RockStar

Track 03

The city’s sunlight trickled into the room and inched up the bed until it made its way to the eyelids of the pair. Dani was the first to wake. She sat up; sheets clutched to her chest, and yawned. The room smelled of sweat and sex and her stomach was growling loudly. That’s when she remembered that she hadn’t eaten in almost a day. After fumbling around to grab the hotel’s digital clock, she gasped at the time. It was nearly two in the afternoon. Quietly, she got up and began redressing herself while wondering if last night was just a big mistake. She was clothed again, grabbed her cell phone, and left the still sleeping Ryan.

On the elevator ride down was when her hangover really hit her. Her head began pulsating and her stomach felt not only hungry, but queasy. Thanks to Brooke’s partying habits, she had the cab service on speed dial. The wait, though, was unfortunate. She stood in front of the hotel for thirty minutes before the cab came and the entire time, she felt like everyone who walked or drove by knew what she had done last night.

Once inside the cab the driver confirmed her destination and began driving. The inside of the cab seemed to be spinning and Dani shouted for him to quickly pull over because she felt the few remaining contents of her stomach shoot up to her throat. The driver swerved because he’d already had one to many customers vomit in his cab and he was the one who had to clean it out. Dani hurriedly opened the door and began puking. She made loud, guttural noises that made the driver feel almost as sick. She wiped her mouth, humiliated, and asked him to continue driving.

“Rough night, huh?” he asked. He was an older, white man who was balding but she could tell that he had probably been good-looking in his heyday.

“That’s an understatement,” Dani grumbled.

He let out a soft laugh. “Young kids these days.”

Dani ignored him because she had always hated when elderly people talked about how wayward the newest generation was; as if they hadn’t done the same things when they were young.

The rest of the car ride was quiet until he pulled up to her apartment building. “How much?” she asked.

“This one’s on me, honey.” He gave Dani a smile, not creepy, but fatherly.

She forced one back so that he wouldn’t change his mind and make her cough up forty dollars. The she managed a sincere sounded, “Thank you.”

The taxi driver sped away and Dani kicked the heels off her aching feet. Her shoes dangled from one finger and she dragged her body up the stairs. Once she got to the door, a realization hit her like a bag of bricks. She didn’t have her key because it was in her purse which was in Ryan’s hotel room. “Fuck!” she screamed and began banging on the door, praying for Brooke to be there.

The door was ripped open and Brooke yelled, “And where the hell have you been all night?”

Dani charged in and wrapped her in a tight hug. “I’m so glad to see you.”

Brooke pried her off. “Are you okay?” she asked in a serious and worried tone.

“I’m fine. I’m fine. But last night was something else.” Dani went to her room and began getting into more comfortable, oversized clothes.

Her best friend followed and sat on her bed. “So? What happened?”

“Well, let’s just say, I need you to do me a favor.”

“What?”

“Could you run to the store and get me a Morning After pill?”

“WHAT?!” Brooke shouted.

Dani grimaced. “Yeah…”

“Seriously, Dani, what happened last night?”

She sighed obnoxiously. “I slept with the lead singer of that band.”

“Battle Within?!”

“No, no, no. The other band. The one that no one liked.”

“Eww,” Brooke made a disapproving face.

“Shut up. It was an accident. I— I didn’t mean to. Well, I did but — I don’t know. I was drunk.”

“Did he take advantage of you?”

“No! He was a total gentleman. I just…” she sighed again. “I don’t remember the whole thing. But I know we didn’t use protection.”

“Dani! You have no idea where his thingy has been!”

“I. Was. Drunk. Okay?” Brooke sighed. “Just go get me the damn pills.”

“Alright. I’ll set up a doctor’s appointment too, while I’m at it.”

“Whatever,” Dani shot.

