Status: Done!

Need You Now

Need You Now

Katla Jacobs sat on her bedroom floor, three years of memories scattered around her. The colorful photographs smiled back at her, all of them reflecting the face of one man. Jimmy Sullivan, the former love of her life. Katla tried not to smile or cry as she picked up a picture with her small and dainty fingers.

Her favorite picture of Jimmy; his black hair fell away from his face, his pouty lips pulled back from his straight teeth in a smile that Katla could say was all hers. Jimmy’s face was void of the make-up he wore as his band front, and his tattooed chest was bare with the exception of his dog tag. Katla had taken the picture after they’d made love, as she straddled his waist.

Katla’s throat clamped, trying to suppress the tears bound to come. She’d thrown Jimmy out two weeks ago, after he’d been wasted for the 2nd month in a row, only this day was their 3rd-year anniversary.

-X-

“Jimmy, get out right now!” Katla cried, pointing to the door as a drunk Jimmy leaned against the wall, smirking at her.

“Come on, baby, you said that last night, too. Or was it the day before that?” Jimmy giggled, putting a finger to his lips in confusion.

“Jimmy, do you have any idea what today is?” Katla asked, as calmly as she could manage.

“Um, Christmas?” Jimmy giggled again.

“You need to leave,” Katla said, opening the door for him.

“Fine,” Jimmy scoffed.

“Don’t expect a call from me,” she said.

“Well I ain’t calling you neither,” Jimmy slurred.

The door shut on his face.


-X-

Katla threw the picture down, causing others to fly away. She stood up, storming to her bed, falling on to it. Looking at her bedside table, Katla spotted her phone. She didn’t think when she reached for it, taking it firmly in her hand.

I wonder if he ever thinks of me, Katla thought, because I think about him all the time.

Katla looked to her clock, the red numbers displaying quarter after one in the morning. She felt so alone.

I said I wouldn’t call, Katla thought, but I need him. I’m starting to lose control, and I need him. That’s all I know, I need Jimmy.

-X-

Jimmy Sullivan sat at the kitchen table, staring at the door. He slowly raised the whiskey bottle to his mouth, tipping it back. He’d long since given up the shot glass.

Katla used to come in that door almost every day. And every day since she’d kicked him out of her house, he’d sat there waiting for her.

-X-

Jimmy awoke the next morning, his heard hurting as if someone had hit him over the head with a 2x4. He climbed out of bed, shuffling in to the bathroom. As Jimmy stood at the toilet, relieving himself of the alcohol he’d consumed the night before, realization struck him.

“Fuck!” he yelled, remembering what had happened at Katla’s the night before.

Running back in to the room, he grabbed the phone in his shaking hands, dialing Katla’s number. But in mid-dial Jimmy stopped. He’d told her he wouldn’t call, and knowing Kat, she wouldn’t pick up if she saw his number anyway. So Jimmy put the phone down, sitting on the edge of the bed, and placed his head in his hands.

“Fuck,” he muttered.


-X-

Jimmy had known since their first date that he was in love with Kat. She had denied him for so long, and after he’d finally convinced her to go on a date, she turned out to be what he’d least expected; a good girl. She was almost squeaky clean. Jimmy hadn’t succeeded in kissing her anywhere but her cheek until the third date. He’d been the one to take her virginity, and that, too, had taken two months of dedication. But she’d captured his heart on that very first date.

Jimmy’s friends had told him he was going soft, that no girl was as perfect as he’d explained her. They’d all changed their minds the first day they let her hang out with them. She could play video games just as good as any of them could, and sometimes was better at comebacks than Brian was; and Brian was damn good at bickering.

Jimmy’s gaze finally left the door; only to land on the phone. He crossed the distance to it quickly, taking it back to the table with him.

I wonder if she ever thinks of me, Jimmy thought, because I think about her all the time.

The phone’s clock read quarter after one in the morning.

I’m too drunk to be thinking about this shit, Jimmy thought. I said I wouldn’t call, but I need her, I’m starting to lose control, and I need her. That’s all I know, I need Katla.

Jimmy wanted so badly to dial those seven numbers. Then, suddenly, a new thought occurred to him.

I don’t need to call.

-X-

Katla tried busying herself. First, she picked up all the photos from the floor, then she took a relaxing bath, taking care of all the feminine things she’d pushed away for the past two weeks.

