Get Out Alive

Things That Go Bump In The Night

“It’s come down to this?” Jayne asked, a note of sarcasm in her voice.
Olivia looked up from where she was hunched in the corner of one of the cells, where we had all currently locked ourselves into, for fear that someone else was here that wasn’t meant to be, but there was a tense fear in the cell where we all were covering ourselves with blankets as well, why? Because Lee was here, and it was clear that some of us each had a little doubt. After all, he did swear that he would kill Justin by the end of the night…
“And you’re trying to tell us that you’re not scared?” Olivia asked, somewhat terrified.
I felt Jayne’s hand squeeze my leg gently from under the blanket we were using, “Not as scared as you look.” She mumbled, but I knew she was lying, and I could see Mary throw her a doubtful look,
“It’s probably just something trying to scare us…” Mary mumbled.
“By killing somebody?! And the top prize goes to such and such for killing someone to scare us!” I said sarcastically.
“Well…you could see it as a person who couldn’t bear to see us suffer listening to him for a week, or maybe there’s some crazed animal here.” Jayne said lightly.
“ A crazed animal…in a public building, in which tourists visit everyday?” I asked, trying not to laugh at the idea, but somehow wanting to believe it too, Lee was sitting over in the corner by himself, I was sitting under the same blanket as Jayne, and Mary and Olivia were sitting beside each other, both staring at the ceiling. The cell was getting dark quickly, and the silence was creepy.
Jayne stuck out her tongue at me, “I don’t know. If it was a person and wanted us too, we’d all be dead now too.”
I scratched my arm, “Not necessarily.” I mumbled.
“Maybe..” Jayne mumbled, “But we all need to agree on one thing.” She mumbled, causing the others to look in her direction.
“We all need to stay together, we do not walk around on our own, okay?” Jayne asked, well more ordered, but there was a quiver in her voice, and I knew she was more scared that she let on.
“Deal.” Mary mumbled, “If we ever get out of this here in the first place.”
“Well, I guess we’ll have to at some point.” Olivia mumbled.
I sighed, and rested my head on Jayne’s shoulder, “For all we know, we could have locked ourselves into the most haunted freaking cell in this hell hole.” I muttered.
“Please…” Olivia mumbled, “Do not say that.”
“Oops.” I mumbled.
I felt Jayne laugh lightly beside me.
“So what are we going to do?” Mary asked.
“About?” I asked.
“The body,how we’re going to survive the next six days, we’re hardly going to stay locked in one cell staring at the ceiling are we?”
“I really don’t know.” Jayne mumbled from beside me.
“Why did I even agree to this?” Olivia whispered.
“Because you liked the idea of it being a fundraiser, and the amount of money we raised.” Lee mumbled, speaking for the first time in a while.
Everyone sighed, and I could feel it, regret.