Brooke closed the door behind her and soon after the front door was heard as well. Dani wrapped herself up in her covers and went through the foggy details of the previous night. She had intended on leaving and never seeing him again but with her purse in his room, she just might have to. She was still weighing out the pros and cons of going back when she heard Brooke reenter the apartment. There was a rustling of dishes in the kitchen and within a few minutes Brooke came in with a ham sandwich, a glass of water, and the pill. She sat on the edge of her friend’s bed and Dani sat up. “You need to eat before you take this pill. And I know how much you love ham sandwiches with lettuce and pickles.” She smiled.

Dani grinned. “Thanks, girl.” Her hunger from earlier was rekindled and she gobbled down that sandwich as if it were the last time she’d ever eat.

“Well, then. That poor pig never stood a chance.” They both giggled. Dani washed the small meal down with the pill and water. “Look, I don’t want you to feel bad. I’ve done this quite a few times before. Things happen but you definitely need to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible to make sure he didn’t give you anything.”

“I will,” Dani mumbled and looked down.

Brooke wanted to cheer her friend up so she peeped, “Well, all seriousness aside. How was it?” Here blue eyes lit up like sapphires.

Dani chuckled. “Pretty good. He went… down.”

“Are you serious?!” Dani nodded. “Most guys are so unwilling to do that! Was he any good?” Again, she shook her head yes. “You’re so lucky,” Brooke pouted. “And did you return the favor?”

“Eww. God, no, Brooke! Gross!”

“Seriously, girl, you need to at least learn how to do it. You don’t have to like it but it helps.”

“I’m never doing that.”

“Listen, once you start you’ll realize the benefits and you won’t regret it.”

“Benefits?” Dani questioned.

“He’ll pay for everything once you start doing that.”

Dani acted like she was gagging. “Um, it’s not worth it.”

“Okay, whatever you say,” Brooke laughed. “So what about this morning? Was he awkward or what?”

“Well, I left before he woke up.”

“What? Why?”

“See, he’s a nice guy and everything but I didn’t want him to think that I wanted to be with him or hang out afterwards or anything.”

“You act worse than the guys I’ve been with,” Brooke laughed.

“I just don’t want to lead him on anymore than I already did. But he was so nice and he knew a lot about classical music.”

“So it was a nerd-fest?”

“Whatever you like to call it.” She smiled. “And his… you know… was really big. It hurt at first but he was so gentle.” Dani’s words faded away like snow on a sunny day.

“Sounds like he’s got you goo-goo-gaa-gaa.”

“No, I refuse to put myself in that situation. Which is why I left.

“You’re too hardcore for your own good.”

Dani scoffed. “No, I’m not. And what happened between you and the drummer? Did you ever find him?”

Brooke sighed longingly, “I did but we didn’t do anything sexual. For once, you got more action than me!” She playfully slapped her friend’s arm.

“You didn’t? Was his thingy small?” They pair always used childish words when they were talking about sex.

“I don’t know. I didn’t get to see it! But it was fun. We just talked and I’ve never had a guy just want to talk to me. It was refreshing.” She gave her friend a sly grin and Dani knew something else was coming. “And… he gave me his number!” Brooke shrieked and hopped up and down on the bed. “He told me that he’d never had such good conversation and to call or text him next time he’s in town.” Brooke was swooning over him already.

“Well, I’m happy for you. I thought you were getting some.” They split a laugh again when the doorbell rang. Confused looks crossed both of their faces and Dani stated, “Who is showing up, uninvited to our home?”

Getting up, Brooke said, “I’ll get it.” As she walked closer to the door, she called, “Who is it?”

The person mumbled something that Dani couldn’t hear. Then she heard the two voices speaking quietly to each other and Dani thought it must’ve been one of Brooke’s boyfriends. When her blonde friend came back to her room she was holding Dani’s purse in her hand with a wide smirk on her face. Dani’s jaw dropped and Brooke said, “You’ve got company waiting outside.”

“My God… Tell him I’m sick!”

“I already told him. He still wants to see you.”

“No. Um, tell him I’m asleep.”

“But I already said you’re awake.”

“Brooke!”

“Sorry!”

“Fine, just let him in!”

Brooke dropped her purse near her bed and ran back to the door. Soon two pairs of footsteps were heard in the home. Dani’s door creaked slightly as Ryan’s face appeared from around the corner. Brooke was heard, “I’ll be in my room!” and a door slammed shut.

