Status: Thank you for reading!

The Beginning of the End

Now What?

Lilly's Point Of View

It's been one full month and mom still isn't out of the hospital. I want to check her out, I want her home, but the doctors and nurses won't let me. They said that she's very weak&#151yeah, even after the fact she only fainted once and that was when we returned home from the party.

Seeing that she has to rely on machines to be okay frustrated me and made me cry. I hate crying, and I detest crying in front of mom, but that's all I can do. I regret not having the mother-daughter bond most mothers and daughters have. I let myself cry in front of her to show her that I wasn't shutting her out any more.

The doctor tried to explain mom's condition, but I begged him not to. I was sure I wouldn't understand the man's complicated terms anyways. Although I took Biology freshman year of high school, that didn't mean I understand everything that I learned. Even if I did know exactly what he was talking about, that would only make me more miserable. It's already too much knowing that there isn't a cure for cancer.

Right now, I was studying mom. She was asleep but she was having an uneasy sleep. Her fingers were constantly twitching and so was her eyebrow. Her doctor and numerous nurses offered medication to help the sleeping become easier, but she refused. I'm not too sure why but I think it's because she doesn't want her body to rely on medicine too much.

Mom was going to be asleep for a while. I finished all my homework in school. I don't want to go home because I'll be alone. I don't like being alone because, you guessed it, I feel lonely. I'm strange, whatever.

Instead, I walked out to one of the nurses and followed her into the cafeteria. It was just after five p.m. so there weren't that many people in here. I grabbed an apple and a bag of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, waiting in line. Mom would like those for when she woke up.

When I walked back into the room, mom was awake, reading a thick book. Some would think it was a novel, but I knew better. That book was her attorney things. I was ignorant about much of her job but I did know she was working when the doctor told her bed rest, a lot of it, and she isn't following orders.

"Mom, stop working," I whined, taking the book from her hands and replacing them with the bag of cookies.

"Oh cookies!" she grinned, opening the bag and stuffing a few into her mouth.

I glared at her sternly. "Stop trying to change the subject."

"Why aren't you and Gerard dating yet?"

I groaned loudly. Why did the roles of mom and daughter switch so suddenly? Why did I tell her about Gerard? She was only going to make me feel awkward and nervous. Oh right, I wanted to have a closer relationship with her.

"Honestly mom, I don't know," I answered, sitting down in the plastic chair beside her bed.

She smiled, looking into my eyes for a minute. Then her eyes moved to the door. I turned, seeing Gerard with a bag in his hands. He smiled seeing the two of us before walking into the room.

"Hi Mrs. Summers. My mom told me to give you these books you wanted to read," Gerard said, taking hardcover books out of the bag and placing them on the table next to her bed.

"Thank you Gerard and thank your mom for me too."

"Hey!" I whined, "why didn't you just ask me to lend you my books to read?"

"Because sweetie, I don't fancy reading your stories about horror and vampires."

"It isn't that bad! Interview With A Vampire is good!" I pouted.

"As much as this argument is amusing me, do you think I could borrow Lilly for a few hours? I'll bring her back," Gerard asked politely. He actually used his top manners on mom. Wow, he's sucking up to no end.

"Sure, sure," mom said without thinking about it.

Gerard grinned happily and pulled me out of the hospital. I was in shock. Did she just say okay to a boy hanging out with me without arguing? I think I have a fever!