Status: Thank you for reading!

The Beginning of the End

Set Into Motion

Gerard's Point Of View

The day after Lilly stopped talking to me, something happened. That was the only thing I could tell. Secretly, I met up with Ray, Nicole, Melissa, and Matt (even if I wanted to punch him in the face) at the corner store by the school. We had to have a drawing of the straws and we needed this done in privacy. It was about asking Lilly what was wrong.

It's been close to two months and she hasn't said anything to us. All of us could tell that something was bothering her; the look on her face said it all. Nicole and Melissa even noticed how much weight our friend was dropping so quickly. I was the very first to see it but I didn't want to say it because that would tell them that I like her. Instead, I hinted to Melissa about it by stating that Lilly looked different but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. From there, she figured it out.

You're probably thinking why we're having a meeting about who was going to have a talk with Lilly. The fact is, none of us wanted to ask her because we thought that if we did do that, it'd stress her out and she'd block herself from all of us. Actually, she's already done that. She doesn't speak to any of us. She doesn't even meet up with us in the morning. I always find her in homeroom when I get there.

We all had our straws in our hands, and at the count of three, we all revealed to each other the straws. Matt was the lucky winner with the short straw. Everyone else sighed in relief but I wanted to hurt him. Anyone but him, please anyone!

I don't think he was too fond of the idea that he had to pry the information out of Lilly because he looked extremely nervous.

"Can someone go? I-I don't want to do this," he whispered, kicking a pebble.

I wanted to raise my hand right away and take the right from him but if I did that, they would know. I waited in silence as all of them bickered about not wanting to hurt Lilly. I pretended to be angry and screamed I would do it since they were all chickens.

Needless to say, it worked. Now my only problem was how I was going to get Lilly to look my way, much less talk to me. She was so isolated from us; it was depressing to see.

Argh, what do I do in order to get her to even know I exist? I could write a note to her in class. That wouldn't work. She'd probably crumple the paper up or the teacher would catch us and read it to the class.

I could stop her in the hallway like she did to me her first few weeks here. No, that would bring back memories of Jeff and I didn't want her to cry. I hate it when a girl cries and I can't do anything to stop the tears.

Crap, what do I do? Asking the friends wouldn't help since they were clueless to this to begin with. Then I had it. It's so easy and simple, why didn't I think of it sooner? Wow, I'm stupid. I'll just go to her house with her and ask her then. Her mom wouldn't be home right away. Perfect!