Sequel: The Mustang Tamer
Status: FINISHED!!!

Ten Year Grudge

Chapter 11

Even though it was a bit of a hike and a lot of stress-more on me than the horses-; I loved going to the expo. And a lot of it had to do with the fact that the racetrack was right there. Even though I had mostly mustangs, I still loved watching the races and had connections at the track. Hell, I even knew the partial owner of the horse that had won this year's Belmont Stakes.
After we got the horses settled, I headed straight for the track where races would be held even after nightfall. I parked by the rail, leaning over slightly to get a good look at the starting gate as the horses started loading in.
Ace joined me a few minuets later as I heard the gate attendants call one back, meaning there was one horse left to load.
"Ten bucks says the gray colt wins it," Ace said.
I turned to look at him. "Oh really?"
He nodded, smirking. At least he hadn't said anything about today's earlier...incident.
"Well you obviously weren't here for the post parade. The horse acted like a lunatic."
"Did you see how the horse at the Preakness this year was acting?"
"Yeah," I said grudgingly. I had not been pleased with that particular horse. He had acted insane in the saddling paddock and I was sure he wouldn't have the energy to win the race. I had also bet Leah fifty that the winner of the Kentucky Derby would win the Preakness. And he had lost by a head. "Another sixteenth and he would have lost."
"Well the race wasn't another sixteenth."
"Thank you captain obvious."
"Your welcome lieutenant sarcasm." He took my program and scanned it. "And on the next race I'm betting on the sixth horse."
"Why don't you go put your money where your mouth is, instead of just betting with me?"
"Good idea," he said, handing the program back. "I'll be back."
He turned and walked away and I scanned the program. Normally I didn't gamble, I believed it to be bad luck. But Ace could be right about the next race. The colt's odds were amazing...
Then I noticed another horse's name on the list, and my heart skipped a beat. The colt that had pulled the number one spot's name was Patty's Cake, owned by Patricia and Billy Marstin. That really figured.
I was about to go back to the barn, even if there was a slim chance that Drake and his new flame were around, I wanted to get as far away as possible, when a very familiar voice stopped me, "so who's the Mexican?"
I was not one to run from a confrontation. I tried to avoid them if at all possible, but once someone started it, I had to finish it.
"I don't think that's any of your business now is it?"
Drake leaned up against the rail where Ace had been a few moments before. "Call me nosy."
"I'll call you that a whole bunch of other names. Where would you like me to start?"
"Still have that smart ass mouth I see."
"Only with people I don't like."
"Oh you were liking me plenty a few months ago sweetheart."
"Don't call me that," I hissed. Normally I didn't mind pet names, hell to admit it, I liked them. But with Drake's sarcastic tone and the reminder of our failed relationship, I didn't want to hear it.
"Oh what's the matter baby? He's no good in bed? Now you know exactly how I felt don't you?"
That stung. Drake had been the first man I'd ever been with and to hear that I fell short of anyone's standards, even his, made my already shaky self esteem even more fragile. But I was not about to let it show.
Right as I opened my mouth to retort, a voice that reminded me of pigtails and bubble gum called out, "Drakey!" The next moment Patricia Marstin threw herself at Drake, double D chest first, and rubbed against him. She was wearing a fire red dress that I was pretty sure was painted on it was so tight. The neckline plunged almost to her navel and the hem barely covered her ass. I wondered briefly if she could be arrested for indecent exposure. But then I remembered that most cops were men, which meant they'd probably sit back and hope something slipped.
"So what do you think?" she asked, standing back a few inches. "Good enough for the winner's circle?"
"Perfect sugar lump," Drake said, his eyes still glued to her chest. "But I think it'll be a real shame if I tear it later."
I nearly gagged.
"Like I was saying Nik," Drake said, turning reluctantly back to me. "Some women just don't measure up. Patty here," he rubbed her ass and the dress hitched up another inch, "she goes above and beyond."
"Anything to keep my pooky happy," she said, making me struggle with my gag reflex again.
She glanced at me for the first time. She looked me up and down and dismissed me as non threatening. I considered showing her my favorite finger.
After looking at me for another moment, I think I literally saw her brain click on. It probably hurt her to use her brain for more than matching clothes colors. "Wait, you're Niki-THE Niki? The one that nearly ruined Drake?"
Ruined?
"I mean when we first got together I had to practically retrain him. He needed a little refresher of how to treat a real woman."
I wondered if this was an awkward conversation for anyone but me.
"And I mean look at the way you dress. Baggy t-shirts and cuttoffs? It makes me wonder why Drake ever looked at you twice."
I was about to tell her I used to wear clothes that fit before Drake started calling me fat when a fourth voice broke in. A voice that I was actually happy to hear, but the words surprised me.
"It's not about the clothes, it's about what's under them," Ace said smoothly, putting an arm around my shoulders. If we were alone I would have shoved him off, but after Drake and Patricia's hurtful words, Ace was like a healing balm.
"So you're the new boy toy," Drake said, and I could hear the laughter in his voice. "Where'd you pick him up Nik, customs?"
His words made me feel even worse because now I knew how hurtful they could be and I would've said the exact same thing.
"Actually Nik and I have known each other since we were kids. Isn't that right novia?"
I only hesitated a moment, before putting an arm around Ace's waist and playing along. "Yeah. Our families were...close friends."
"And they were thrilled when they saw that we'd finally...become good friends."
"Yeah, thrilled," I said sarcastically. "Ace, this is Drake."
"Drake-oh you're THAT Drake," he said, much in the same tone Patricia had used on me. "Sorry to steal your girl hombre, but Nik was just-," he looked down at me and smiled. It was almost too believable. "Too much to resist."
"Wait, what?" Drake said and the expression on his face was absolutely priceless.
"Oh, I thought you knew," Ace said, acting sheepish. "We were, uhh...seeing each other about a month before you guys split."
"WHAT?!" Drake ragged. He turned all his attention to me, practically shoving his raven-haired beauty away from him. "I knew it! You little slut-"
That was all he managed to get out before Ace landed a solid right hook in the middle of his handsome face. "If I were you I would watch my language hombre," Ace said between his teeth. "And the way I hear it, you weren't the most faithful. Why you went to that puta," he jerked his chin in Patricia's direction, "when you had Niki is a mystery to me. But I guess that was your loss my gain."
Either Ace was being serious or he was a very good actor. Nevertheless, I had to put my two sense in. I took a few steps towards Drake where he was sitting on his ass, holding his bleeding nose.
"Perfect for the winner's circle sugar lump," I said. With that, I laced my fingers with Ace's and led him towards the grandstands.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you think? I've been wanted to write that chapter since I posted the last one but I haven't had the time. Hopefully I'll be able to post the next one within a few days. Thanks for reading! Comment, rate, subscribe, check out my other stories, and all that good stuff! :)
Update: Editing