Sequel: Mind Games

Animal I Have Become

What's Wrong With Listening To Damon For Once?

[Edward's POV]

Walking down the street of Paris on a Wednesday chilly night, I stared at the ground and listened to the thoughts of everyone around.

There are far more humans in Paris than there were in Forks. The urge to give into my animal instincts rose with each passing second. I have not drank since I set out on my journey to get the vervain.

Halting in front of a red-bricked building, I looked up at the sign of the hotel my family is staying in: Hilton Hotel.

I felt myself smiling, though it was not really the time to do so.

It is typical of Alice to pick this hotel out of the other hotels located in the vicinity.

I walked into the building and made my way towards the counter. The lady at the counter looked up to me and the reaction she gave was like any other human would: she became breathless.

"Bonsoir," I spoke softly and I could hear her heartbeat accelerate. "I just arrived in Paris a couple of hours ago but I have not reserved a room for myself. Is it possible for you to get me one?"

She blinked rapidly before clearing her throat and started searching for a room that is available.

Do not look at him, she was scolding herself and my lips twitched upwards a little.

"I - I'm sorry, sir but most of ze room are booked," her thick accent stuttered a little but she was successful in not looking into my eye.

"I'm sure there's a room that is available?" I leaned forward towards her and gave her a smile.

It made her flinch a little before she started typing on her computer again.

"There's a room but it vould be really expensive -"

"I do not mind the expenses," I interrupted and smiled again.

I thanked her once everything was settled and I made my way towards the elevator to head over to my suite to put my suitcase before heading to Carlisle's room.

"What took you so long?" Alice jumped on me before I had the chance to clicked on the doorbell.

"I came here as soon as I got the note, Alice," I returned the hug. "But you should've called."

Alice frowned and shook her head in disapproval.

Edward, you and I know that when you're out on an important mission, you'll have your phone switched off, she thought and I nodded my head.

"Point made," I walked into the room and gave each one of my family members a hug.

When I saw Stefan sitting on the couch with Elena, I extended my arms for us to shake hands.

"Alice called us in as soon as she saw you stepped your foot on Paris," Emmett's eyes was partially shut - as though he had just woken up from a deep sleep.

"Which brings us to the point," I said and looked at everyone. "Why are we here and what does Paris have to do with Nessie?"

"The problem is Damon haven't really told us anything," Alice started and I stared at her in disbelief.

"All of you came out to Paris because Damon told you to?" I balled my fists but managed to keep breathing.

The sound of the flushing of the toilet could be heard and everyone's head spun to look at the bathroom door that creaked open.

"Now what could be wrong with listening to Damon for once?" Damon Salvatore came out of the bathroom as he wiped his hands with a small towel before tossing it to the side.

He had the nerve to give me a smile after all the troubles he has caused.

"What is he doing here?" I hissed, not taking my eyes off the irksome figure.

As hard as I try to get angry, I felt calmness wash all over me. I turned to look at Jasper who was standing in the corner of the room - away from Elena.

You need to calm down, Edward, he thought with his golden brown eyes on me.

"Not when he is in the room," I pointed to the dark-clothed vampire.

A moment after that, I felt dizziness swept over and I stumbled a little and a pair of hands got a hold of me. I looked up to see Carlisle by my side as he scrutinized my eyes.

"How long has it been since you fed?" my father questioned and a small chuckle could be heard from Damon's direction.

I did not bother losing my energy on the animal so I shook my head in protest.

"I'm fine," I lied and tried pushing myself away from my father.

He didn't let go. Instead, he pulled me towards the velvet brown couch and made me sit. He took a seat on the table in front of me and stared deep into my eyes.

"Emmett and Rosalie, I want you to go out to hunt an animal for your brother," Carlisle instructed, looking over his shoulders.

Rosalie and Emmett nodded their heads before running out of the room with such speed.

"I said I'm fine."

I am not going to just sit here and not give the vervain to my daughter.

"No, you're not Edward," Carlisle answered in his fatherly tone. "If I know you as well as I think I do, you've not hunt since you went over to England."

"What is he doing in England for?" I felt Damon straightened his posture a little.

"That's none of your business, Damon," Stefan replied earning a scornful look from his elder brother.

Damon raised both his hands up to surrender - his arrogant face still on. He walked over and sat next to Elena. Surprisingly, Elena didn't squirmed in her seat.

Everyone else started to discuss on Nessie's situation - though we don't really know the full story until Damon speaks up.

"I can see Demetri and Jane coming but they're not here for Nessie," Alice was already trying to predict the future with the situation.

I wasn't really listening to Alice. Instead, I was watching everyone's body language - mostly, I was looking at how comfortable Elena is with Damon. For half a second, I saw her eyes look over at her husband's brother before wrapping her arms around Stefan's built body. My eyes moved over to Damon's who was eyeing on his brother with such menance.

That was when his eyes darted towards me and his smile was back on.

"- I can't really see what they're here for but believe me when I say that they are probably here for something really important."

I know you can hear me Eddy, Damon thought and I glared. But you should really stop focusing on me because I'm not your enemy.

"Why should I believe you?" I thought out loud, this time, my eyes were on the ground.

"Because I can see the future?" Alice responded as though it was a question to me.

I looked up at her with wide eyes to see her frowning over at me.

What do you mean you don't believe me, Edward? my sister's thoughts was full of pain.

Nice move, Damon's voice filled my head.

"My question was to Damon," I glared at Damon for a second before walking up to my pixie-like sister. "You should know that I always believed in you. No questions asked."

I gave her a small smile, hoping that she wouldn't take it to heart and really believe what I just told her. Slowly, she nodded her head and returned me a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sooooooooooooooo sorry I had this chapter up so late! I didn't mean to, I promise!

Anyway, I am really enjoying the latest episodes of Vampire Diaries.

Comments are REALLY appreciated.