Sequel: Forever Connected
Status: Finished!

Why Should You Care Now?

Chapter 2

The first two months of her job, Jordan actually dreaded going, but now that her sister-in-law’s due date was coming up she had more important things to worry about. Although they had a plan for what would happen when Elizabeth did go into labor, she feared she wouldn’t be ready for it. No, she knew that she wasn’t. It was supposed to be her brother in the delivery room with his wife while she gave birth to their second child, while she watched her nephew. But that wasn’t going to happen. She was taking her brother’s place and her sister-in-law’s mother was coming down to watch Joey.

Wearing a pair of black sweats and a white shirt with white tennis shoes on, Jordan made it to her office which was smaller than the one near the locker rooms. She didn’t mind though. She just needed a few minutes to herself before going in that direction to see what needed to be done. Grabbing the mail off her desk, she sat in her chair as she rifled through it, most of it was junk so she held onto it as she made her way down to her other office.

Once she walked inside, she set her bag down and looked up as she heard a knock on the door. Seeing Adam Burish, she gave him a smile. “Hey, Adam.”

“Hey, Jordan,” Adam said before he felt something hit his back and he put his hand on the back of his shirt and brought it back to his face. Turning around he saw Patrick Kane with a smirk on his face and a water balloon in his left hand. “Kaner, you are dead.”

And before he could tell her what he needed, he was off chasing the young hockey player. The water balloon bounced off Adam’s head this time and rolled to her feet. Picking up the balloon she tossed it into the trash bin before opening her mail up. “Jordan?”

Looking up she saw Patrick Sharp in her doorway. “What’s up?”

“There’s a woman here to see you,” he told her. “Burish was supposed to tell you, but he’s off chasing Kaner.”

“Don’t worry about it,” she smiled. “You are up first though. So get ready and I’ll go see what is going on.”

“I thought Burish was first,” he said as she got up on the table. “Or do you just not wanting to wait around as he tries to get Kaner back for the water balloon?”

“You got me,” Jordan told him. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

As she was heading down the hallway to find out who was here to see her, she heard the distinct voice of Joey yelling her name followed by his feet running towards her. Bending down in time, she scooped him up into her arms and walked to where her sister-in-law Emmy was standing with his bag. “What’s going on?”

“The daycare is closed today and I couldn’t find a sitter and I just can’t take him to another appointment, he touches everything,” Emmy told her. “And eventually he breaks everything.”

“Sounds like someone we both know.”

“Jordan, please can you take him until I get back from my appointment?” Emmy asked, with pleading eyes. “Please.”

“Sure, not a problem,” Jordan smiled at her. “I’m sure some of the guys can look after him and take him on the ice or something.”

“You are an angel,” Emmy told her as she handed the bag to her with a look of relief on her face. “I owe you another one.”

“Just go to your appointment and let me know what’s happening with that one.”

“Will do,” Emmy told her. “Bye Joey, have fun with Auntie Jordan and her friends, okay?”

“Okay,” Joey said. “Has funs with da baby doctors.”

Waving as his mom disappeared, Jordan started walking towards her office, thinking about what she could do with Joey while she was at work, that wouldn’t allow him to get into trouble as well as her. As she walked past the locker room, she heard her name being called. Turning around she saw Brent Seabrook in a pair of sweats and nothing else coming out. “Burish needs your magic hands. His calf again while stretching it after chasing Kaner.”

“Can he make it to the office?” Jordan asked.

“Not without help.”

“Well, you and someone else help him and I’ll call Mitchell,” she said. “And make sure he has clothes on, there is a vistor today.”

Walking back to her office, she walked in and saw Sharpie on his cell phone. “Your buddy pulled something, so someone is helping him here.”

“So you want me to wait?” he asked getting off the table.

“I actually need a favor from you, Patrick.”

He looked at her and noticed the kid on her hip. Patrick Sharp this is Joey Taylor, my nephew. Joey this is Patrick Sharp,” Joey clung onto her as she started walking. “I need you to watch Joey so I can work on Burish.”

“Jordan!” she heard Seabrook yell.

“Please.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After finishing things up, she got the call she wasn’t expecting. Her new nephew was on his way. With a smile on her face she knocked on the door to the locker room. “We’re decent!” came the reply from one of the guys. Hesitantly she walked into the room and looked around.

“Where is Sharp?”

“In there with Burish, Tazer, Kaner, and Seabs,” Ben Eager told her with a smile on his face. “He’s adorable, ya know?”

“Try getting him to go to bed or eat his dinner,” she smiled. “He looks so much like his daddy; I just hope he can adjust to the new baby coming.”

“You’re pregnant?” Kris Versteeg asked from next to Ben Eager.

“No, I’m not,” Jordan said. “My brother’s wife is having another baby. Thanks Ben.”

