Status: A contest entry.

The Hero.

One of One.

The rain sprinkles lightly as I walk through the dark streets of New Jersey. I put on my hood and hug myself trying to maintain my body heat.

“Cold night.” Someone says besides me causing me to jump a little.

I turn my head slightly towards my right and see a man dressed in all black, his dark eyes meeting mine. I turn away abruptly without intending to, my heart begins to beat louder as if he could hear my uneasiness.

“Yeah.” I whisper as a response to his earlier comment, concentrating on getting home.

“A lady like yourself shouldn’t be alone in such dark dangerous streets.” He says with a hint of amusement in his voice as I feel his shoulder brush against my own.

I shallow hard.

“Yeah, good thing I’m almost home.” I lie, thinking on those ten long blocks I still had to walk.

“You don’t expect me to believe that, now do you?” He asks as his fingers wrap around my left arm tightly.

I try to shout but my voice only comes out as a squeak.

Even if I did make a sound or a plea of help nobody would come, not after the city pushed away the only person this town had. The hero that protected defenseless people like myself.

“Let me go!” I hiss, my voice trembling.

“Pathetic.” He chuckles coming in front of me and grips my other arm.

“HELP!!” I shout pathetically, but I know it’s no use, no one will ever think of helping me.

“Too bad you idiotic people pushed him away.” The man growls with laughter as he pushes me against the closest building wall.

I gasp feeling the air in my lungs escape from the impact.

I get on my knees and begin to crawl in the darkness trying to find some kind of weapon, suddenly I scream out in pain as I feel my fingers being crushed by a steel boot.

“W-What do you want?” I ask as the tears and rain drops run down my face.

A sob suddenly escapes out of my lips as I feel my finger bones brake under the immense weight.

The man lifts his boot and kneels right besides me, I can feel his breath against my cheek.

“You.” He snarls licking my cheek.

I shudder in disgust and back away slightly, but his hand grabs my chin and turns me so his nose is touching mine.

“I want you and I will have you.” He says in a threatening voice.

I close my eyes and begin to cry letting my tears run down wildly.

“Why me?” I sob asking a pointless question.

“Why not you? You have such a lovely walk.” He whispers the last part in my ear.

I open my eyes and glare at him. “Fuck you.” I hiss shoving him with my good arm.

This movement surprises allowing me two seconds to stand up and begin to run. My heart begins to race fast as I hear his footsteps gaining on me. I push my feet harder and concentrate on the streets ahead trying to ignore the immense pain of my broken fingers.

“GOTCHA!” He shouts as he shoves me into a dark alley way.

I groan as I hit the wet ground. “Not fast enough.” He tells me as he pulls me up by the hair. He grins maniacally as he lets go of my hair and smack me across the face sending me back to the ground. I whimper bringing my hand to my prickling face, I can taste the blood in my mouth.

“Are you going to try and do another fucking stupid thing?!” He shouts as he grabs both my wrists pressing them down on the ground above my head and hovers above me licking his lips.

I shake my head.

“But I will mother fucker.” Another person growls, I hear a loud crushing sound and I gasp as the man holding my wrist falls on top of me.

He grunts and stands up taking me up with him, he wraps and arm around my neck chocking my lightly.

“Get away or she dies.” He shouts tightening his grip on my neck. I begin to wheeze as the oxygen in my lungs begins to die out.

“Let her go and you wont die.” The other guy says taking a step closer.

“And who do you think you are!?”

The other guy stays quiet but continues to move towards us. My wheezing increases as my lungs begin to ask for more oxygen.

“Release her now!” He repeats with fury now standing right in front of us.

My eyes widen as I see his hazel eyes shine from the moon light, his black hair messy from the rain, scars cover his face from previous fights. .

I had seen many pictures of the hero in his disguise, and even when he had his mask on I could see his unique bone structure, the way his eyes narrowed, and the way his lips curled into a snarl, I saw all of that in the guy in front of me. The hero was here to save me.

“You don’t have what it takes to kill me fucker.”

I begin to kick and throw my fist around starting to feel suffocated. The hero launches himself at us, I hit the wet ground hard as I fall on my shoulder hearing a small crack, I try to scream but it just turns into wild coughs as my lungs plead for the cold air.

I lay on the ground holding my arm, any kind of movement made pain soar all the way up to my shoulder, then I hear screams and yelp. I stand up with gritted teeth to prevent from crying out in pain.

I can see two dark figures moving in a violent pattern, each throwing fists at the other.

I move drunkenly and without a warning something heavy crashes against then I feel somebody holding the back of my neck with a tight grip.

“I’ll fucking do it!” The man shouts as he pushes me down, the side of my face touching the wet dirty ground.

The hero says nothing as he stands watching ready to run into action in any given second.

“Get the fuck away and only one person dies tonight.” The man growls pressing my face harder onto the ground.

In a matter of seconds I begin to sob as my whole face meets the ground with much impact, I sob harder as I see the blood puddle growing bigger. I try to pull myself up but every part of my body is exhausted and has given up.

“STAY DOWN!” The hero shouts.

I look at him, his arms around the other’s mans head, he kicks and shouts rubbish and then crack he’s motionless. The hero removes his arms and the man’s limp body falls to the ground.

“Is h-he-”

“He’s dead.” The hero replies flatly as he makes his way to me.

“Are you okay?”

“N-No.” I sob pathetically as he reaches to touch my face.

“You need a hospital.” He says in a worried voice.

“I-I want to go home.” I cry out as more tears run out my eyes.

I feel his hands slip under me, he picks me up and embraces me close to him whispering something I can’t quite make out.

“You’re the hero.” I murmur.

“I’m Gerard.” He says without looking at me.

“Sarah.” I whisper feeling my whole body ache and scream for relieve.

“Sarah.” He repeats as the moonlight shines on his perfect hero face.
♠ ♠ ♠
1271 Words.
C/C are greatly appreciated.
:]