Learning How to Swim

Tying Loose Ends

I had quit the therapy sessions two weeks later. We had mutually agreed that they weren’t doing anything for me, and all the support I had ever needed was waiting right down the street. If the whole experience has taught me anything it is that trust is a very precious thing, and once you get it you hold on to it for the rest of your life.

Steven and I had lost touch after his senior year, but I still had Rose and Alicia. They were great friends. Kara had come home a month early, and they had finally gotten her dosage right. She’s doing a lot better now, and is expecting a new baby girl in spring. Her and her husband can’t wait, though I think Kevin is a little worrisome over the whole prospect of being a dad.

Adam moved out of state after getting out of juvenile hall. Last I heard he was involved with a big gang clash, and he was pretty bad off. Vincent had proposed to Rose at graduation, and Alicia and Quincy finally started dating. I think Rose and Vince have a two-year-old daughter, but we haven’t spoken much since high school.

I went to college, majoring in clinical psychology. I specialized in clinical depression. While in college, Steven and I caught up. He was majoring in child psychology, just like his mother had. It had been nice to see him again, and we had started seeing each other again before deciding it would probably be best to go our separate ways. I had then started seeing a boy majoring in engineering psychology. However, that had only lasted a few months.

I had graduated with my doctorate years later, avoiding serious relationships. I had returned home for Christmas, wanting to see my family again, and Karolyn had greeted me with open arms, asking me how psychology was working out for me. It was then that I met Kara’s new husband, Kevin. I had immediately approved.

While at home for the holidays, I had been sitting out on my front porch when I saw a man walking towards me. He had been carrying a bowl of spaghetti or some kind of pasta dish. Steven had walked up to me with a smile, insisting that his food was even better since he’d taken culinary classes in college.

I had smiled, reminiscing about the past with him for a while. One thing had led to another, and we ended up kissing.

A year later he had finally proposed to me in plain view of my parents, Kara, and my brother-in-law. My mother had fainted; I had nearly collapsed. Kara had made kissing noises when my mother finally awoke while Kevin laughed. Steven and Kara had then started laughing together, managing to fall into a caroling session containing nothing but “Jingle Bells”.

I don’t talk to my friends from high school anymore. I had never thought that I would find Steven again, but sure enough we made it. Life has certainly thrown me a few curve balls, but I’ve managed to stay standing with the help of an amazing man.

And that amazing man will soon be an amazing father, and I simply cannot wait to see what the future will hold for us. I know he can’t wait either. After all, he’d never been too patient.

And I absolutely love that about him.

~Fin.
♠ ♠ ♠
I figured I'd end this story like this, because I never tie up loose ends like this. Anyway, hope you liked this story, and I'll post a new story sometime in the near future. It doesn't have anything to do with this, but I thought I'd say something :)