Walking into the players lounge, she saw Joey sitting in-between Brent Seabrook and Patrick Sharp. Looking to see what the guys were watching, she saw it was an episode of Thomas the Train and Friends. “Joey.”

Joey’s eyes broke away from the television to his aunt. He scrambled off the couch and ran towards her. “We watchin Thomas again. Da one where deres a ghost.”

“Again?” Jordan asked.

“What do you mean again?” Patrick Kane asked. “He said he hasn’t seen that one yet.”

“I not see it here. I saws it yesterday at home.”

“You are lucky if this is your first time watching it,” Jordan said as she lifted Joey up. “How many times did we watch this yesterday?”

“Seven. Den mommy cames home and I watched with her.”

“Are you ready to go home?” Jordan asked, kissing the side of Joey’s head. “Grandma should be at the house when we get there.”

“Grandma not coming till da baby is coming.”

“I know, buddy, but she’s having the baby today, so you and Grandma are gonna hang out and maybe later on you can come and see the new baby,” Jordan smiled at him. “So where is your bag, we need to get going so we can feed the dog and so Grandma doesn’t have to stay in her car too long.”

“Okays.” Joey told her as he went to get his bag.

She watched as Patrick Kane ejected the DVD and placed it back into the case and tossed it to Seabrook who handed it to Patrick Sharp who got up and handed it to her. “Thanks. For watching him and everything.”

“It was fun once he opened up,” Patrick told her. “He’s a good kid.”

“Joey is ready now Auntie Jordan.”

“Did Joey tell everyone thank you?”

“Do I has to?”

“Yes.” Jordan said giving him a pointed look.

Walking to Patrick Sharp he lifted his arms up and Patrick lifted him up and Joey gave him a hug. After being set back down, Joey went around the room hugging them all. When he got to Jonathan Toews, Jordan went a little stiff but it was fine. When Joey walked back over to her he raised his arms signaling to her that he wanted to be picked up.

“You’ve got two legs buddy; you can walk like a big boy.”

Hearing a snort she looked at Jonathan who rolled his eyes at her. “Why don’t you go say bye to Ben, the really big guy, okay?”

“He da nice ones.”

Looking at Adam, he got up and followed Joey into the locker room.

“You have something you want to say to me?” she asked, walking up to Jon.

“Nothing at all.”

“Then what was with your snort?” she asked. “Or even your eye roll?”

“You are just a lot lazier than what people think you are, you can’t even carry him?”

“I’m lazy?” Jordan laughed. “Give me a break! His mother and I don’t carry him unless its necessary, since the new baby will be here shortly and we need him to be the big brother and not a jealous little brat like you.”

“Jealous little brat?” Jon questioned her.

“Did I stutter?” Jordan shot back.

“What is your problem?”

“You think you are so high and mighty and that gives you the right to judge someone else’s ways of doing things? Well let me tell you something, you are wrong!” Jordan said, raising her voice slightly. “My sister-in-law and I are on our own until my brother comes back from his tour, so don’t you dare judge me or the way I do things. You have no idea how hard things get without him here, so get off your high horse and just back off and don’t stick your unwanted advice into my life.”

Jonathan watched her back as she left with Joey, holding his hand, but not carrying him. He looked over at the guys in the room. “You could have stopped her rant, ya know?”

“No, we couldn’t.” Sharpie told him.

“Why the hell not?”

“Ever since you and Andy got together, you’ve put yourself on this pedestal and you haven’t climbed down since you broke up. Jordan is right, you can’t judge the way she and her family does things,” he said standing up. “They do what’s right for their family. Everyone raises kids differently. You better apologize to her before things get worse between the two of you.”

Three days passed and Jordan hadn’t been to work since she bitched out Jonathan Toews in the players lounge area. She was embarrassed that it had happened, but she wouldn’t take it back. She had missed the last three days of work, when Emmy had got an infection, so she just stayed home for a few days to help since Emmy’s mother had left after the baby was born. So it was just Emmy, Jordan, Joey and now the newest member of their family. Named after his father, Corbin Daniel Taylor junior.

The doorbell ringing woke Jordan from her nap, on the couch with CT as she now called the baby. Grabbing the blanket, she covered him up and went to the door. Looking through the peep hole she was surprised to see some of the Blackhawks on her porch. Opening the door, she looked at them confused. “What are you guys doing here?”

“You haven’t been to work and we wanted to make sure you hadn’t quit.” Ben Eager said.

“Come inside,” Jordan said allowing the four hockey players in the house. “Keep your voices down, everyone is sleeping.”

“Where’s the baby?” Seabrook asked, looking at the empty bassinet that was in the room near the couch. “I thought there was a baby in the house.”

With a smile, Jordan took the blanket off of CT and walked over to the bassinet and placed him in it before covering him up with the blanket.

“We wanted to talk to you about Tazer.” Sharpie told her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think!