You're Hiding All the Right Things

You're Hiding All The Right Things Ch. 9

"So what happened after we left last night?" Thomas asked.

"Nothing that you need to worry about." I said, smirking.

"He didn’t tell me anything, either." Caleb lied, sneaking a small smile at me before we sat down for third hour, study hall, huge talking fest.

"So how’s the whole thing with Kristen going?" I asked Caleb, just remembering that he had an uber crush on her as she walked in the door.

He turned red as he saw her. "Good, we’re talking a lot."

"Awesome. She’s so cool, I really hope things work out for you." I said, patting him on the shoulder.

"Hey Caleb!" She said, waving.

"Hey Kristen." He said, smiling like a geek, waving. "How about you come sit over here?"

"I’d love to." She said, moving from the desk she was in to the one next to Caleb, with me on his other side. "Skylar, I heard about you coming out. That’s awesome. I hope no one’s giving you too much shit about it. I know Karli’s taking it really hard."

"Yeah, tell me about it. She started this whole scene in last hour. It was ridiculous." I said. "She’s really the only one that’s been saying stuff, too, that I know of."

She looked at her desk, like she didn’t want to say what she was about to say. "I guess you haven’t been listening to the jocks and all them in the halls. They’re giving you so much shit behind your back."

"Well they can go fuck themselves, because nothing they say is gonna change the way I am." I said flat out, relieved that the teacher wasn’t in the room yet.

She laughed. "Hey! We should hang out tonight! You, me, Caleb and your bf! What’s his name?"

"Jeremiah." I said, smiling.

"Oh! He definitely looks like a Jeremiah. But yeah, that would be so fun! It could be like a double date! And if Thomas can scrounge up a girl it could be a triple date." She said.

"That would be fun! I’ll ask Jeremiah during lunch. You down, Caleb?" I asked.

"Oh hell yeah. What time and where?"

"Um, 6 o clock, at the park? Then we can figure everything out there." Kristen said. "What about you, Thomas? Do you think you could find someone to come with you so you can join us and not feel like a fifth wheel?"

"Hmm.." He said, getting up, going to the white board and grabbing a marker. He wrote something really big on it. When he sat down, I read:

Cool guy, 16, puppy eyes, looking for cool girl to hang with tonight. Text?

I just laughed and shook my head at him, but surprisingly, one of the girls, I think her name is Halee, came up to him and gave him her number. "I would love to hang out tonight. What time?"

Before he answered, he looked at me and Caleb with his mouth open in shock. He turned back to Halee and said, "6, at the park." He laughed. "Are you serious?"

She laughed and took his phone off his desk, pulling her own out of her pocket, so they could exchange numbers.

I smiled at the scene going on in front of us. They would be cute together, I decided.

"If I wasn’t serious, I wouldn’t have come over here. See you tonight." She put his phone back on his desk and walked back to her seat.

Thomas was blushing as she walked away. "Do you think she’s been into me for a while?"

"She doesn’t stop talking about you." Kristen said, smiling. "She’s my best friend, she tells me everything."

"See, Skylar? Everything." Thomas said.

I hit him. "That’s them. Maybe I don’t feel comfortable sharing everything."

"Well, okay, not everything. We don’t like, go and tell each other who we made out with or anything like that. That’s just too much info."

"Thank you!" I said, knuckling Kristen. "See? I like her. We’re on the same page."

Thomas rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Whatever, Skylar."

I laughed and took out my iPod, ready to tune out the world for the hour of freedom that I was granted daily. Since Thomas knew that he wasn’t getting anything out of me, and Caleb knew everything, and they were both occupied with potential girlfriends, that gave me alone time to draw and do random stuff in my notebooks.

Someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned and saw the four of them staring at me, smiling. I took out one of my earphones. "Yes?"

"Wanna play some BS?" Kristen asked.

"Oh, yes! I would love to play some BS." I put my iPod and notebook away, turning around in my desk.

One game took the whole hour, and I came out on top. I guess I have a really good poker face.

"You so cheated!" Caleb said, who just so happened to have the most cards.

"Nah, no cheatin’ here. I just know how to play my BS." I said, sitting back, watching the rest of them battle it out. Next out, surprisingly, was Caleb. I high fived him. It was down to Halee and Thomas by the end of the period. The bell rang and we all got up to leave. "Come on guys, you both have half the deck, so you both lose." Caleb said, trying to mess up Thomas’ deck.

"No, we will finish this. Go ahead without us."

"Alright, see ya!" I said, the first to leave the room out of our group, followed by Caleb.

"Where are you going so fast?" He said, catching up to me, stopping with me at my locker.

"Jeremiah’s calling me soon, we have the same lunch periods, and he said he would in his text." Right as I closed my locker, my phone started going off. I whipped it out of my pocket and answered, "I miss you so much."

He laughed into the phone. "I miss you, too. How are you doing?"

"Fabulously, actually. No one’s giving me shit, except for Karli, at least to my face. This girl that Caleb’s going after said that a bunch of jerk guys are saying a bunch of shit."

"I can go beat ‘em up for you."

I giggled. "No, you reallly don’t want to do that. They’re a bunch of football players and shit. They’ll beat your ass down."

"I can take anything." He said, sounding overly confident.

"Just lemme handle it, kay? What about you? How are you doing?" I walked into the cafeteria, grabbing a container of taco dip and nachos and a bottle of water.

"I’d be a lot better if you were here." He said, a smile in his voice.