~oOo~

Lee sat up suddenly, I had staring at the ceiling, just thinking, everyone else was asleep, apart from me, and now I guess Lee, I stared at him, “What happened?” I whispered.
“Did..you just tap me?” He whispered.
“No. I’m on the other side of the cell. I haven’t moved in hours.” I mumbled.
“I felt someone touch me.” He whispered, I could hear the terror in his voice, “They tapped on my shoulder two times, like they were trying to wake me.”
“Maybe you dreamt it?” I asked.
“No one else is awake, are they?” He mumbled.
“No. And I’ve been awake since we came here, and no one has came in the door, no one would be able to.”
“Crap.” He mumbled.
“Don’t worry.” I said quietly.
I heard him laugh sarcastically, “Practice what you preach.” He mumbled.
I didn’t answer him, I just traced random patterns on my arm with my finger, a part of me wishing I had sharp nails, or a sharp…anything.
“El?” Lee whispered.
“Hm?” I asked.
“You know the forms in the hospital? When you sign them, what are they called?” He whispered.
I stared confused in his direction, only seeing the dark, “There’s many forms you sign in a hospital.” I mumbled.
“The one….where you choose not to come back to life.” He mumbled.
I tried not to laugh, “They don’t reincarnate zombies, but I know what you mean, a DNR, right?”
“That’s it! What does it stand for?” He asked, his voice curious.
I tried to see even his outline, but it was too dark, “Do not resuscitate.” I muttered.
“Thanks.” He mumbled.
“Why?” I asked, curious as to why he’d even ask that.
He was silent for a second, “Remember last year, when you were in hospital, when you were..sick? Is it true you signed one?” He whispered.
“Mhhm.” I mumbled.
“Why?” He whispered.
I shrugged, even though no one would be able to see, “I wanted to.” I muttered, closing the subject, five minutes ago he’d been freaked out. I had my secrets, I’d like to keep them too.
“So does that mean…never mind..” He mumbled.
“What?” I asked, confused.
He was silent for a second, “If you died here, like on the last day, and there was a machine thing here, would they try to help you, or would the DNR still be in order?”
I stared into the darkness, “I don’t know, I suppose it would..why?” I whispered.
“Just wondering.” He mumbled.
I bit my lip, and felt a shiver of fear run through me. I didn’t intend saying anything else, I was just trying to convince myself what I was trying to convince myself yesterday…he couldn’t be the killer….he just couldn’t.
I heard someone move, suddenly. “Shit!” He hissed.
“What?” I asked.
I could hear him take in a deep breath, “Did you feel anything?”
“No.” I mumbled.
“I swear! Something just tugged on my arm.” He whispered.
“Calm down.” I mumbled. “It’s probably nothing.”
He was silent, I could hear him taking a few deep breaths, as though he was trying to maintain his patience.
I continued to stare at the black of the ceiling, and then I heard something, outside the cell door, kind of far away, but near enough, it was like a few swift footsteps over the stone floor, it was as if whatever it was trying to be quite, but obviously not wearing soft soled shoes, after three footsteps the sound disappeared.
“…Lee?” I whispered.
“What?” He almost snapped.
“Did you hear that?” I asked.
He was silent for a minute, “The footsteps?”
“Yes?”
“I did.” He mumbled.
I closed my eyes, wishing I was out of here. “What do you thi-” I stopped mid-sentence when I felt someone’s hand wrap around my arm, as though they were trying to pull me away, but not able to, I could feel my chest constrict, not wanting to breathe, and I couldn’t hear my heart beat either, I tried to see who had grabbed my arm, but when I put my free arm out there was no one there, and the grip had almost faded away from my arm. Okay, now I was terrified.
“..El?” Lee hissed, worry in his voice.
“Now I believe you.” I mumbled, my voice sounded weak.
I heard on of the others turn around in their sleep,
“Believe me about what?” He asked, confused.
“Something…just grabbed my arm….” I mumbled.
“Oh.” He said quietly, his voice almost sounded monotone, like he was trying to cover up how scared he really was.
“Mhm.”
Jayne turned around in her sleep, but didn’t wake up.
I closed my eyes, trying to imagine I was somewhere, nice and warm, and comfy..okay, that’s not going to work right now.
I felt the hair on the back of my neck raise, and I shivered with the cold, Lee was silent, and I was wondering was I the only one that felt so freaked out and uneasy all of a sudden.
Jayne sat up slowly, “Why is it so cold?” She mumbled.
“It’s Ireland.” Mary said quietly from across the room, her voice scared me for a second because I thought she was still asleep.
“I guess.” Olivia whispered.
“Okay, so we’re all awake.” I mumbled, “What do we do now?”
“Die.” Lee mumbled.
Everyone was silent for a second. “Not funny.” Olivia muttered under her breath.
“Sorry.” Lee mumbled quietly.
“I really need to pee.” Olivia whispered.
“Please, not in here.” Lee mumbled, trying to be funny.
I could hear her take a few deep breaths, and I’m guessing it was so she wouldn’t punch him. “So, does anyone know where the bathroom is here?”
“I do.” Lee mumbled.
“Will you come with me then? Seeing as we’re not aloud to go anywhere on our own.” She mumbled.
“Fine.” He mumbled begrudgingly, I could hear them both stand up.
“Be careful.” Jayne whispered.
“Sure, sure.” Lee muttered, unlocking the cell door quickly, and I could see his shadow holding out his hand for Olivia, to which she took it, then they disappeared and they closed the door.
“Should we really have let her go with Lee?” Mary asked after a second.
“Well he’s hardly going to kill her, is he?” Jayne asked.
“It’s possible.” I mumbled.
I heard a door bang loudly, and jumped all of a sudden, then there was an ear piercing scream.
Jayne pulled me closer to her, and I heard Mary move so that she was sitting on the other side of Jayne, “What do we do?” She hissed.
“..I…I don’t know..” Jayne mumbled, stopping the minute she heard another scream, this time, it was definitely Olivia’s voice screaming ‘Help me’
“Should we go..?” I asked.
“Probably.” Jayne and Mary answered at the exact same time, but they didn’t move, they just sat there, a look of pure terror on their faces.
I felt helpless, like I should do something, but I couldn’t, and I should, I should just get up right now, and run down to where Olivia’s in trouble, and if I get killed too, it was because I was trying to save a friend.
I started to stand up, but Jayne caught my arm, “Where are you going?” She asked.
“To try and help Olivia…” I whispered.
“I’m coming with you.” She mumbled, standing up.
“I’m not staying here on my own, “I’ll come too.” Mary mumbled.
We ran quickly to the bathrooms, where we first saw Lee on the ground by the door, his head in his hands, like he was crying, or had a bad headache, and fresh blood on his clothes, I felt my stomach twist.
We walked slowly into the bathroom, seeing the blood smeared over the floor, I nearly got sick, then there was Olivia’s lifeless body in the corner, a slash right across her neck. “Oh god..” I whispered, feeling tears run down my cheeks.
I turned around, and glared at Lee, who was now standing at the door, watching us three.
“YOU BASTARD!” I screamed, as loud as I could.
Jayne pulled me back, and Mary stood in front of me, stopping me from running up and killing him myself.
“It wasn’t me, I swear!” Lee mumbled.
“I don’t believe you.” I spat. “Stay away from us.” I muttered.
“Fine. But if I get killed, it’s all your fault.” He said quietly, before turning and walking away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Oh, don't forget to check the characters, if you're confused about their personalities, etc, :)