Futuresex / Red Dragon / The Judgement

六

It was that time of the month again. I made sure to doubly concentrate before we proceed on the long journey to numerous houses. There would always be time to get distracted later.

The agenda was for our squad to transport Jiang Shis, literal corpses. For a precaution, we had to re-check that there was no Undead among them. In the olden days, one failed to do so and invented ‘demons’ to get away for his incompetence. His white lie created an uproar and a deeply imprinted superstition. Naturally, he became an infamous legend.

To honour them, none of them were returned stark naked. They were at least dressed decently, those who actually cared specially payed for them to be adorned with fancier clothes, one was even dressed as a bride. Yet I could not see the point in living out your fantasies when you were already dead.

We moved on. They were strung together by long bamboos, some in charge of hoisting them forwards, others on patrol duty for civillians while the Shifu chanted his mantras. What most mislooked was that the mantra was in truth, mainly instructions for us disciples.

The weather was thankfully fine, the full moon white and providing us with just sufficient light. I could instantly spot a familiar-looking man taking a leak behind a bush and gasped when he saw us.

“ Use indoors toilet, sir,” I called out.

“ Oh, no worries, son,” He said in an accented voice, albeit shaky. “ I just came to check out the scenes.”

I shrugged and directed my torch at another area. I wonder if he came to Liken specially to see us in action and somehow it made me feel like a celebrity. For one, the paparazzi took them going to the bathroom as some kind of ceremony and I heard their chewed gum was worth a million online.

It was somewhat ironic, for mundane people to set them as targets for their ideal life, when these ideals managed to make a breakthrough merely through mundane doings. Entertaining, jobs, careers. Putting it that way gave lazybums pratically an equal chance at success.

“ …3…4…stop!” Shifu ordered.

Everyone stood at attention, waiting patiently as he alerted the corpse’s family members in this life. After preparations were made, the Shixiongs unlatched it and hefted it in together.

The dragon affects.

When I was a younger boy, I assumed that he who was crowned ‘red dragon’ was due to his strength as number one, an all-rounder. Realistically speaking, I did not bother to chase the title then, unlike several others who had family and hoped it would magically restore the severed ties.

I always thought the Red Dragon was a sort of complete exorcist. Even during public duty, I had never felt close to what I assumed he was supposed to feel, all the wholesomeness and assurance.

Maybe it was insecurity. Sometimes I would stare at the mirror and randomly, felt that I had taken something away from my reflection. Of course it was stupid, thinking that you stole from yourself.

Maybe it was disatisfaction. It could be that apprentices and even Shifus, did not deserve the privellge to promote our clan’s lexicon. All they were worth of was practicing them, was the rest not supposed to be the work of the Red Dragon?

I could not remember exactly why, but this sentiment was not rehearsed for a long time, until now. I, whose life seldom opened to selfish posibilites, was struck with inspiration.

It was not just strength he had, for not all Dao Zhangs became Red Dragon. There could only be one.

It was not just skill he had, for there were many others who could awe as much as he could.

It could be just with the affecting power, to affect other egos simply by using his sense of self. Not with his power, not with his memory, not with any holy aidings. Just the pure distillation of himself.

The next thing I knew, we were at our last stop and Shifu decided to give us a break before heading home. I leaned against the pillar of the sidewalk open restaurant we were dining in, when out of the blue I realized that Ezra was supervising us all along.

No wonder we wrapped up fast.

“ You look like you’re in dire need for bitchslapping,” She commented, standing near me.

“ No thank you,” I kindly rejected the offer. “ It’s nothing major, I apologize for a poor peformance.”

“ You can make up for it if it hurts your ego that much,” She suggested. “ I always thought you were in more favor of whipping than in stroking. Fighter, not a lover, I reckon.”

“ The stereotypical routine of growing up,” I reasoned. She did not imply weird S&M.

“ Oh,” She nodded. “ Want to be promoted from PMS and rise above?”

“ Not particularly,” I replied in all honesty, it was too soon for contradiction.

“ Then how about to finally do something productive I can put on your file?” She prompted.

Somehow I minded to be marked off as useless. “ Thank you for the opportunity, ma’m,” I agreed formally.

“ You mean Ezra, that made me sound like a general in the most wrinkles and warts way possible,” She corrected, a long-winded way of discouraging me to associate her in that manner.

She took off her black heels and I noted how impractical they were for combat. She swooped them up and threw them to me. At a closer look, the soles were in poor condition, most likely from the friction over many years.

Could Sora No Kage really pull of anything? After all, she was in the battle division.

“ Use that,” She pointed at them. “ And show me that you could show some action.”