Roses and Lilies

Chapter 2

“I don’t know why they want you here,” Petunia grumbled as she finished the final layer of the rum cake, “I didn’t even know they knew you existed. Don’t say a word to the oldest girl,” Petunia pointed her spreading knife at Harry, who was filling glasses with white wine, “she’s out of your league.”

“I don’t even know who she is,” Harry lied, “So you don’t have to worry about me.”

There was a ring at the front door and Vernon had answered it. The Williams’ had arrived. Harry placed the wine glasses on the formal table just as Vernon escorted the Williams’ in.

“Petunia, dear, how about some refreshments before the main course.”

Petunia instantly came over with a plate full of finger foods that Harry had prepared when he had gotten home from work. “Marion, what a lovely dress. Beth, dear, I’m sure you remember Dudley.”

Dudley came waddling up to Beth, who was lovely in a pink summer dress, and tried to engage her in conversation. Beth, however, seemed more interested in greeting Harry.

“Hi Harry. How are you?” Beth walked up to him, her youngest sister trailing just behind her.

“Hi,” The youngest said around her thumb as she waved at Harry with her free hand.

“Beth,” Harry nodded cordially to her before looking at the little girl. “What’s your name?”

“Emmy,” Emmy hid behind her big sister’s legs, feeling a bout of shyness.

“Beth,” Petunia came up behind them and instantly steering her away from Harry, “Dudley won another boxing match and he is dying to tell you about it.” As Petunia steered Beth away, Beth looked over her shoulder at Harry and smiled at him.

Harry stood there, not knowing what to do. Emmy, however, tugged at his jeans. Harry bent down to the little girl’s level.

“Yes?”

Emmy took her thumb out of her mouth and smiled at him. “You have pretty eyes.”

“Well thank you,” Harry smiled at the little girl before she scampered off to her older sister, who was nodding her head at Dudley’s words and mock punching actions. Harry set a plate of potatoes on the table and sighed, this was going to be a long evening.

Once Petunia announced that dinner was served, everybody made their way to the tables. Beth sat down next to Harry and Dudley attempted to sit on the other side of her but was beaten by Emmy. “I want to sit next to my sister!” She announced loudly as she climbed into the chair, pushing Dudley out of her way.

Dudley glared at Harry and made a punching motion towards him.

“So, can I finally have a conversation with you?” Beth asked as Vernon poured more wine and Dudley had to take a seat between Emmy and Olivia, Beth’s other sister.

“What do you mean?”

Beth grinned. “You hardly say a word. I never see you talking to anyone. You just go to work, come home and work in the rock garden. Don’t you have any fun?”

Harry shook his head, “Not really, not here at least.”

“So where do you have fun?” Beth fixed Emmy’s plate for her, still talking to Harry.

“Uh,” Harry could feel Dudley glaring at him and Beth’s ambitious looks were making him red in the ears, “school is like my home. That’s where my friends are at, you know. So . . . yeah,”

“Where do you go to school?”

“Why do you ask so many questions?”

Beth let out a small laugh, “Sorry. I’m just curious about you. You’re so mysterious.”

“And you have pretty eyes,” Emmy added from the other side of Beth.

“And Bethy thinks you have a nice butt,” Olivia pitched in from the other side of Beth.

“Shut up Olivia,” Beth hissed, her face as red as Harry’s. “I . . . I’ve just been meaning to talk to you lately but you ignore me every time.”

“Um,” Harry wasn’t sure of what to say.

“Beth would you like to go to the movies with me tomorrow night?” Dudley asked from across the table.

“Uh,” Beth’s attention on Harry was finally broken, “Sorry Dudley, but I have plans tomorrow night. Maybe another night,” she smiled cordially and Emmy asked for another biscuit.

The rest of the dinner was rather quiet at their table and when the Williams’ were gathering their coats to leave, Beth hugged Dudley and then Harry. “I hope to talk more to you soon. Don’t be afraid to say hello to me,” Beth whispered as she smiled and walked out the door with her parents.

“What was that boy?” Vernon rounded on Harry the moment the door was shut. “You were not supposed to talk to them, just to sit there. If you mess this up so help me . . .”

“I didn’t do anything. I can’t help it if she wanted to talk to me,” Harry remained just outside his uncle’s reach.

Petunia sniffed. “You are meddling with Duddy’s future. Dudley deserves a girl from a good family like that, not the likes of you.”

Harry rolled his eyes; he didn’t really care what they had to say. It was not as if he was interested in a muggle girl. “You don’t have to worry about me; she’s not exactly my type now is she?”

Vernon was saying something but Harry wasn’t listening. He promptly marched outside to the backyard to get away from their nagging voices. If only Ginny were here.

“I didn’t get you in trouble did I?”

Harry looked over at the fence to see Beth’s head above the spikes, her arms wrapped around them for support. “No. I just needed to get outside for some air.”

After a pause of reflection of his relatives’ words, Harry continued. “You looked nice tonight.”

Beth smiled appreciatively. “Thank you. So do you.”

Harry walked up to the fence and felt the edges of his mouth twitching up. “So I have a nice butt?”

Beth groaned and closed her eyes, “You know how little siblings are, they,”

“No, I don’t. How are they?” Harry interrupted, enjoying watching Beth squirm just a tad.

“I . . . she . . . that’s not fair!” Beth reached over the fence and hit Harry on the arm. Harry laughed with her and rubbed his arm.

“Ow. Are you really busy tomorrow night?”

Beth shrugged, “Maybe, maybe not. Why?”

Harry also shrugged, “Just wondered if you wanted to go to the movies with me.”

“Getting dating tips from Dudley?”

“No,” Harry shot back quickly, “just using the open idea since he’s not. Do you?”

“Sure,” Beth climbed off the fence, “pick me up at 6:30.”