Sequel: Forever Connected
Status: Finished!

Why Should You Care Now?

Chapter 10

She stared into his eyes with confusion written as plain as day upon her face. Did she expect to ever see him show up to her doctor’s appointment? Not in a million years. Yet there he was, standing in the doorway next to one of the receptionists from the front desk. “Ms. Taylor?” the receptionist said. “He insisted that he see you.”

“That’s okay,” Jordan said from her position on the table. “He can stay.”

With a nod of her head, the receptionist closed the door behind the man leaving them alone until someone else came into the room. “What are you doing here?”

“I knew you had an appointment today, but I didn’t see your car in the parking lot so I didn’t know if you changed places or if you canceled, but I needed to be here.”

Nodding her head in understanding, Jordan motioned for him to take a seat instead of standing in the doorway. “Emmy has my car. Her car battery died and I let her take mine since she has both the kids today.”

“Where’s her car?” he asked.

“At the repair shop,” Jordan sighed. “So now it’s like I’m back with just my driving permit and I have to share a car again.”

“If you need a car-“

“I don’t need a car,” Jordan told him. “My car is fine and will be able to have the baby’s seat in the back and things will be fine.”

“So what are we doing here?”

“It’s a doctor appointment, Jon, what do you think we are going to do here?”

“Right.” He said looking around the room.

“It’s to make sure the baby is doing good and if luck is on our side the sex of the baby as well.”

“You can find out already?” Jon asked surprised.

“I hope so,” Jordan said placing her hand on her belly. It wasn’t too big yet, but it wasn’t the same when she had first moved to Chicago. “Do you want to find out? What the baby is?”

“I think it would be nice to know,” Jon smiled as he walked over to her. “Do you want it to be a surprise?”

“No way,” Jordan laughed. “It’s bad enough that I have to wait until the baby gets here, I don’t want to have to guess on what to buy.”

“You could do neutral colors, that way it wouldn’t matter.” Jon told her as he placed his hand on her stomach that seemed to have grown in the days that he hadn’t seen her for.

“Are you trying to talk me out of finding the sex?” Jordan asked as she hesitantly placed her hand over his.

“I just want to make sure that you know that this is what you want.”

“I can’t wait until I go into labor to find out,” Jordan told him. “I guess Emmy has rubbed off on me in that way. I want to know. That way we can plan out the baby’s room.”

“If that’s what you want.”

“It is.” Jordan told him with a smile on her face as there was a knock on the door and the person she was expecting came in.

It was the person who would let them know if the baby was a boy or a girl.

Everything went by just like at her previous appointments. Only this time, Jon sat next to her and held her hand as he watched the monitor that showed their baby. When Jordan looked at him, there was no breaking his gaze. This baby wasn’t only going to have the Blackhawks wrapped around their finger, but the captain, its daddy as well.

“So have we decided if we want to know the sex?”

“Yes, we want to know.” Jordan answered squeezing Jon’s hand.

Looking away from the screen and to the mother of his child, Jon gave her a smile.

“Like I said before, everything so far with your baby seems to be great,” the technician said. “But, I can’t tell you the sex of the baby.”

“Why not?” Jordan asked.

“Well the baby has its legs crossed and it’s not moving at all when I move the wand.”

“Yeah, it’s sleeping,” Jordan laughed. “Was up half the night kicking.”

“We can try again in a few weeks if you are interested.”

“Yes, please.” Jordan requested as she accepted the towel to wipe the goo off her stomach.

Walking out of the doctor’s office, Jordan took her phone out of her bag and stopped before walking to the parking lot. When Jon noticed she wasn’t next to him, he turned around and made his way to where she was going through her contact list. “How about an early dinner?” he asked once he reached her.

Jordan’s thumb hesitated over the call button as she looked up at him. “I-“

“Please?” he asked. “It’s my treat.”

“Okay,” Jordan agreed as she ended what was about to be a call to Emmy to pick her up. “That’ll make the baby really happy.”

“Is he hungry?”

“He?” Jordan asked, looking at him as she opened the passenger’s door of his car. “You don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl yet.”

“Trust me I know, we are going to have a boy and he’s gonna be the coolest kid of them all.”

“If you say so.” Jordan laughed.

After having a nice dinner with Jon, the two parents to be went back to his apartment. They ended up putting a movie on and watching it. Halfway through Jordan felt her eyes getting heavy, but she didn’t say anything to Jon. When he looked over to ask her if she wanted something to drink, he saw her sleeping with her hand propping her head up. Making his way over to her, he picked her up bridal style and carried her to his bedroom. He laid her down in the center of the bed and grabbed the blanket off the end of the bed and placed it over her. Looking over at the time on the alarm clock on the night stand, he knew he had to get to the airport soon. So he left her a note on the pillow next to where her head was resting.

Jordan woke up to her cell phone alarm going off. Making her way into the living area, she grabbed it out of her bag and turned it off. She looked around for Jon, but didn’t see him. With a long sigh, she took out her phone and called the one guy she knew would come and get her. After leaving the apartment, she decided to wait outside. When she saw the familiar car pull up, she walked up to it and opened the passenger’s seat as she heard another car honk at them.

“So what were you doing at Tazer’s?” Sharpie asked.

“Don’t you think one baby is enough?” Seabrook asked.

“He came to the appointment today. Emmy had my car since her battery died,” Jordan explained. “He took me to dinner and we came back and watched a movie. I fell asleep and when I woke up to my alarm, he was gone. I can’t miss my pill so I figured since he’s not there I’ll call someone that can get me home and yeah.”

“Mind if we hang for awhile?” Sharpie asked.

“Not if you don’t mind hanging with a baby and a little kid.”

“Joey and CT are a blast,” Sharpie laughed. “That kid can talk a mile a minute.”

“Yeah he gets that from my side of the family,” Jordan laughed as she rubbed her stomach. “I gave Jon a second chance at the airport and then he messed up. How do I know this time it will be different?”

“You don’t,” Brent told her. “But are you willing to take the chance that it is different?”

“I don’t want to keep doubting myself,” Jordan admitted. “I just want to go back to a time where my life didn’t feel so complicated and what not.”

“Life is always complicated,” Sharpie told her. “So are you having a boy or girl?”

“I don’t know.” Jordan said.

“Wasn’t that what you were all excited about yesterday at the arena?” Seabrook asked. “That you can finally buy either pink or blue stuff?”

“Don’t tell me Tazer talked you into keeping it a surprise.” Sharpie said.

“He wants to know what it is too,” Jordan laughed. “But the little one had its legs crossed, so we no matter what angle we couldn’t see.”

“I say girl.” Sharpie declared.

“How’s that?”

“She was crossing her legs as a good little girl,” he told her with a smirk on his features. “A boy would let you know clear as day what he was.”

“I know CJ did, that’s for sure,” Jordan laughed remembering when Emmy had shown her the picture and his legs were spread open. “That boy was not shy by any means.”

“Who taught him how to snuggle?” Seabrook asked.

“I did that with him so Emmy could get some sleep. And apparently he likes it.” Jordan said as Sharpie parked the car.

Once they made their way inside, Jordan could hear Thomas coming from the speakers of the TV. Jordan knew this would be her time to think about what it was that she really wanted, from Jon and for her baby’s life. And this was one thing she knew she couldn’t screw up.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so its short, but I couldn't get past this without giving into what happens in the next chapter. And in all honesty, I just wanted to post it. lol. Hope you enjoy. Next chapter will be normal length.