Dani thought, Bitch.

Ryan walked in with a smile, hands behind his back, and asked, “May I have a seat?”

“Sure,” Dani grumbled.

He sat down and removed his hands from his back revealing a dozen roses. Dani forced a smile, “Thank you,” she said and motioned for him to put them on the dresser next to her. Half of Dani’s makeup was wiped off and the other half was smeared around her eyes. “How did you find me?”

“Well, in your hurry to leave, you left your purse and your wallet was inside. With your ID. With your address.”

“Stalker,” Dani joked.

Ryan laughed. “The better question is why did you leave me this morning? I wanted to spend the day with you.”

Dani sighed. “I don’t want like, a relationship or anything like that. And I don’t want to lead you on. You’re a great guy and everything but… I’m too busy for a companion.”

“Did you forget that I live on the other side of the country?”

She looked away and felt stupid for not realizing that earlier. Of course he didn’t want a relationship. They were going to be thousands of miles apart in a matter of days. “I’m sorry. I’m stupid.”

He laughed again. “You’re the farthest thing from stupid.” He touched her tangled but still silky, soft hair. “Your friend told me you weren’t feeling well. Are you alright?

“I’m okay. It’s just a hangover.”

“Well, you’re still gorgeous when you’re sick.” Dani felt the blood rush to her face. “I leave in two days. What do you say about me picking you up tomorrow when you feel better and taking you out?”

Dani covered her smile under the blankets and responded, “Sure.”

Ryan leaned down and pressed a kiss against her forehead, his long brunette hair tickling her face. When he stood up, Dani spoke, “One more thing.”

“Yeah?”

“We didn’t use protection last night, did we?”

Ryan made an uh-oh face. “No, we uh, we didn’t.”

“I took the Morning After pill, so don’t think about that. I just want to know, honestly, if I should be worried about anything else.”

He sat down again and looked her straight into the eyes. “No.”

Dani believed him but she still knew she had to see a doctor because he could have something that even he didn’t know about. “Okay then.” She smiled and he kissed her one more time before turning to leave.

“Call me tonight when you’re feeling better,” he called over his shoulder.

“I will,” she shouted after him.

Not five seconds after the front door shut, did Brooke barge into Dani’s room and flop down next to her. “He’s so much cuter than I remember him! And he’s such a gentleman! Look, he brought you flowers!”

“Brooke.”

“Girl, he smelled so nice too! And you said he was good in bed? Oh God. He seems so—”

“Brooke! Calm yourself.”

“I’m sorry! I just never really get to talk about boys with you because they’re so few and far between and you never let me really meet them. I’m just excited.” Brooke’s smiled appeared to stretch for days.

“Well, he’s taking me out tomorrow,” Dani grinned.

The blue-eyed girl gasped. “To where?”

“He didn’t say.”

“Then you need to get your rest so you can be perfect for tomorrow. Go to sleep. I’ll order pizza tonight and I’ll get you up then.”

“Okay, mom.”

Brooke smiled as she got up and closed the door behind her.

After settling deep into her covers Dani’s mind rush back to Ryan. She felt herself starting to really like him and even though it should’ve been a good feeling for her, it wasn’t. Her whole life she had lived like a dairy with a lock and the key missing. The only people she had let in were Brooke and her mother, who had lost her mind. No one else, not even the boy who’d taken her virginity, had ever been really let in. Sure, she’d had a few acquaintances and meaningless boyfriends, but she’d never even thought about letting down her brick wall. But Ryan, Ryan was different. He had charmed her and Dani wanted to know everything about him and share with him everything about her. This desire of wanting to open up made her uneasy, scared her even. How had this wannabe rock star from Apple Valley, Minnesota to Los Angeles, California had such an impact on her feelings in such a short period of time?

Dani sighed and buried her face into her pillow. These questions couldn’t be answered right now and she knew she was going to have to experience it first-hand. Soon enough but all too soon, slumber enveloped her body.