Learning How to Swim

Hit the Pavement

“Is something wrong?” Adam finally asked, sighing as he let me out of his embrace.

“I—I’m just not in the mood. I’m sorry,” I told him, sitting up in his bed. I tossed the sheets off of me, watching as he reluctantly pulled his shirt back on.

“Yeah. I get it,” he mumbled, standing up and zipping his jeans back up. “I’m just hoping you’ll put out eventually.”

“Thanks. I’m flattered,” I grumbled, only half teasing him. “Adam, did you ever notice me before?”

“What do you mean? Like before we started talking?” I nodded. “I don’t know. I saw you around. But you were always talking to Quigg, so I wasn’t going to beat myself up over it. I like you so much better when you’re dressed all sexy.” He kissed my lips once, tossing me my shirt. I pulled it on quickly.

“Yeah... So we had partners in history; that’s why I couldn’t come over yesterday. Guess who I got?”

“That son of a bitch!” he cursed under his breath, knocking a glass jar off of his desk. I cringed.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” I asked, standing up and placing a hand on his shoulder. He turned around suddenly, shaking his head.

“I told him to stay away from you. I told him to back off, but he didn’t!”

“Adam, it wasn’t his fault… When did you talk to him?” I asked, hands on my hips.

“Look, I heard about how you and him... Yeah.” He grimaced, pulling me to him. “I just wanted to make sure he didn’t touch you ever again. That’s it. I didn’t beat him up, though I wanted to. Oh, and what was he doing in your room yesterday?”

I gawked at him. “What?”

“You heard me!”

“How do you even know that he was at my house?” Okay, he’s a stalker!

“I keep my eye on you because I love you. I know where you are at every moment of the day to make sure you’re safe. And now I want to know why Quigg was in your room. I get that you had a project, but I don’t see why he needed to be on your bed!”

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. I had gotten it cut recently. It was rather short and shaggy. I’d dyed it blond with pink streaks randomly throughout it. Adam had helped me pick out the style. I bit my lip, pulling myself out of his arms.

“Adam... I think we’re moving too fast.” Excuses. Excuses, excuses. “I miss how it used to be, you know? I just don’t think I’m ready for a boyfriend.”

He narrowed his eyes as if he didn’t believe what he was hearing. He pulled out a cigarette and put it in his mouth, but he didn’t look for a lighter.

“Are you dumping me?”

“No,” I lied, kissing his cheek. “I just think we should back it up a little. You know, keep our options open.”

“You’re not leaving me.”

“Pardon me?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. “I don’t think that’s your decision.”

“It is. And you’re staying with me. You’re not going anywhere, Alyssa.” He didn’t look like he was joking.

“No! Don’t do this! I’ll see you at school, okay?” I asked him, shaking my head and opening his door. I turned to glare at him when he caught my wrist. “Don’t touch me.”

“Don’t tell me what to do. I’ll touch what’s mine if I want!” he hissed, jerking me back to him.

I smacked him across the face, loving the tingling in my hand. His unlit cigarette dropped out of his mouth as he reached up to touch the hand print I had left.

“Adam,” I stated softly, opening the door and slipping out. I didn’t like that creepy look on his face. “I have to go home.”

“Stay right there,” he told me, grabbing my forearm roughly.

“That hurts!” I hissed, yanking my arm free. “Look, I’m late already. Don’t even bother driving me. I’ll walk.”

I hurried down the steps, trying not to cry when I heard the floorboards creaking behind me. He tried to grab me again, but I started running. I slammed the door behind me, taking off down the road. It was two miles to my house, but I didn’t want to stay with Adam for another second. I just didn’t feel safe. At all.

“Get your whoring ass back here!” he screamed after me, standing in his driveway as if I would crawl back to him.

“No! Stop being such a bastard!” I yelled as I turned around the corner.

I heard his shoes hit the pavement, fast. I took off running. But a smoker’s lungs aren’t so great. Adam had been smoking for longer than me, but I guess he was just used to it. Or he was completely insane!

I could have cried when he grabbed my hair, pulling me backwards. I screamed, smacking him again as my head throbbed.

“Get in the car,” someone told me.

I only nodded, tearing myself from the psychopath and jumping in, slamming the door quickly. I glanced over and saw Steven.

Oh, boy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Steven's back in the picture! Does that make anyone as happy as it makes me? :)