Sequel: Forever Connected
Status: Finished!

Why Should You Care Now?

Chapter 13

Ten days left. Just ten more until she could hold her baby, unless she went over the due date. On both of her sister-in-law’s pregnancies, she went over by five days. And those were five long days for Jordan and now Emmy had to deal with her while she waited for her nephew or niece to be born. The sex was still unknown so Jordan had eventually caved and had to do neutral colors for clothes and for the second bedroom in Jonathan’s apartment. She wasn’t living with Jon, but she did have clothes over there as well as other things. Staying nights at his place at first had been weird, especially when Emmy had called saying that Joey was throwing a fit because she wasn’t there to make breakfast. He had thought she moved out and didn’t tell him, but after explaining it to him, he did calm down enough to go to the babysitters that day.

When Jordan started getting too tired from work and Joey, Emmy started paying a babysitter to watch him. Most days, Jordan would pick him up with Jonathan and go back to the house. CT hadn’t gone to the babysitters because Emmy didn’t feel comfortable enough with how young he was. Eventually she found something that seemed to work for the both of them. And today CT was with Emmy at home and Joey was with Aunt Jordan. He had been a brat most of the day, but she somehow still managed to get the work done that she needed to do, but it wasn’t without the help of Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Patrick Sharp. They had been the ones to take him off her hands when he was acting up right after lunch. She was pretty sure that some of the other guys got in on the action, but when Joey was around Sharpie and Seabs, she wasn’t too worried.

But now the guys were playing a game against the St. Louis Blues. When she had first shown up at work, Jonathan had asked if she wanted to go out with some of the guys after the game. He told her it would be fun, but she didn’t see it. He told her that she wasn’t being a lot of fun and it took Joey’s presence for her not to hit him. In the past months, she and Jon hadn’t really been dating, but they were getting along, but last month that changed. Their whole relationship had changed and she had thought it was for the better. No surprise to her that he would piss her off over something stupid. Knowing she wasn’t going to go out and hang out with the guys at night when she was almost ready to pop, where was the sense in that? So all day after that, she had ignored him and his calls and text messages. She wasn’t going to deal with him when he wanted to act like a spoiled brat; she had enough to deal with without him adding to it.

Joey was asleep on the couch while she was walking back and forth, but the pain in her face was plain as day. She knew what was happening, but she wasn’t prepared for it. In a way she was, but in others she wasn’t. When she had done to the bathroom, her water broke and that’s when she realized she needed to get to the hospital, the only problem was Emmy was at him sleeping and Joey was on the couch and anyone that could possibly take her was in the middle of a hockey game. Taking a deep breath, she took out her phone and checked the time. There was only three minutes left in the game, which meant that one of the guys would have to hurry and shower and dress and take her to the hospital. Standing in the door way of the locker room and the player’s lounge, Jordan closed her eyes and held onto her stomach.

“Jordan?” she heard a voice. When she opened her eyes she met the concerned eyes of Patrick Sharp. “What’s going on?”

“My water broke,” she said. “I can’t drive myself.”

“What do you need from me?” Sharp asked her.

“Shower, get dressed and take me to the hospital, please.”

With a nod of his head, he moved as quickly as possible and undressed before heading to the showers while Jordan sat next to Joey’s sleeping figure. Within a matter of minutes Patrick was dressed and he walked into the room. “Let’s get going.”

“You need to carry him.” Jordan said looking down at her sleeping nephew who didn’t have a care in the world at the moment.

As they were walking out of the lounge some of the guys were walking in. “Where you two off to?” Brent asked.

“Hospital.”

“Are you alright?” Duncan Keith asked.

“My water broke, so I’m going to have the baby,” Jordan said grabbing her bag along with Joey’s. “Someone tell, Jon please.”

“We’ll come as soon as we can.” Brent told her, a smile on his face.

Jordan nodded her head as she followed Patrick to her car. “Do you need to call Emmy?”

Opening the back door, she watched as he placed Joey into his seat before moving out of the way so she could buckle him in properly. Next to his car seat, was the one for the baby that she had professionally put in, just like she had when CT was born. After making sure he was securely strapped in his seat, Jordan put his bag on the floor before closing the door and handed her car keys to Patrick. She got into her seat and took out her cell phone before calling Emmy to let her know that she was going to the hospital and that Patrick was driving her and all she needed to bring was CT and the baby bag that she had packed that was next to the crib in her room.

After filling out the forms and getting dressed into the hospital gown, Jordan was tired. It was going on ten thirty and she wanted to go to sleep in her own bed in her home. But while Sharpie was outside with Joey who had woken up, she had been checked to see if she had dilated any, she was two centimeters. That meant it was going to be tonight, that she had the baby, or in the early morning. If she was lucky she would have one of those quick births and that way she might actually get some sleep tonight. It had been a long day and the night had been even longer. When Patrick had come back in, she saw Joey was awake and he immediately tried to get into the bed with her, but Patrick looked unsure about it. Sitting up the best she could, she patted a spot where Joey could sit with her.

