Status: Thank you for reading!

The Beginning of the End

Prologue

I checked myself out in the mirror. I'm a girl, it's okay. I looked at every nook and cranny possible before I was satisfied with the way I looked.

After I tied my shoelaces, I grabbed my keys and cellphone. I had to do do that in that specific order. I think I was starting to develop a slight case of OCD or something. Putting the keys and cellphone away into my jean pockets, I closed my bedroom door and began walking to the front door.

"Lillian! Get over here! We need to talk!" I heard mom say. As soon as she said "Get over here!" I thought of Mortal Kombat and Scorpion right away. I laughed at myself as I walked into the room where I guessed she was. I poked my head inside. Yep, I was right!

I stepped into the room and leaned against the wall. "What's up mom?"

She jumped and turned her head to look at me. She didn't say anything for a few seconds. It was weird. Then, her head tilted downwards.

"I don't know how to say this...I decided we're moving away from here...Today."

The happiness and good mood I felt burned away in less than a second. My hands balled into fists. "What! Why the fuck are we moving?! You said you wanted me to get into a good high school! What the hell!"

I could barely look at her anymore. I made the smart decision to get the hell out of the house before I cursed again and disrespected her. I walked out the house and slammed that stupid door was hard I felt the vibrations spread out through the concrete.

It'd be different if she told me we were moving in a week or something. I'd still be angry, but I could deal with that at least. How could she tell me we were moving on the day we were supposed to leave! That's so damned selfish and messed up.

Before I pressed the buzzer at Erik's house, the door swung open. He looekd at with sad gray eyes. I didn't know how he knew so quickly, but I sure knew my eyes were brimming with the tears I attempted to fight back. As soon as he hugged me, I cried like no other.

When I stopped crying, he walked us over to the huge tree swaying lazily in his lawn. It was there since he was born and I could remember when he parents tried to cut it down years ago. His mom would reiterate time after time of when he ran out the house towards his tree buck naked at the age of tree screaming, "No! My twee! Erik twee!"

I smiled at the thought as we sat down on the grass. He didn't say a word and I couldn't either. I wanted to say something, but I knew if I opened my mouth, no coherent words would usher out.

"So you're leaving huh?" he finally asked in a hushed tone.

Oh thank god. His voice was steady when he asked. Somehow that gave me whatever kind of weird strength to not cry and continue crying.

"I am," I sighed. "It isn't fair! I'm leaving by the end of today! She could've told me earlier so I could say goodbye."

"Lilly..." He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and squeezed a little. I shook my head, muttering nothing was fair. And it wasn't. Nothing in my life was ever fair. My dad left before I could remember whathe looked back, I was forced to move, and I wouldn't be able to see my best friend anymore. The one thing I truly enjoyed about my life was having Erik as a friend, but even he was taken away from me.

I wanted to pull my hand back when Erik took my left hand, opened it slowly, and placed his favorite guitar pick into my palm. It was a very deep blue, much like the color of the ocean. The thing I adored the most about the little piece of plastic was that it was in the shape of a heart.

"What's this?" I questioned anyways.

"Just read the back." That was hi only answer.

I looked at him strangely before flipping the little thing of plastic over. There was an engraving in it that was difficult to read. I wondered how that happened without the pick breaking. My bad vision didn't help me decipher the words at all.

After my eyes adjusted to the writing, I read it out loud. "Lilly & Erik. BFFL."

Damn it Erik! The tears blurred my vision all over again and I cried on his shoulder. The whole time he rubbed my back and told me things were going to work out fine and that we would be able to see each other again. I was beginning to believe him, I really did until my phone notified the both of us that someone was calling. I sighed and looked at the caller ID. Mom.

I flipped it open and stuck it against my ear with trembling hands. "H-hello?"

"We have to go," was all she told me. There was sadness in her voice. That told me she didn't want to leave. But then, why did she allow for us to live somewhere else?

I hung up and looked back at Erik. His pleading eyes made it so much worse.

I unclasped my silver heart necklace and put it into his hand.

"Why are you giving this to me?" he asked.

"Because I love you and I don't want you to forget me."

"I won't silly. But this is your favorite one."

"I know, but take it anyways."

We shared one last goodbye before I started walking back home. Every step felt like a stake to the heart. Goodbyes were only supposed to hurt if you knew they meant forever. I didn't want it to mean forever, but it sure felt like it.

I didn't want to leave. I grew up in this city. Do you know how sometimes you get attached to inanimate objects? That's the type of person I was. West Plainfield was my town. At times, this place was boring, but I still had wonderful memories. But I had to leave for a new start. A new life. A new beginning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, third story I have posted! I'm going to be so busy posting If Things Weren't Meant To Be, The Long Journey Ahead, and this story. xD Oh well. This one is worth it! At least I think so. I hope you enjoyed the first chapter.

Constructive criticism in the form of comments always helps me become a better writer. So, please comment!