Keeping her hair tied up, Katla climbed in to the bubble bath, and proceeded cleaning herself, and shaving all the necessary areas. Her hair was still clean from the quick morning shower so she left it, besides, bath water made her hair feel dirtier.

Katla wrapped herself in her silky, black robe; the one Jimmy had gotten her for their one-month anniversary after he’d seen Kat admiring it. She couldn’t afford it. Taking out her hair, Katla passed her brush through the tangled, dark brown locks. Rain spattered against the window, lightning flashing. Kat never liked storms, but she’d always had Jimmy there to hold her and distract her from them.

A knock sounded at the front door. Frowning, Katla pulled the thin robe around her tightly, slowly making her way to the door. Her heart leapt in her chest when she opened it to find a soaking wet Jimmy.

“I thought you might need company through the storm.” Jimmy smiled hopefully.

“You said you wouldn’t call.” Kat said quietly.

“I didn’t.” Jimmy breathed deeply.

He’d run from the corner of the street. Jimmy had taken a taxi, but told it to stop at the end of the street, not wanting Kat to hear him coming, giving her time to raise her defenses.

“Jimmy, no.” Katla tried to close the door, but Jimmy stopped her.

“Kat, listen, I don’t know why I drank so much, and I’m so sorry for missing our anniversary, I realized tonight as I was drinking, that I don’t need it. All I need is you. I want to get sober. I’d rather hurt, getting better, than feel nothing, without you. I need you. Oh, baby, I need you now.”

Jimmy’s lips attached themselves to Kat’s. Kat didn’t fight it, she didn’t want to. Jimmy walked through the doorway, shutting the door behind him as he picked up Katla’s small body and held her between the wall and his tall, wet body. Katla’s legs wrapped around Jimmy’s waist, not caring about the wet and the cold.

Jimmy’s lips placed searing kisses down the length of Katla’s neck as Katla tried desperately to remove Jimmy’s clinging, wet clothing. Jimmy nipped lightly just above Katla’s collar bone and a soft whimper emitted from her throat.

Finally Katla succeeded in pulling Jimmy’s wet t-shirt over his head. Jimmy barely disconnected his mouth from Kat’s body long enough for her to get it over his head. Jimmy, now having realized Kat wore nothing under her robe, took one of her delicate nipples lightly between his teeth, sucking and nibbling on it. One of Jimmy’s hands held Katla by her knee, while the other explored her womanhood.

“Jimmy, please.” Kat begged.

Jimmy simply chuckled, tearing at Kat’s breast more vigorously. He’d always loved teasing her, so why stop now. Katla’s shaking hands fumbled with the belt at Jimmy’s waist. If only she could get his pants off, she could stop this whole game of his. Kat’s robe began to slide off her shoulders, exposing the milky paleness of her skin.

Outside, the storm continued to worsen. But both were oblivious to the havoc weather, even Katla. Jimmy was the only one who could make her forget a storm.

Katla got Jimmy’s jeans undone, sliding them down to his knees by putting her feet in his back pockets, and pushing down. Jimmy groaned as Kat grinded her hips against his, causing Jimmy to forget about teasing her, something only Kat had ever been able to do.

Jimmy almost tripped, having forgotten about his jeans still around his knees. Kat slipped out of his grasp, leaving him at the doorway, fumbling with his shoes, then jeans as she walked in to the bedroom. Kat stood on her knees on the edge of the bed, waiting humorously for Jimmy to hurry in to the bedroom, now only in his boxers.

Jimmy rushed to Kat, taking her in his arms once again and throwing her on the bed underneath him. Katla’s legs were back around Jimmy’s waist and Jimmy’s lips back on hers. Kat used her feet to remove Jimmy’s boxers, only this time she could get them all the way off.

With one slow motion Jimmy buried himself deep inside Katla. Kat gasped, digging in to Jimmy’s back as Jimmy groaned against Kat’s neck, his fingers gripping the sheets. Nothing had ever felt better to him than when he was making love to his Katla.

Once the throes of their passion were complete, Jimmy held Katla to his chest tightly, but not enough to hurt her. They smiled in to each other’s eyes, stealing soft kisses every few minutes. Kat kissed Jimmy’s chest, laying her head on his shoulder.

She sighed, saying, “I need you, too.”

R.I.P. The Reverend Tholomew Plague