She Loves Me, He Hates Me

Jackie's Room

Jackie looked at the pile of clothes spewed on the floor I front of her. There was nothing for her to wear it seemed in order to impress everyone at the party. She had gotten an invite on Thursday in a pretty little pink envelope and was excited to see pink glitter fly at her like pixie dust out of a dream. Jackie always wanted to be a fairy like Tinker Bell. That’s why as a child she sat in front of the TV watching Tink float around the screen trying to get Peter Pan’s attention away from Wendy. Jackie never liked Wendy. Besides, Tinker Bell was there first and totally had first dibbs on Peter any way. Speaking still about the invite, she still needed to call Abby to see who was coming. She didn’t want to get all dressed up only to show up with no Johnny Peterson around. Abby was thinking about inviting him, but she never told Jackie if she did or not. Jackie picked up her pink little cell phone and dialed Abby’s number.

She and Abby hadn’t been friends forever, but she had come pretty close to her over the summer. Instead of just saying hi at BG’s, Abby had an actually conversation with her and hung out with her while the bands raged on stage. She had spent the night at Abby’s once that summer and it had been fun. Gossiping on about how school sucks and what they dreamed of doing outside of high school. Jackie was finally happy to have a really good friend. She had friends of course, but no like Abby who had really taken her under her wing. The phone started to ring on the other end.

“Hey Jackie! What’s up? You better not be backing out of my party!” A giggling Abby said on the phone as well as another laugh in the distant background.

“Hey, yes I’m coming of course. Who’s already over?”

“Oh, it’s just Emmy. . .she says hi.”

“Say hi back.” Jackie said. She and Emmy had been becoming pretty good friends as well. She was pretty and fun to talk to. No wonder her and Abby were friends.

“So, what’s on your mind?” That’s when she just remembered what she was calling for anyway.

“Oh yeah, sorry, I just wanted to know who of the male persuasion will be there tonight? My mom kind of wants to know. You know, the controlling type?”

“No issue hun, my mom is the same way. Lets see here I believe Aaron Spellman, Eric Cannon, Zach Walsh, Johnny Peterson, and I think a couple of my brother’s college friends are coming that I met over the summer. Older men! I’m so excited. . .”

“That’s great Abby, thanks a lot. I’ll catch you later tonight!” Jackie said with a little thrill in her voice. It was confirmed that Johnny would be there after all. She knew that this night would be amazing now.

“Okay babe, bye!” Said Abby as she hung up the phone.

Jackie bounced on her bed a little and hugged herself tightly. She really wanted Johnny to make a move on her. Lately is seems that he has been distracted, but she didn’t have to worry about that tonight. Jackie knew she could take his mind of his band and school and whatever else boys think about. She pictured her first kiss with Johnny to be out on Abby’s front porch under the stars that would shine ten times brighter just for them. Jackie got up and rummaged through the pile of clothes in order to find that one outfit that would stop Johnny in his tracks.