Pink Apartment

telephone.

Image

"So you took him back. Just like that." Bandi, a friend from work, concluded. She looked up, her red glasses falling on the bridge of her nose. I pursed my lips and typed something on the computer.

"Yeah. He apologized and I forgave him." I said looking at her. Then, I went back to watching the flat computer screen that showed nothing but Mr.Dunn's appointments. Boring man, he must be. "Plus, I didn't know forgiving is such a sin."

"Remy, he'll hurt you." She spoke worriedly. I rolled my eyes and blew my hair out of my face. I pressed each button more aggressively, filling the room with the constant tapping noise. I could tell she was still looking at me. I, however, chose to ignore her. Bad things can happen when you work with a close friend. They suddenly think they know everything.

"So? It's part of the process." I said. She lifted one eyebrow and went back to work. I looked at her uncertainly; she never gave up this fast. But what alarmed me most was the blank look on her face. I grinned.

Quiet. Finally.

"On the bright side, I heard he's a good fu-. Good. I heard he's good." She quipped and I looked at her, throwing her the same blank look she had on before. Bandi; like all friends, had good intentions, but rarely knew when to stop.

"I'm glad you heard that. It's nice to hear good things about others."

We both averted our gaze, and picked the coffee we had sitting on our desks. We each took a sip of it, setting it down at the exact same time.

"I heard Stan McKeena hooked up with Charlotte." Bandi dished, with her i-know-dirt-you-wouldn't-believe voice. My head snapped up and I widened my eyes.

"Which one?" I asked, thinking about the two Charlottes we had here. One was an introvert, and the other one had a very thin figure. I believe she used to be a model. With a huge huge ego. Surely, it must have been the second one.

"Remember the chick that comes here everyday and steals our ballpoint pens? She's always wearing something orange on her. Y'know, the one who always wears loafers." She whispered, just as Stan was passing by our office. He waved excitedly and I waved back, smiling nervously. Bandi just burst into laughter.

"The Clepto? That Charlotte? Didn't she use to be a nun or something?" I asked, once the coast was clear. She nodded her head. This was shocking.

"Hey, at this point, a nun's working in the fashion industry. A lot of shit can happen, Rems."

"Gross. Remember the time she shoved that Miley Cyrus CD in your face?" I reminded her, laughing. The look of dread mixed with disgust and with murder intent was hilarious. I remember her reaction made my day. "I still wonder how you didn't break it." Let's add her hate for pop music. That was something.

"It's because she gave it to me for Christmas." She said and I looked at her, analyzing if she was lying or not. She had a very serious face on. I burst out into laughter almost immediately. Bandi just rolled her eyes.

"How's Justin?" I asked, still chuckling.

"We went to dinner and somehow his ex-girlfriend just 'happened' to be there. It's the third time this week. It was horrible." She complained. She was typing on her computer, so I went back to working on mine.

"Oh, c'mon. I remember Jenny. She's not that bad." Jenny used to be one of my closest friends actually. Then she stopped talking to me. Just like that. I never thought about it. Luckily, almost all of Justin's girlfriends were pretty cool. I met Justin at the Design School.

"Oh, shut up, Remy. She totally sat down with us and proceeded to flirt with my boyfriend for the rest of the night. Anyway, I decide to ignore it, right? Cause, I mean, what harm can she do, right?" She asked, getting into this story almost way too much. She was very good in Theatre. She chose Drama in high school. It also was her middle name.

"Um, I guess." I said uncertainly. I kept on typing. I was already behind on a few projects and I knew better than anyone what Mr. Dunn would do to me if he found out.

" Wrong. The bitch threw her orange juice on me 'accidentally'. I ignore that too. Thirty minutes later she sits up to buy us, I mean only Justin some drinks, but that's not the point of it. She goes away, I'm totally throwing daggers at Justin, he shakes his shoulders nervously and I feel bad and shut up."

"She'll go away in a minute, honey. I'm sorry. Thank you for being nice. I love you." She mimicked the best she could, using Justin's voice and what I could tell was his face when he said that.

"So that makes me feel bad and I shut up yet again. Four freaking minutes later, her dad shows up! Her dad. I thought I was back in high school, watching this thing unload. Only this time, I was you and you were me. With better taste in what I wore, obviously." She poked at me. I grimaced.

"Shut up, Bandie. Cher was pretty big then."

"Yeah, in her hips." She said, bursting yet again into hysterical laughter. I grimaced yet again. That was cruel.

"Jerk." I said. She poked out her tongue and I went back to scribbling a few notes on my agenda. Nothing interesting so far.

The phone started ringing, interrupting our conversation which featured dates from hell and fashion disasters. I was glad it was over. I could recall what I wore in high school.Ugh.

"Hello? Mr. Dunn's office."

"Remy, come in for a second. I've got something to tell you." He said in the same snotty, know-it-all voice.

"Yes, sir." I said and shut the phone. I flipped it off and I heard Bandi snicker.

"What did he want?"

I shook my shoulders and walked into his office. Bracing myself for whatever was about to come.

"A few colleagues of yours complained of the fact that you're distracting them." He started, almost as soon as I set foot in his office. Which could be described better as a whole freaking apartment. He even had a bed in there. And a few new paintings from what I could tell.

"What? That's not true! I didn't do anything to distract them but sit behind my office and doing my work!" I complained but he shook his head. I narrowed my eyes and mouthed a curse word, but he looked up and I pretended to look at a piece of art. He didn't catch me.

"I don't care. Majority decides. So, you're going to work with Stan Mckeena. Congratulations. Now go."

I exited his office with my jaw on the floor. Bandi looked up anxiously and I felt my throat go dry.

"I'm going to work with Stan." I said, feeling dread coming over me. I only then realized what this meant. His libido was certainly high. Almost dangerously high.

"Good luck with that." Bandi snickered and I shut my computer and grabbed a few pens and papers. I exited the office and I noticed Stan wave at me. Needless to say, good luck wasn't for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
"We have forgotten so much since then. The scent of your breath again."
- Ra Ra Riot

hope you like it
i'm still in exam session
but i couldn't stay
away anymore.

love, lynn.