Goodbye, Cassie. Charcoal

Goodbye, Cassie.

The polished wood floor holds rocking chair marks from years of the handed down chair. On it sits a graying lady slightly hunched over with her two grandchildren perched on her lap.

The youngest, Abigail, holds her grandmother's withered hand and tenderly lays her golden head on her grandmothers chest. Abigail had turned four in December and her grandmother had not been able to make the celebration. She had been in the hospital with a fractured hip.

The oldest child, Kayla, sits carefully on her lap. She knows that her grandmother is frail and can’t handle very much movement. But she sits up eagerly when Abigail asks for a story. Grandmother’s stories are always the best; better then Mommy’s even.
Their grandmother’s voice was cracked lightly with age but even so it didn’t bother them. Grandmother was one of their favorite people.

“Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful young lady and a young man. They didn’t know it yet, but soon they would fall in love with each other.”

*Flashback*

“I was only seventeen years old when I first met John. I was working behind the counter in the general store at the edge of our town. John had walked in with a few of his friends and they were teasing me about my fiery red hair. John was new to the town then and stood shyly off to the side of the group. But I caught his eye and soon we were talking like old friends.”

“That’s where I got my red hair, isn’t it Gram?” Kayla interrupts.

“Yes it is dear. Most of the women in my family have had it.” She says touching her own now gray hair. “Okay now, back to the story.”

“That was the first of the many times I saw him that wonderful summer. We spent lazy days at the lake together and watched the sun set on the beach. My, it was a lovely summer. We spent most of the days at the movies though. We could watch a movie several times without growing bored of it. We knew that somehow we had to be together.” Her eyes misted at the memories and she delicately dabbed at them with a handkerchief before continuing.

“However, my parents did not approve. They said that something seemed off about him; something strange. But I could not see it. We were too deeply in love to care about others opinions.”

“You got married didn’t you, Gram?” Little Abigail says twisting anxiously in her grandmothers lap. It pains her legs greatly but she smiles gently at Abigail.

“Oh yes we did, Abby. But before that, let’s fill in the spaces between.” She says patting Abigail’s small hand.

“When I found out my parents did not like him, I did everything in my power to defy their wishes and be with him. Sneaking out my window at night was one of them. The one time they almost caught me, but I slipped into my bed just in time. When they left I crawled out the window and down the tree to meet John. John didn’t approve of it though. He wanted my parents to like him, and I suppose that I did too.”
Her smile widens at the memory. To her it seems like yesterday instead of the more than sixty years that it had been. John was always alive in her heart.

“That summer I had a big riding accident. My horse, Skip, got spooked and threw me off. It broke one of my legs and a rib. John stayed by my bed the whole time. After that, my parents couldn’t help but say yes to the marriage. We had a small marriage ceremony when I turned twenty and we loved every minute of it. It was one of the happiest days of my lives.”

“What were the others?” Kayla asks curiously.

“Well, the days your mother and you two were born. I couldn’t have been happier.” She says smiling at the two of them. “I love you girls.”

“We love you too.” They chorus. “Can we finish the story now?” Abigail says impatiently.

“Yes, child: now, where was I? Ah yes.” She clears her throat and continues. “Your mother was born when I turned forty years old. It was a little late and the doctors were afraid I could not go through with it with my age. But your mother was a determined one and I fell instantly in love with her. She grew up fast and after a couple of years was pregnant with Kayla. I never worried for a second. Your mommy is strong and Kayla was healthy. Soon she was blessed with the two of you. I was so happy that I could see your girl’s births.” Her eyes tear up again at the happy memory and Abigail lightly brushes them away. “What’s next?”

“Well, after your mother grew up and had the two of you John and I lived a quiet life. My parents passed away soon after that and I grieved them. But I was happy that they had finally approved of John. They loved him as a son. When I turned seventy and John was seventy-three he was diagnosed with cancer. They didn’t give him long to live; months at the least. But he lived till he was seventy-five and then he- well, he died. It was a very hard time for me. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about him.” Her sniffs echo around the silent room and the two girls stare wide eyed at each other. “You mean he died, just like that?” “Yes, girls; he was very sick.”

“Promise you’ll say goodbye before you leave us Grandma?” Kayla asks now teary eyed.

“Yes, please promise!” Abigail says clinging to her grandma’s frail skin.

“I promise dear ones. Now I think your mother is calling for you. It is about time for you two to get on home. I love you!” She thinks a moment and then adds, “And Abigail, I am sorry for missing your party.” “It’s okay, Gram; maybe next year?” She says kissing her grandmother’s cheek. The girls call their I love you’s and goodbyes to her and she waves steadily from her rocker.

Kayla takes one last look back and sees tears glisten in her grandmother’s blue eyes. “Goodbye, dears.” She says softly. Kayla waves and pastes a grin on her face. “I love you, Gram!” She calls with a final farewell wave.
--
Cassandra Jane died later that night. They say that she was curled up with pictures of all her loved ones. Laid near her heart was one of her whole family. Cassie shall never be forgotten.
-
At the funeral*

“She didn’t say goodbye!” Wails young Abigail as she clings to Kayla’s coat miserably. “She promised and she didn’t! She lied to us!”
Kayla hugs her sister closer and watches as the casket gets lowered mournfully into the frozen ground. “She did, Kay. In her own way she said goodbye to us. She’ll be watching from Heaven now, okay?”
And the two cling to each other and their memories on a frosty day as one of their most beloved family members is lay to rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Story contest submission for the contest Rainbow of Emotions by Moonlit Serenade.

Hope everyone likes it :)

Dedicated to my Great Grandmother that just got out of the hospital two or three days ago with heart failure and my Grandmother who is in the hospital now after getting a knee transplant. You guys are my inspiration. I love you both. :) <3