Status: Complete

As Red as His Eyes

The only chapter

In the dark of the forest there was a path that most kids avoided, it was dark path. One that twisted and turned through the darkest of the trees; passing by the old Grandma Wolfe house and the grave yard where she had been buried after she had been murdered. But this was the regular haunt of a girl whose long blood red hair had given her the ever so original nick name of Red. She always stood among the trees, her hair tucked under the hood of her jacket, munching on cookies that she had stolen from her mother that morning.

The day that life changed for Red though is the day that we are here to hear about.

It was a day like any other, sitting in the branches of an old oak tree, her old beaten sneakers swinging either side of the branch as she munched her way through a still warm chocolate chip cookie. "Hey!" Red looked down from her perch, the cookie still hanging from her mouth, but she let it drop as she saw who was standing there, looking up at her. It was a boy, one she had never seen in town before, one she definitely would have remembered. He looked tall, even from above him, and his bright, white blond hair stood out in the darkness of the trees, but again so the colour of his bright blood red eyes. "Hi..." That was all it took, and the boy's face split in the biggest smile Red had ever seen.

"I said Hey first." The boy teased as he slowly climbed the tree to sit across from Red, his red eyes glinting even brighter as the sun splashed across his face, and the bright blue veins of his face stood out bright against his whiter than white skin. "That you did," She teased back, offering him a cookie from the now chocolate smeared handkerchief. "I'm Red." The boy looked up from his cookie, his skin looking oddly transparent again as the light shifted against his face. "Red? I like it, I'm Hunter." Red smiled as she took another cookie and together they lapsed into a comfortable silence, a silence that was shared over cookies and the love of a quiet space.

It was a few weeks later that Red was walking down the path that wound through the deepest part of the forest. A path that wound past the old grave yard and the now bright and beautiful house that had once been the murder house of old Grandma Wolfe. But for some reason as Red walked towards the massive old gate she felt a cold fear grip her heart. Outside of the old house there was the flash of red and blue lights, red and blue lights that she had remembered the day that the old woman had died. It was in that moment that a small white handkerchief stuffed full of still warm chocolate chip cookies hit the ground, the tie that kept the cookies in the packet coming undone, spilling them all over the leaf covered space around Red's feet.

"Red...Hunter...he's..." Red only stared as Hunter's mom came up to her. Her eyes, so unlike her son's normally, where red from crying. "He went out this morning..." She sobbed again, clutching a blood red cloth to her face. A cloth that reminded Red of Hunter's eyes. "There was a wolf pack combing the forest this morning...Hunter...He didn't make it."

And as cliché as it sounds Red saw red.

The day Hunter Davies went missing was the last anybody saw Lisa 'Red' McGilligan.