Sequel: Mind Games

Animal I Have Become

It Only Takes A Moment

[Nessie's POV]

The void I had been feeling inside my heart was filled with happiness when I saw Damon come to my rescue. It felt so good to see that he was alive after all.

"Damon," I couldn't stop smiling, despite the fights going on around us. "I thought you were dead."

For a split second, he rolled his eyes and gave me another one of his smirks.

"So I heard," he huffed. "So you missed me?"

More than you know, I thought but pushed the thoughts away.

I followed his gaze, saw the fight and we both were smiling. It was funny the way that we actually thought alike.

This fight was stupid. Where is Aro? Why are they fighting for a leader who doesn't care for them?

I wanted to walk over to Damon and give him a hug but the smile left my face when I saw Alec - who somehow came back from the dead after Damon staked him - standing an inch away from Damon.

"Damon!" I screamed, running towards him.

Wrong move.

Damon turned and was about to run towards me but when he saw that it was I who was running towards him, he knew.

I'm pretty sure he knew what was going on.

"Oh Damon," Alec whispered in a menancing way.

"No!" I screamed louder when the dreadful thing I feared for was happening right before my eyes.

Damon turned around and then without warning, Alec had put a stake through Damon's heart. Damon was as surprised as I was to see Alec.

Tears started to fill my eyes and my body is burned with rage. I stopped running and glared hard at Alec who was had a sinister smile on his face.

That smile - I must rip it off his face.

"See you soon, Nessie," he warned and before I could run after him, he was gone.

I wanted to run after him and rip his body to pieces but when I saw Damon fall to the ground, I knew I couldn't just leave him there.

I had to do something.

There has to be something that could help him.

I ran towards Damon and my knees went down to the ground and I slowly but gently lifted his head and made it rest on my lap.

"No no no," I was muttering to myself, wishing I'd wake up from this stupid dream.

"Why the hell are you crying?" Damon croaked and somehow frowned when he look up at me. "I'm going to be okay."

I lifted my hand away from his chest and saw the blood still gushing out of the wound.

Inside Damon's head, I could see that he knew he was lying to himself.

"Liar," I wept and turned my head away.

"Hey you stupid hybrid," he hissed and that somehow made me look down at him in the eye. "What did I tell you about crying for me?"

"You didn't," I shook my head.

"Well, don't," he looked away but I could see that he was feeling something he swore to never feel again. "You look stupid crying."

"No," I shook my head, tears still rolling down my cheeks.

"I'm dying here," he joked and I glared down at him. "The least you could do is let me leave with a silent surrounding.

"You're the only one making stupid noises."

He was right.

There wasn't any fight going on around us - at least not in this room.

I looked away for a second and saw some of my family members standing a few feet away from me with a grim look on their face. Jake had a certain look on his face before he turned around and joined in the fight going on outside the room.

I turned back to look at Damon and saw that he was becoming more paler than he had been three minutes ago. He shut his eyes but before I could freak out, he slowly opened his eyes and looked into mine.

I could feel my denim jeans draining his sweat from his head.

"You're not going to die," I said with confidence. "I'm not going to let you die."

He choked out a small laugh but ended up coughing hard.

"Don't you know you shouldn't make empty promises to someone on his deathbed?" and I glared at him again and he gave one of his smile without making any effort.

"You already died once," I pointed it out stubbornly. He shut his eyes and grinned.

"Why?" I found myself asking and he looked up at me breathing through his mouth.

"That's a," he shifted and inhaled sharply. "Vague question."

"Why did you come for me? You could've just saved yourself," I ignored his sarcasm and wiped my tears away though it was no use.

I was about to see another one of his thoughts but before I could, it was shut out. Somehow, Damon has managed to block me from reading his mind.

Instead, he moved and took my hand in his, not taking his eyes off mine. He gently squeezed my hand. It only took a moment to realize why he came back for me.

I cried even harder.

It was my fault. This is all my fault.

I felt him squeeze my hand even tighter before his grip loosened. I opened my eyes to look into his lifeless one.

"I love you," I whispered silently into his ears, kissed his lips and then broke down.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nikki, X.Demetri.X, Musicluver90001, Star.Bright, vgr74, Heaven Help Us, VampLover15e... Thank you for your lovely comments.

One more chapter to go before the closing of this story.