Learning How to Swim

99% Profanity-Free

“What the hell were you thinking?” Steven hissed at me, gripping the wheel so tightly that his knuckles were turning a sickly white.

“I don’t know! I didn’t think he’d go crazy!” I stared down at my hands as they sat silently in my lap. I knew that he was really mad, or maybe upset, because he never cursed at me. Actually, I think maybe he just didn't curse at all.

“He’s a druggie—those kinds of people are dangerous; unpredictable. You could have gotten hurt!” He slammed down on the brake as we came to a stop sign.

“When did you get your license?” I asked him, smiling. Kind of.

He sighed. “I’ve had it for a while. I just prefer the bus. You know, no getting killed in a teenage car crash and all that. I’ve heard it’s not so glamorous.” He stepped on the gas pedal after looking both ways. “Statistics prove it, you know. But stop making me ramble. What were you doing at his house? What made him go insane?”

“I dumped him,” I told him, biting my lip. “I dumped him, so he told me no.”

No?” I nodded. “I told you those kinds of people are nothing but trouble.”

“Don’t be such a stereotypical jerk,” I begged. “Alicia and Roselyn are good friends.”

“I’m sorry.” He sighed, keeping his eyes locked on the road. “I just mean that you should have gotten out sooner. He has a criminal record; surely someone told you all the shit he’s done!” He took in a shaky breath as I cringed. “I apologize for the language. I was just thinking about what could have happened. So why did you finally break it off?”

“He asked why you were in my room,” I breathed, still afraid that Adam might appear out of nowhere.

He was silent for a few seconds. “He stalked you?”

I nodded. “He said he keeps his eye on what’s his.”

“Well, you’re not his anymore. I’ll make sure of that myself. He’s lucky I don’t take life threats so seriously, or I would have called the police on him. I’m sure he would have been in jail for quite some time. Dual offense, you know?”

“He didn’t hurt you, did he?” I asked, my voice a small whisper. He smiled softly.

“Just a few bruises and some name-calling—nothing for you to worry about. Just don’t go back to him, okay? I can’t save someone who refuses to be saved, you know.”

My drowning sister flashed through my mind, and I suddenly knew exactly how he was feeling. Unlike Kara, however, I would accept the help of water-wings. We pulled into my driveway, and I leaned over to hug him.

“Thank you, Steven. For everything.” I got out of the car, watching him drive away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, I know. But at least Steven and Alyssa are talking again, right? :D