Time seemed to go by so slow for her. Emmy and CT arrived when she got to three centimeters. Duncan, Brent, and Ben had shown up an hour after that with no change. Soon after Adam showed up, alone. Wanting Jon to show up for the birth of his kid was something they had talked about. He said there was no place else he wanted to be, but obviously that wasn’t so.

“So how do you feel?” Brent asked, sitting in the chair with a sleeping Joey on his chest. Ben had CT sleeping in his arms. “You want anything?”

“I want the baby out.” Jordan said as she slowly sat up and Patrick was at her side in a matter of seconds.

“Bathroom or another walk?” he asked her as she started squeezing his hand.

“Bathroom,” Jordan sighed as the contraction passed. “And then send someone to find that ass wipe.”

“What ass wipe?”

There in the door way was Jon and so was Adam. He had disappeared an hour ago. Now she knew why. These boys were looking out for her and knew how she wanted him to be here for this, but he also should have wanted to be here. Glaring at him she walked with Patrick to the bathroom. When she came back out, Emmy was there to help her back into the bed. It was late or early in the morning depending n how you wanted to look at it. It was almost two in the morning and she didn’t know why so many of the guys were sticking around, but it felt nice to have them there.

“Jordan, I think you need to try walking down the hall again,” Emmy told her. “The nurse said it was helping.”

“Not much,” Jordan glared as she sat on the edge of the bed. “I’m tired and I want to go home.”

“I’ll walk with you Jordan.” Jon spoke up.

“You?” Jordan questioned him. “It’s taken you this long to even show up, how do I know you would have been here to see your kid born if Adam hadn’t left when the nurse was checking to see how far I was? Were you even planning on coming Jonathan? Or was having drinks and acting like a child more important?”

“Come on Jordan,” Jon started. “I think that we need to talk. So let’s take a walk and then you can bitch at me some more.”

“I’m not going anywhere with you when I’m having trouble believing anything you say.”

“Please.”

“Just because you say a nice word doesn’t mean anything right now,” Jordan glared. “I’ve trusted you with my heart on so many occasions and I don’t think I should have. Sharp, Seabs, and Burish have come around more than you did. Actions sometimes speak louder than words.”

Emmy looked at Jon’s defeated look and then to her sister-in-law. “Jordan, either you walk with him or he starts talking in here. Either way, the two of you are gonna have a talk before that baby gets here. I don’t care if I have to get these guys to hold you down to make you listen. Trust me, listen to what he has to say before you make any decisions.”

“Fine,” Jordan sighed as the nurse came into the room. “Time to check again?”

With a nod of her head, Jordan looked over to Patrick for some help. He looked at Jon before making his way over to Jordan and helped her back into the bed. “Alright boys, leave.”

“Jordan-“

“She’s going to be checking me,” Jordan rolled her eyes. “It isn’t as if I can get up and leave right now.”

Emmy was the only one to stay in the room with her as this happened. “You are getting there. Which is good. You are at eight now, so it shouldn’t be too much longer. Were you planning on having the epidural?”

“She wants to go on one more walk before she gets it.” Emmy said.

“Since I won’t be able to afterwards.” Jordan laughed.

“Keep up the good spirits, but try and get some rest too. I’ll be back in about half an hour to an hour to check on you again. The walk should do you some good and someone will come down and give you the epidural soon.”

Sitting up again, Jordan tied the robe that the hospital supplied her so that she could go on her walk. Emmy placed her black fuzzy slippers on her feet before helping her off the bed and to the door. The guys were still gathered outside. “Alright, dude, go at her pace and when she needs to stop, then you had better stop.”

Jon nodded his head as Jordan started walking down the hallway. It was easy enough to catch up with her. “How are you feeling?”

“I have a baby that wants out, how do you think I feel?”

“I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Jordan asked. “Cause there are so many things that you should apologize for.”

“Getting you into this situation and for not coming sooner.”

“Where were you?”

“At the bar,” Jon stopped walking when she did. “But I wasn’t drinking. I was just nervous. Too nervous to show up until Adam came and yelled at me.”

“Why are you so nervous?” Jordan asked. “You aren’t the one pushing the kid out of your body.”

“But you never know what could happen.”

“That’s why we went to those classes, so you could learn. I’ve been through this with Emmy. Just not on this side of it.”

“And you aren’t in the least bit scared?”

“I’m terrified, but we made the mistake and now this is the consequence of our actions.”

“I’m not sure if I’m gonna make a good dad.”

“You won’t know until the baby gets here. And you are fine with Joey and CT.”

“But they listen to you more,” Jonathan said. “I don’t want to make a mistake.”

“That’s life, it’s full of mistakes.”

“Not with our baby.”

“Mistakes are going to happen, even if you don’t want them to. And get ready because soon you will have to face it. And I want us to face it together.”

“I don’t think I can.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Dun dun dun.....LOL. I so did not plan for it to go this way. But this little birdie kept putting ideas in my head. You know who you are. So yeah. Let me know what you think!!!