushing up her breasts. “Thank you, Don,” and placed a kiss on his cheek.

As she walked away she smiled to herself and when she turned the corner to see Dani she signaled her to be quiet. But as soon as they got in the elevator they both began to jump up and down and shriek.

“Brooke! How did you get those skills?!”

“Acting class,” she laughed.

“He went from total jerk to in love with you. Why do you have to play with men’s hearts like that?”

“Because I have to get what I want. Of course.”

“My God, I love you.”

“I love you more!”

They both squealed again.

The elevator dinged when they got to the top floor. When they exited Brooke grabbed both of Dani’s shoulders. “This is it. I’m going for a pretty big one tonight. I’ve got my cell fully charged. You got yours?” Dani nodded. “Good. So when we get split up we can contact each other.” She smiled. “Let’s go fuck this place up.”

Loud rock music could already be heard from where they were standing and they simply followed the sound. When they opened the door it was as if the music literally jumped out at them. There were plenty of women, just like Brooke and Dani (but perhaps not as beautiful), but not so many men. The pair split up in search of what the came for. Brooke, a quickie with the drummer and Dani, alcohol. Brooke spent a good while searching for any of the guys from the band until she asked a drunken girl. “Hey, is this the Battle Within hotel party?”

The girl swayed and laughed. “Nope.” Brooke sighed with frustration and quivered at the thought of kissing that old man for nothing. “Wait,” the girl belched. “One of the guys is here though. But he’s always in the back.”

What she meant by “in the back”, Brooke had no idea. “Which one?” Brooke asked.

She burped again and spilled some of her alcohol from the red, plastic cup. “The drummer. I forget his name.”

Brooke’s eyes lit up. “Do you know where he is?”

The girl lifted a flimsy hand and pointed across the room. “He’s in that room being emo.”

“Thanks.”

Brooke stood up and readjusted her top as she walked to the end of the hall. She paused and gathered herself before she knocked on the door. “What?!” she heard, slightly taken aback.

“Can I come in?”

“No!”

Brooke was appalled by his brash remark. “Well,” she chuckled, “I’m not leaving until you let me in.” She began to tap her fingernails on the door.

“Don’t do that,” he commanded.

She stopped. “Why? Because it’s annoying?”

“Yes.”

“Oh well,” and she began tapping again.

Suddenly, the door swung open to reveal an agitated man. “Look, I’m not interested in any groupies.”

“I’m not a groupie!” Brooke shouted.

The drummer looked her up and down and raised an eyebrow. “You’re not?” he questioned impatiently.

“No.”

“Then what’s my name?” Brooke bit her lip nervously and looked to the ground. “Thought so,” and he slammed the door shut in her face.

Embarrassed more by the fact that he rejected her after seeing her than forgetting his name, she groaned aloud and rattled her fingernails on the door again. “I’m sorry! I just forgot!”

“Seriously, leave me alone before I call security.”

“No!”

Again the door opened and the drummer heaved. “Okay, I will let you in but you will not touch me and I will not impregnate you with a child that I will have to pay child support on for the next eighteen years.”

Brooke laughed. “Deal.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment with constructive criticism and correct me if you see any misspelling or grammar errors. :)