Status: heartbeat.

Only from a distance.

Chapter Thirty-Six.

[Mariah's POV]

Chapter Thirty-Six -

Mariah.

My stomach was hot. It felt as if it was sweating. My eyes wanted to stay closed, but my body wanted to fly to the moon and back. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to say. Too bad I didn't have time to think about that. I guess this is what the truth feels like.

Brian and I sat together on the sand. He was sitting straight up with me in his lap, leaning against his chest. I was sitting Indian-style with my beer in my hand. The beer bottle was cooling my skin. I pulled my legs apart and spread them out. My toes felt the water rush. I smiled and looked up at the moon.
"I could almost say that this is the most amazing night ever," I whispered.
He kissed my hair.
"Brian, don't talk."
He cleared his throat.
"Just listen because I'm drunk," I hesitated then giggled.
"And I don't know what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it."
It would've been complete silence except for the smooth sound of the waves.
"After the party," My voice was cracking. I wanted to cry for no apparent reason. I didn't know what I was about to say, why would I need to cry this early?
"My mom cheated on my dad."
My face was streaming with tears. I leaned forward and put my face into my knees.
Brian leaned forward and held me. I turned around and straddled him.
"She's a whore, a big fucking whore. I hate her. She's ruined everything. She's always ruined everything. I fucking..." I couldn't continue. I was quiet and my hands just traced Brian's cheeks.
My lips softly stroked his again, again, again, and again. He pulled away.
"Can I talk now?" Brian asked. I nodded.
"Not everything's ruined. Nothing is ever always ruined."
He raised my chin and looked into my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
- Italics are journal entries.