Take My Hand

five.

Over the next few months, life progressed for Leighton normally. She hung out with the guys on occasion with no word from David, and that was the way she liked it. Once in a while they would casually mention how terribly he was doing, almost as a last-ditch effort to try getting them back together - needless to say, it didn’t work.

“Listen, Pierre,” said Leighton one day in March, as nicely as she could. “I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but really, there is no hope for David and I getting back together.”

“You haven’t seen him, Leighton,” said Pierre - he actually seemed quite upset himself. Skye sat there awkwardly, having known the full story by now - her and Leighton had become quite close to one another.

“He doesn’t talk,” said Pierre. “None of his annoying jokes, goofy comments, crazy outbursts - nothing. He isn’t David anymore.”

Leighton sighed. “I’m sorry, Pierre, but I’m not going to take him back just because he’s moping.”

It was Pierre’s turn to sigh. “I know that, and I’m sorry I keep bugging you about it - I’ll stop. It’s just, he’s my best friend, and yes he is a total douche bag, but it’s still killing me to see him like this.”

Leighton said nothing. Pierre looked at Skye. “Should we get going?” he asked.

Again, as Leighton’s luck would have it, Pierre and Skye had been seeing each other a little bit. They weren’t officially dating, but they had been on a few dates.

Skye nodded. “Would you mind going to start the car and I’ll be there in a minute?”

Pierre nodded. “Sure.” He stood up, as did Leighton, and they hugged. “I’ll see you later, Leigh.”

After Pierre shut the front door behind him, Skye turned to Leighton. “Is it going to be a problem that I’m seeing Pierre?” asked Skye gently. “Because if it is, all you have to do is tell me - I’ll stop seeing him right away.”

Leighton shook her head, smiling. “It’s not a problem at all. Pierre’s one of my best friends, I want him to be happy. Besides, it’s not like you and him seeing each other has anything to do with my David situation.”

Skye smiled. “I just wanted to make sure you were alright with it. Thanks, Leighton.”

She smiled in return. “No problem, have fun.”

Skye left, and Leighton decided that she’d go to the mall and browse around.

Leighton drove to the mall and, once inside, decided she would just walk around and window shop. Things were going fine until she saw a very familiar face.

Fuck, she thought to herself. It was too late to turn around - she was sure that he’d seen her already. So, she had no choice but to keep walking.

“Hi,” Leighton said unsurely when her and David had reached each other.

“Hi, Leighton.”

As if Leighton wasn’t having a hard enough time, he was hand in hand with a girl. She made a mental note to kick Pierre’s ass for telling her total lies. He clearly wasn’t still hung up on Leighton if he was walking around holding hands with some other girl.

“Sophie, why don’t you head on over to Hollister and I’ll meet you in there?” asked David.

Leighton mentally cringed at the mention of the store name, and it disgusted her a little bit - David was no bigger a fan of the store than Leighton was.

It was obvious that this girl wasn’t happy about leaving David alone with Leighton, but nonetheless she nodded, quickly kissed him on the cheek, and walked away.

Leighton could tell that David wasn’t doing well. He looked empty, hollow. She knew him well enough to see right through him.

“She’s pretty,” stated Leighton.

At this, David shrugged.

Leighton raised an eyebrow. “What’s that for?”

Again, he shrugged.

“If you’re not happy, don’t be with her.”

“It’s…” he began. “I don’t know. I don’t know what I want. Well, I do, but I can’t have it.”

“Don’t do that to me, David,” said Leighton softly. “It’s not fair.”

David sighed and walked towards a nearby bench. Not sure what to do, Leighton decided to follow and sat beside him.

“I’m not going to beg for forgiveness,” said David. “Because I know I won’t get it, and I completely understand. It was the biggest mistake of my life, and I live with it every second of every day. I don’t know how much the guys have told you, and it doesn’t matter. I’m not here to grovel at your feet or anything. You‘ve moved on, and I understand that.”

Not knowing what exactly to say, Leighton nodded. She wasn’t quite sure why, but she didn’t feel angry. Truth be told, she didn’t know what it was that she felt - she refused to let herself believe that it was sympathy.

“The guys miss you,” stated David.

Leighton frowned. “I still see them.”

“Not often,” said David. “They miss having you around all the time.”

“Well, unfortunately, there is no real solution for that, is there?”

David sighed. “Listen, we’re playing a show at the Bell Centre on Friday night,” he said. “I know it would mean the world to them if you came.”

“I don’t want this to lead to anything, David,” said Leighton quietly.

He raised his hands innocently. “I swear, I’m asking for their sake. Not mine.”

Leighton sighed. “What time does it start?”

“We go on at eight, I believe,” said David.

“Pat’s number is still the same?”

He nodded.

“I’ll call him when I get there and he’ll be able to come let me in. Do me a favour, though?”

David looked at Leighton and nodded.

“Don’t say anything about it, I’ll surprise them a little.”

He smiled. “Sure thing.”

They both stood up. “Well, I’ll uh, see you on Friday, I guess,” said David.

“See you, David.”

As Leighton walked away, she couldn’t help but wonder what she was getting herself into.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I haven't posted anything in forever. And the sad thing is, I have the next two chapters after this one written as well. Comments will probably encourage me to update, but I'm not making any promises. I'm sorry.

Let me know your thoughts?