Sequel: The Mustang Tamer
Status: FINISHED!!!

Ten Year Grudge

Chapter 14

When I let Tribute into the big arena in the main building, the stallion took off galloping and bucking. I kept an eye on him while I locked the gate and dropped his halter next to it.
"You really are a show-off," I muttered, trying to put the conversation with Ace out of my mind while I worked with my horse. I always worked with him a little the night before we did demonstrations to get him used to his surroundings. It was also a good time for the other vendors to enjoy the show since they were so rarely able to step away from their booths during the next few days.
The stallion continued his solo show for a few more minuets while I watched from the gate. He finally slowed to a trot with his head held high and tail flagged out behind him. I whistled and he turned his attention to me. I made a sweeping motion with my hand and he halted and turned his rump to face me.
"Whoa!" I called as I started running. I sprang onto his back and whispered "up", tapping his shoulder with my leg. He reared.
I went through one of my routines while people gathered in the stands to watch. The stallion always knew when he had an audience and really preformed for them. When the routine ended, I barely had to give him the command to bow.
I swung my leg over his neck as the small crowd began to clap and took a bow myself. Then I looked back at Tribute. "Off with you," I said, flicking a wrist. Tribute turned to take a lap around the arena again, then lowered himself to roll.

When I cooled Tribute down and took him back to Stallion Avenue, I had an unwanted guest snooping around.
"What do you want?" I asked as I let Tribute in to his stall and took his halter off.
"I don't think we finished our earlier discussion."
"I think Ace ended it perfectly," I retorted, noting the butterfly bandage on his nose and his matching black eyes. I pushed past Drake to walk where I had my booth set up.
"I never thought you'd have an alien fight your battles for you."
I whirled to face him. "Watch it. You don't think I could kick your ass from here to California?"
"You don't have the guts."
"Did you just come here to piss me off or did you have another issue you wanted to discuss?"
"I just wanted to warn you not to mess with me."
"Oh believe me, I don't want to be within a hundred miles of you. But it seems you keep finding your way to me. If I didn't know better I'd say you were jealous that someone else moved in on your territory."
He stepped closer, effectively pinning me into a corner. Reflexively, my chin when up a few notches. I didn't think Drake was very dangerous and I could probably kick his ass to China if I really wanted to.
"You're a lying, cheating slut is what you are," he growled.
My chin bumped up another inch as if daring the ass to do something. "Not better than a lying, cheating bastard," I snarled, trying my best to keep my voice down.
I saw his hand form a fist and reacted instinctively. I knifed my knee up and hit my target: a part of his anatomy that I knew intimately.
The only sound he made was his knees crashing to the cement as he grabbed himself on the way down. He then rolled into a fetal position and began rocking.
"Well hell, I thought you might need backup, but you got to all the fun stuff before me," Ace said from behind me. I turned around and tried to smile at him, but I felt shaken. I had never had a man threaten me, and Drake had looked like he had been close to carrying through on the threat.
Ace saw that and the smile faded from his face. He walked to me and wrapped a supporting arm around my shoulder. "You want me to call the cops and arrest him for harassment?" he questioned. Drake's already pale face lost another shade of color.
"He's not worth it," I said finally. "Getting someone arrested means paperwork. I hate paperwork."
Ace smiled. "Come on, let's get back to the hotel."
I waited until we were out of Drake's line of vision to stop. "I don't want to leave Tribute here unattended."
"Why? He won't be walking straight for a couple of days."
"Call me overprotective."
So we waited a half an hour until Drake managed to drag himself to his feet and shuffle off. Then I let Ace steer me towards the truck. We checked my other horse then went to grab a bite to eat.
"You okay?" he asked when we began filling our plates at the Chinese Buffet: my favorite type of restaurant.
"Why wouldn't I be?"
"You just seemed pretty shaken. What did that asshole say to you?"
"Nothing," I said quickly-too quickly.
"Bullshit."
"He just said not to mess with him."
Ace didn't laugh it off like I'd tried to. He frowned. "Maybe we should watch out for him."
"Oh don't get paranoid Ace," I chided.
"Sometimes paranoia is a good thing."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes it's been forever. So sorry for that. Senior year sucks with 3 AP classes and afterschool activities and blah blah blah. But I figured I'd better get a chapter or two in before the holidays and everything gets too crazy. Comment, subscribe, check out the other stuff! Thanks for all the comments, they're the only reason I keep writing :)
Update: Editing; actually one of my favorite processes