I blushed and resisted the need to bite my lip. "Well, I’d be a million times better if you were here, too, but seeing as how that’s not gonna happen ever.."

"Actually, I was talking to my mom..." He trailed off.

My jaw dropped.

Caleb stared at me. "What? What happened?"

I waved my hand in his face. "And?"

"She said I might be able to come to your school next year."

I squealed like a girl. Caleb cringed away and everyone else around us looked at me, but I didn’t care. "Really?! OOOOOOOH MY GOD!"

I heard him laughing. "I thought you’d like that."

"Like it? I LOVE it!"

"Well, I’m glad you love it then. Hey, is Caleb there?"

"Yeah, he’s right next to me, why? Is there something going on that I don’t know about?" I asked, pretending to be the overprotective girlfriend.

He giggled. "You’re adorable, and no, there is nothing going on. Can I just talk to him?"

I sighed. "Fine, I guess you can talk to him." I handed the phone to Caleb, who looked confused.

"Yo." He answered, and I automatically put my face in my hands, shaking my head, permanently smiling. I can’t believe he might be coming here next year!

"Yeah...uh huh.." I tuned back into the conversation. "Oh yeah, I’d definitely be able to do that. You don’t need to ask me twice."

Now I was slightly curious. What was Jeremiah asking him to do? I hope it has nothing to do with all those guys talking shit.

"Alright, man, talk to you later." He handed me the phone, smiling, then grabbed Thomas and went out of the cafeteria.

"Where are you guys going!?" I yelled, confused.

"We’ll be right back, don’t worry. Just talk to your lover." Caleb said.

I stuck out my tongue and put the phone back up to my ear. "What is this? Why can’t I know anything?"

"Don’t worry, Sky. Everything is fine. We’re alone, right?" He asked.

"Well, besides all the people surrounding me in the cafeteria, yeah, we’re alone. Why?"

"Does there really need to be a reason for me to want to be alone with you?"

I sighed, smiling. "I guess not. I want you here so bad right now."

"You have no idea how much I wanna kiss you right now." He said.

Lip bite. I don’t care anymore. There’s no way I’m gonna get over the habit.

"Am I guessing right when I say that you’re biting your lip?" He asked, a slight teasing tone in his voice.

"Shut up, you know I can’t help it." I said.

"I wish I could see it."

"I wish I could see you."

"You know, after next hour, I just have two study halls. I could come and visit you in class. I could get my mom or dad to call me out of class."

"I wouldn’t want you to do that, that’s too much of a hassle. I would feel bad."

"Well, you officially have no say in what I’m gonna do. I’ll call my parents now and call you back, kay? Kay, good. Love you, baby!"

Before I could yell at him, he hung up. I shut my phone and couldn’t stop smiling, no matter how frustrated I felt. He was stubborn, but this was a good reason. I got excited, finally realizing that he was gonna be coming here. I could see him sooner than I thought. Then I thought of how much crap said jerk guys were gonna give us if they saw us walking together. I rolled my eyes and thought nothing of it. My phone rang again and I answered it. "Oh my god I love you."

"Hello to you, too. Am I gonna get a new greeting every time I call you?" He asked, amused.

"Probably. So what did your parents say?"

"They said no.." He said, bummed, but I could tell he was lying.

"You are so lying right now."

He laughed. "Yeah I know. They said that I could come after my next class is over. My mom’s driving me. I should be there at about...12:45. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, I just need to let my teacher know that I’m gonna have to leave for a couple minutes to meet you at the front. Just, Jeremiah, one thing I ask of you."

"Anything, sweetie."

I blushed. "No kisses around the masses of people."

"Alright, what about small groups?" He asked, hopeful. "‘Cause you know I’m not gonna be able to keep myself totally away from you."

"I know, and I don’t know how I’m gonna be able to keep myself from you when you look so cute in your uniform." I said, wanting to hug him now.

"I’m pretty sure that you look cuter in whatever you’re wearing." Jeremiah said. "It’d be hotter if it was off by the time I got there, though."

My mouth dropped open again, but closed shortly after into a smirk. "You would like that, wouldn’t you?"

"I really wouldn’t be able to keep my hands off of you then."

I laughed, getting up to throw away what I didn’t eat, since we had a little less than ten minutes til class started, and I wanted to find Caleb and Thomas to tell them what was going on. "I know you wouldn’t be able to. I can barely keep my hands off you even with clothes on." I walked down the hall, looking for Caleb and/or Thomas. I got to the hallway where we always sat and found them talking to a few guys. A few of the jerk guys. I sighed; I knew something else was up besides what Jeremiah was telling me.

"Sky, what’s the matter?" Jeremiah asked.

"Why did you tell them to talk to those guys?" I asked.

"I’m sorry, but I didn’t want anyone giving you trouble. How’s it going between them?" He said, sounding truly sorry.

I looked around the corner, and I saw them just standing there talking quietly amongst themselves, probably explaining the situation. "It’s not going bad, that I can see."

"Good, then you shouldn’t get worked up. I really don’t wanna end this conversation, but I really gotta get to class. I’ll see you in like, an hour, okay?"

"Alright, I guess I can wait that long. I love you."

"I love you, too. Bye bye."

"Bye."

I closed my phone and went down the hall. "Hey, we gotta get to class."

"Oh we do, don’t we." Thomas said, looking at the clock. "Thanks for listening, guys."

They walked away from the jerk dudes and walked with me til we had to go to our separate lockers. I have to ask them what went on.