Learning How to Swim

Garage Band King

“And now I have to watch you drown...”

Adam’s voice faded into the background, and Roselyn and I stood up, cheering and jumping up and down. He smiled at me, setting down his Les Paul and walking up to me.

“Did you like it?” he asked me, his voice a mere whisper in my ear.

“I loved it,” I told him, smiling.

“Your smile is so gorgeous, Val,” he told me, smiling softly before kissing my lips quickly. He jerked himself away from me, turning back to the band. “So our gig is set up, right, Vince?”

“Yeah. Gallagher’s Tavern is all set up for next Saturday. He heard the tape and said he couldn’t wait.” Vince glanced over at Roselyn, smiling. She grinned back, jumping into his arms as he dropped the bass.

“Great. Alicia, wicked drumming and great riffing, Quincy.” He smiled his award-winning smile. He’d probably be even more gorgeous if he kicked the cocaine addiction. He turned back to me, holding out a hand. I stepped up and took it. “So I wanted to talk to you, little lady. Alone.”

Roselyn gave me a look, which involved her raising her eyebrow and somehow wiggling it while Vincent held her close. I giggled, allowing Adam to lead me into the house.

“Hey, can you help me get the drinks out there?” he asked, handing down glass after glass. I pulled the vodka out of the fridge, handing it to him. “Thanks, babe.”

He poured the alcohol into the cups, opening his mouth and closing it a few times. I took the glasses and was about to go back outside when he caught my hand. I went to turn around, but he took the glasses and placed them on the counter before twirling me into his arms.

“Our talk wasn’t helping me with the drinks,” he teased, kissing me softly. I smiled nervously as his hands fell to my hips.

“Then what is this fabled talk I’ve been hearing so much about?” I taunted, poking his chest.

He only smirked before leaning in again and kissing me. Usually he kissed playfully and short, but this time I had a feeling it wasn’t going to be so innocent. He pulled me closer, holding me tightly to his chest.

“You know,” he told me between kisses, “we’ve been talking for two weeks, and you’re a girl I know I could get used to having around.” He kissed my neck before attacking my lips again. “I was wondering if you, you know, would like to be mine?”

I pulled back and looked up at him, not sure what to say. He looked so confident.

“You know, I’ll be the garage band king and you be my punk rock princess. I know a party coming up, and I want you to go with me.” He looked confused. “Love?”

Steven... That was all I could think about. I remembered when he had kissed me in the backseat of my parents’ car, when he had covered my mouth whenever I said the phrase “last night”, and the cute way he always brought me the strangest food I’d ever seen. Or when he was watching the Tampax commercial and was so engrossed in it. Or...

Or the note he had managed to sneak into my pocket.

“Hey, babe, are you still with me? My heart is beating like crazy, here!” he told me, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me gently. “Alyssa?”

I shook my head, remembering where I was.

“I’m sorry, I spaced out. What?”

“Do you want to be my girlfriend?”

I had already screwed with Steven enough. He was a good kid.

“Of course I do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I forget to update, and I'm sorry for that. I'm just trying to juggle everything, and it's not working! But I digress. Hope you liked the chapter :D