Pink Apartment

pixels.

Image

I slowly walked to work. I couldn't believe this was happening to me. I mean really. A diary coming to life and the last day of work. All crammed into one big session. Terrible.

I didn't look forward to this day. You see, when I said Mr. Dunn was evil, I wasn't joking. Being the last day of the week, Mr. Dunn consciously kept most of the work that had to be done for this day. Not cause he was just evil, no. He also wanted to make sure he gave me the best torture he possibly could. Enough to last me for the two days of freedom I had.

A 19-year old girl spent her Friday nights like this: going to clubs, drinking too much, waking up with a monster hang over and then do it all again. I spent my Friday nights running erratically around the office looking for Mr.Dunn's projects, answering the hundreds of phone calls he got each second and then probably spilling hot, boiling coffee all over myself.

Most of my Friday nights went by like this.

But no. Today just had to be special. Rupert was trailing behind me, latched on to my arm and anxiously pointing around to every tall building he could lay his hands on. He pointed out things that were, well, strange.

"Wow. This one's made out of glass too! Entirely!" Rupert happily yelled, causing a few heads to turn in our direction. I blushed a bit and waved at them to keep going. I inhaled and pursed my lips.

"Rupert, I kinda have to get to work. I was supposed to be there three minutes ago!" I whisper-yelled, tugging on his sleeve. I had to dig up my father's shoes and thankfully I found a pair which more or less fit Rupert.

"Oh, Remy! That one! Look, it reflects the other building's image!" Rupert yelled again. I pursed my lips even more.

"Rupert, you're making me run late. Now come on. Maybe we can get in before Mr. Dunn arrives." I spoke hopefully, dragging Rupert into the elevator. I sighed, all calm now, and pushed the button that showed the number '20' written in shiny, red letters.

It's like God's will, I tell you. Just half an inch away from pushing the inviting button, a hand kept the doors open. A small, hairy, chubby hand. My eyes widened in fear and I ran behind Rupert, clinging on his jumper like my life depended on it. I pressed my legs against the back of his and pushed my bag between us.

"What-" Rupert started alarmed but I shushed him. He turned his head to look at the midget man that just entered. His eyes widened, just as mine did. "Is he-?" He whispered, turning his head casually and I bobbed my head against his back twice.

He tensed up. I pushed myself even more against Rupert.

Mr. Dunn was watching Rupert from the corner of his eyes. He studied the man that put his back against the elevator's walls. He cleaned up his suit a little before coughing, getting both mine and Rupert's attention.

"Young man, I haven't seen you around here. What department are you in?" Mr. Dunn inquired and I couldn't help but whisper R-rated words over and over again under my breath.

"Me? I work in the umm.." He stalled and he poked me with his elbow and I looked up at him with the most alarmed face I could muster.

"Accessories department." I whispered hurriedly and he stopped moving for a bit.

"Well?" Mr. Dunn pressed, amazingly not seeing me.

"I work in the Accessories Department." He said confidently. I almost believed him too. His voice and eyes definitely helped him a lot. Even Mr. Dunn fumbled around a bit before snapping back to the same mean man he really was.

"Oh? And how long have you been working here? " Mr. Dunn asked snappily. Rupert simply smiled, letting his eyes shine through.

"A month." Rupert asked before I could even help him. I poked him back angrily and he jumped up in pain a little bit. He turned his head to me, pretending to look at the side.

"They didn't hire last month. They hired three months ago." I said tensely, fighting not to poke my head out and blowing both of our covers.

"Nice try, boy. We didn't hire last month." Mr. Dunn confirmed and I felt my feet losing their power.

"Actually, I thought you asked how long I have really been working here. I was hired three months ago and I got promoted." Rupert completed just as snottily, enjoying the mind games he was playing just a little too much. Mr. Dunn was at a loss of words and he turned his head. The number 20 shined through.

"Then why are you going on the 20th floor? Accessories are on the 24th." I frantically searched my mind for every excuse I could find. I had nothing. Mr. Dunn looked expectantly at Rupert and he was jabbing my ribs more and more. Finally, when the silence was stretched out too much, Mr. Dunn reached for his special cell-phone. The one he called security with.

Seems like Rupert figured it out as well, being that it was big and bulky. But I didn't have any excuse and my mind was far too panicked to even apologize.

"I was visiting my girlfriend." Rupert spoke, catching us both off guard. Mr. Dunn raised his left eyebrow, scanning Rupert again for any trace of lies.

"And who is your girlfriend?" Mr. Dunn venomously asked. I knew before he even thought of it: he hated when his employees had other distractions. He hated when someone actually had a life.

Rupert tried stalling again, but to no avail. Finally, he spoke as a true gentleman would. "I prefer to keep that stuff private."

"Do tell." My boss said fumbling around, pretending to look in his suitcase. It was small, like the Barbie bags do. But it had big, golden letters on the right side. Dunn to be more exact. As if he would ever forget who the bag belonged to.

"Her name is Remy." Rupert said, careful to slip in a tone of affection.

"Williams?"

"Oh, I see you know her as well!" My so called boyfriend enthusiastically spoke up. My heart fluttered a bit. It was all theatric but I couldn't help the popping questions in my head.

"Of course." Mr. Dunn spoke slowly and angrily. "So you're the reason she's been slacking off work." He accused, pressing the button twice more. I understood him. I wanted this to be over as well.

"Excuse me? That girl is coming home every day exhausted from work. And she's not coming early either. I think she does her fair share of work. Do you?"

At the same time, the elevator doors opened and Mr. Dunn stepped out as red as a lobster. I wiped my forehead and ran to my office using the fire escapes. When I finally made it into the small lobby I plunged on my chair. Rupert calmly walked behind Mr. Dunn, coming casually at my side.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Well drop me a line with a hook and some raw bleeding bait."
- Brand New

i'm really starting to love Pink Apartment.
i really don't know what'll happen next.
this story just seems to be going on
chapter for chapter.
which in an entirely new concept for me.

it's an original. i like inventing out of
the box situations.

love, lynn