Status: Thank you for reading!

The Beginning of the End

Confessions Of The Heart

Erik led me into his house. It was small, but big enough for one person to live. This meant I shouldn't be here. Erik is of course nice enough to offer me to stay, but he really doesn't want me here. He doesn't have to say it.

"Stop thinking I don't want you here, I do," he said, touching my shoulder.

I cringed and backed myself up against the wall. Erik's mouth gaped open. I don't get what just happened.

"He almost raped you," he said without any hesitance in his voice.

I nodded and looked down at my arm. My wrist was beginning to bruise. How obvious. What else looked damaged? Did my neck have hickeys? I looked away absolutely ashamed of myself.

Erik hugged me and pulled me close to his body. He almost choked me. "Don't do that. You look so damn scared. It's okay. I'll make you all better, I swear," he whispered, hugging me even more.

A couple weeks passed since I left. Frank called me once a day to ask me how I was doing, where I was, and if I would ever come back to them. I received similar calls from Ray, Mikey, and Matt. Gerard was the only one who didn't call and I was glad for that. I didn't want to speak to him. I was still milling over what he did.

One of the things I liked about Erik living close to the beach was how sweet his neighbors were. On either side of his house were middle-aged couples with children in their teens. All of them liked me for some reason.

They would drop by occasionally to give me a box of whichever dessert they baked that day. I sometimes spent my time talking to one of the wives when I saw how nice the weather was outside. They were both sweethearts to say the least.

Erik walked into the kitchen with a plate of funnel cake with him today. That only meant that he went to the boardwalk with all the crowded families. He's brave for going through such a treacherous feat.

We both sat on top of the kitchen counter, hacking away at the large funnel cake. I haven't had these since I lived in West Plainfield with mom. I had forgotten how addicting these things were.

"I'm ready to talk," I told him. He nodded. "Gerard almost raped me, and I left. It scared the life out of me, no joke. I don't know what to do. I miss him but I'm scared to go back. What if it's the same thing all over again?"

He took another piece from the funnel cake. "Lilly bean, you love that man. He made a horrible mistake, absolutely horrible, but you can't hold grudges. If this were someone you didn't care so much for, then I'd tell you to forget him. Have you talked to him since you came here? No, you didn't."

"H-how do you do that?" I asked.

"I know you inside and out. It's something natural."

"Oh that makes sense," I muttered. "I haven't talked to him, no," I admitted.

"Do it. I know you're regretting this already. You'll never know what could happen. Maybe something good and maybe something bad. Either way, you'll feel better knowing that at least you talked and tried to work something out."

I put the plate down and hugged Erik from the side. I sighed contently and gave him one extra squeeze. "Thank you, I love you."

"You're welcome. I don't want to see you sad. I want you to be happy. Go and do what makes you happy."

Go and do what makes me happy. I walked into my room; I guess that's what it's called, and reached for my phone. I didn't have any missed calls or voice mail for once. It felt like someone planned this entire day out for me. Erik bought me funnel cake, we had a serious talk, I'm in a good mood, and I'm about to make a decision that can possibly solve everything or make everything fall to pieces around me.

I ran my fingers nervously through my hair as the other line connected and began to ring. I should've thought of what to say before I decided to wing it and call him.

"Hello?"

His voice didn't sound the same. It sounded sad and weak. I hope I wasn't the reason for that.

"If this is some prank call, I'm hanging up!"

I swallowed the lump in my throat that felt as though it was beginning to close up. "Gerard...It's me."