Pink Apartment

e-mail

Image

"So, you quit?" Rupert asked with his back at me, while making scrambled eggs. I had my feet on the chair next to me, and tugged at the white linen shirt I was wearing. My hair was up in a messy bun and I scratched my nose with my palm.

"I guess." I said. Truthfully, I didn't even know if I had a job anymore. If Stan went to his grandfather and told him about what I said, I would surely be out of a job. But if he hadn't, well.. Let's say he had. It seemed like him. Being a weasel suited him.

"Well, I'm glad." Rupert confessed, coming next to me and pecking my nose. "This way you'll be around more." He soon went back to the eggs. I wouldn't appreciate if the only thing that kept this day from seeming strange would spontaneously combust. He gave me one of his ravishing smiles and I suddenly felt warm on the inside. I realized I hadn't spent a lot of time with him. And being new to this world, I'm sure he wanted to see some places. I tugged at my shirt again, trying to piece up my words. I guess I can make even the smallest of things into a big deal.

"Rupes?" I asked shyly, as he took out some plates. He sure knew his way around. Then another pang of guiltiness. Maybe he wouldn't have known it if I had spent some time with him. He put the eggs on the two plates, making sure I had the biggest portion, grabbed two forks and sat down next to me.

"Yes, m'lady?" He asked old fashionably and I couldn't help but giggle. He looked at me quite curiously, I could see in his eyes a trace of mischief. I realized that his eyes resembled those of a kid. He always made it look like trouble was looming around.

"What if you and I went out today? I have a few places in mind that I'm sure you'll love." I said and he gave me a dazzling grin. I threw him a small grin and he nodded his head enthusiastically, grabbing a big bite of his food. I nodded my head smiling, making it a done deal, and started enjoying my food also.

I know it seems a strange thing to say, but Rupert could cook. And I don't mean in the nice way, I mean the eggs were delicious! It seemed like I tasted them for the first time in my life. He was a diary with the abilities of a master chef, and I, a human, could barely cook. I usually bought things that could be heated in the microwave, or ordered stuff. I could get used to this.

"Yum! Rupert this is-" I swallowed the huge chunk of food, "-amazing! I didn't know you could cook so well." I happily said and he grinned, winking at me.

"I'm full of surprises." He playfully replied. "So, now that we're both finished, let's go get ready. The fountain show starts a 5. If we don't hurry, we'll be late. And the pier should be half-empty when the show ends."

I widened my eyes. "Wait. How did you know about the surprise?"

This time, he rolled his eyes and poked me. "Don't forget, love, I was your diary. I know stuff about you that even you don't know yet."

I drew back slowly, and digested the words he said. yeah, it made sense that he knew about the surprises I had in store for him, but saying that he knew me better than myself, somehow bothered me, even though I knew it was true. I wrote a lot of stuff in Rupes that even I don't know about anymore. I wonder why he decided to pop out, after all, my last entry was when I was in an okay place. He was thoroughly absent when I needed him most.

"About that.. How come you decided to show yourself now? You should know there were some pretty rough times when I needed you. Not that I don't appreciate you showing up when you did, I'm just curious." I murmured and he looked at me seriously. he sighed and looked to the side.

"I knew you'd ask this sometime. Truthfully, I knew what I could do. There's more of us out there than you can even imagine. We don't decide when to become human. It just..happens. When the human we're connected to feels a range of specific emotions, to a specific degree, we react to those as if they are the key to a lock that allows us to become what we are today. Of course, we have to convince our companions, masters even, that we really are who - or better, what - we claim to be. Otherwise, we die. We turn into a middle thing, not a diary nor a human, and we get lost into some sort of dimension and we're trapped there for eternity." He explained and with each word he said, I felt more and more curious. I needed to know more.

"And how did I.. end up with you?" I questioned. I noticed that this conversation was starting to bother him, like he didn't want to be known or thought of as an object, but a man. "Rupes, I love you, and I see you as nothing but a man, but I've got to know."

He sighed, and opened his mouth, like he was being forced. "Certain objects emit an aura that only one person can feel and connect to. That's why you wanted to buy me the moment you spotted me. I can't exactly remember how I've ended up in that shop, but I know that the old lady that sold me, was actually a guardian of some sort of both your world and mine."

"What do you mean?" I inquired further. This was getting way more SF than I hoped it would.

"C'mon, you can't honestly say you thought I was born into this world." He smirked and trailed my jawline with his skinny fingers.

"So where do you come from?"

"Inside your soul. Now, you still want to get to the show or you want to track the old lady?" He asked.

I thought about it. What Rupert said made me seem mad for even believing it. But if I hadn't witnessed his transformation, if he hadn't told me all those things that not even my parents knew, I would've called the cops right then and there. But I was convinced that what he just said was true. truer than my life, even. I couldn't deny that I was a bit scared, nervousness egging me to quit the insane plan I had forming inside my head. But I just knew I wanted to know more. I somehow felt that if I didn't know this, some sort of barrier would always be between me and Rupert.

"I'll go grab the car keys. You go get dressed." Rupert spoke, knowing my answer before me. I nodded my head and scurried to my room. But a question was bothering me.

If the old lady was a guardian, wouldn't she already know that we were looking for her? Shouldn't she run off or something?
♠ ♠ ♠
"She curls her lips on the bow, and I don't know if I'm dead or not."
- Broken Bells