Status: Thank you for reading!

The Beginning of the End

Say Hello To The Queen Of Complaining

My hair was in a tight bun as I checked myself in the mirror, yet again. I still had to do that whenever I had an outfit on. I'll admit it annoys me when I do that but the habit hasn't died after all these years.

I was wearing a blue kimono-like dress that reached to my knees. Mrs. Way was a big sweetheart and decided to buy it for me when she saw it in a shop the other week. I'm not sure how she knew my size and that I would like it, but it fits and I'm more than positive mom would love it when I showed her the dress.

Oh, I forgot to mention a little fact. Today is my 18th birthday. I'm finally 18 and I'm still unsure with if I should go find Erik or not. I can't leave mom here while I go on a person search. She needs me. Damn it, things would be so much easier if she never developed cancer. Damn it, I shouldn't even think that! I'm blaming her for this and that isn't right at all. What is wrong with me?

Maybe I should talk to mom about it. For sure, it's obvious I miss Erik. Why I ever stopped talking to him doesn't even make sense to me. I could have easily gotten his home number and called him everyday.

Knowing mom, she would tell me to go find my best friend. The more I thought about it, the more I realized what I wanted to do sounds like some cheesy drama that only 40 people would watch.

Erik might not even remember. I bet he found another person to replace me as his best friend. I should be angry or sad about that but I'm not only because Gerard replaced him as my best friend. How sad is it that my boyfriend is my best friend?

I didn't even want to dress up today. Eighteen is just another year older on earth. Eighteen is just another year that I have to remember that life sucks. Do I sound like a stupid little kid wanting attention? Yes, except I don't want the attention.

"Lillian! Five more minutes!" Mr. Way screamed from the front door.

"Yeah, yeah I'm coming," I muttered to myself, trying not to trip in these heels I had no choice but to wear. This is all for mom, she wanted me to wear nice clothes and visit her because my 18th birthday is so important to her. I don't quite get it but I didn't argue.

The phone began to ring as I made my way to the front door. I waited to hear Mikey running down the stairs to answer the caller, but that never happened. He's probably out with his friends again.

I walked back to the kitchen and picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hello," a tired woman breathed into the phone. "Is a Miss Lillian Summers there?"

"Y-yes." My grip on the phone tightened. I was sure it wasn't from any colleges because I hadn't applied to any yet. It wasn't from my job at the bakery since I had today off; and they don't call me by my full first name. This woman is from the hospital.

"Miss Summers, we need you to report to Belleville Hospital as soon as possible. There has been a complication..."

Hearing those words made my world come crashing down on me.